Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BR3W3R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Was just wondering if its normal for a phone to warm up during a phone call, during a call today that was 6 minutes roughly 7 minutes I noticed my phone was warmer, roughly 90 degrees according to thermometer. Also warms up using safari and facebook to about that same temp after 10 minutes of use. Happens on my X and my 7.

Different Carriers, Different Carriers. Is this hand heat? or what? Not using a case.

Trying to figure out if normal?

Banich2

Suspended
Apr 21, 2015
San Francisco, California
Was just wondering if its normal for a phone to warm up during a phone call, during a call today that was 6 minutes roughly 7 minutes I noticed my phone was warmer, roughly 90 degrees according to thermometer. Also warms up using safari and facebook to about that same temp after 10 minutes of use. Happens on my X and my 7.

Different Carriers, Different Carriers. Is this hand heat? or what? Not using a case.

Trying to figure out if normal?

I’ve experienced the same for years but have never had any actual issues arise from it

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
All of the apps and use cases you mentioned might get up the phone because of constant use of wireless signals and other services running in the background. The Facebook app is well known for being a resource hog.

BR3W3R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
All of the apps and use cases you mentioned might get up the phone because of constant use of wireless signals and other services running in the background. The Facebook app is well known for being a resource hog.

I tried the same on my wifes iphone 8 and my 7 and X get warmer then her 8 is that just because of the size? I mean its barely a degree warmer. And you are sure its all normal.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I tried the same on my wifes iphone 8 and my 7 and X get warmer then her 8 is that just because of the size? I mean its barely a degree warmer. And you are sure its all normal.

There’s always some difference in battery, they can’t be made like to like. That’s just how the battery technology is. Given it’s just a degree, I won’t worry too much.

Plus, all iPhones come with surge protection chip. Your phone can never get dangerously hot. It will shut itself down if the temperature was getting too high.

BR3W3R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
There’s always some difference in battery, they can’t be made like to like. That’s just how the battery technology is. Given it’s just a degree, I won’t worry too much.

Plus, all iPhones come with surge protection chip. Your phone can never get dangerously hot. It will shut itself down if the temperature was getting too high.

Okay thank you guess was just trying to find out whats normal.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
You can probably feel the heat more without a case too. I rarely feel heat because I have a case but I used it without a case a bit and noticed the heat more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.