Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your phone feel warm doing daily tasks? Specifically under the camera

• Yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

breez3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
My iPhone's can get a bit warm when using day to day tasks Specifically under the camera, such as mildly intensive browsing to imore, macrumors, and reddit. Using Appolo can also warm it up. Facebook app can also make it feel a bit warm, and even making phone calls can warm it up.

Are all of these normal to heat up the phone? Temp gun can read up to 34.4C room temp is 22.2

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My iPhone's can get a bit warm when using day to day tasks Specifically under the camera, such as mildly intensive browsing to imore, macrumors, and reddit. Using Appolo can also warm it up. Facebook app can also make it feel a bit warm, and even making phone calls can warm it up.

Are all of these normal to heat up the phone? Temp gun can read up to 34.4C room temp is 22.2
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-temperature-and-heat.2124522

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-temp.2122991/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-and-x-heat-during-phone-calls-and-other-uses.2123827/

breez3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
None of those are really helpful looking to see what others have to say as well.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
All electronics use power. Power does work and is turned into heat. It's normal.

breez3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
All electronics use power. Power does work and is turned into heat. It's normal.

Does yours get warm browsing the internet on sites like macrumors when going back and fourth through posts?

breez3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
I have noticed my X is also generally a bit warmer then my 7 is that normal as well?

BR3W3R

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2016
You are sure??
When browsing sites like iMore, Macrumors, IGN, and other places similar I can feel heat below the camera, the temp in the room varies room 70-75 Fahrenheit, and my co-workers temp gun read the phone at a max of 92 degrees in the office. Yesterday evening just trying to use it outside it hit easily over 98 degrees and was 80 degrees out but at this time I was trying to load a page and it wouldnt load so I was forced to use Airplane mode.

Guess I am wondering if anyone else has had this? And can anyone feel underneath the camera while doing moderate browsing for 5 - 10 minutes, (flipping between sites decently quick, and loading some posts)

I would be enternally grateful if someone else had a temp gun or could test and see if gets warm doing what i described above...

P.S. Happens on two iPhones, personal is iPhone X ATT, Work is iPhone 7 Verizon

breez3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
I have seen lots of people saying theres never gets warm. Just wanting to make sure that it is actually normal when browsing for the phone to warm up.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I have seen lots of people saying theres never gets warm. Just wanting to make sure that it is actually normal when browsing for the phone to warm up.
It’s normal. Why are you holding it by the camera?

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
not paranoid, perfectly explainable: under your camera are the iPhones guts: the A11 Bionic :cool:
(and of course, all other motherboard fish 'n chips ;) highlighted in orange).

IGBwGF2.jpg

source: ifixit

breez3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2018
not paranoid, perfectly explainable: under your camera are the iPhones guts: the A11 Bionic :cool:
(and of course, all other motherboard fish 'n chips ;) highlighted in orange).

IGBwGF2.jpg

source: ifixit

So for that region on the back of the phone to heat up browsing the internet to roughly 86-90 when browsing the internet, making phone calls, or mostly anything is normal??

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
So for that region on the back of the phone to heat up browsing the internet to roughly 86-90 when browsing the internet, making phone calls, or mostly anything is normal??
Can you ask again, please?

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
I don't own an iPhone X but I have been seeing a lot of questions and complaints, on this and other forums, about the iPhone X getting hot, at least hotter than what iPhone users are used to.

If it isn't "too hot to touch"and if you're not getting any error messages, I will say that this appears to be normal. The logic board design on the iPhone X is different, opting for a dual-layer, sandwich like design that concentrates the heat signature to a smaller area of the housing. Check out the great photo posted by @nieks.

Rest assured, the iPhone contains several thermistors designed to measure and monitor the heat of the logic board and if anything goes out of spec, you will see an error message.

~90F is not that hot for an electronics device. Generally, systems will cut out when they reach >70C (~160F).

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
~90F is not that hot for an electronics device. Generally, systems will cut out when they reach >70C (~160F).

In addition: on my previous (unibody, mid 2009, 13") Macbook Pro I used an app to monitor several system statistics. Under heavy load, I've seen it reach temperatures of 90 to 100° Celcius (194-212° Fahrenheit)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.