Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
So I am getting ready to decide whether to sell online or trade in my work/business trusty reliable iPhone 7+ I got from Apple 3 years ago to replace with the upcoming 11 model (XR version).

Have confusion question from experts here.....

I go to the Apple website and find out there are 2 different trade in values differing by $75.

On the "buy an XR" page, I get offered $270 trade in price.
On the "trade in your phone at Apple store for a gift card" and I get offered
$195.

Why would there be a difference in prices for the same exact phone I am trading in ???
From the "Buy an XR iPhone" Apple page:
fyTr1C.png

From the "Gift card trade in" Apple page:
4OhZTH.png

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
This could be a promotion offer on a trade-in for the XR, is the same amount offered against other iPhones?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
This could be a promotion offer on a trade-in for the XR, is the same amount offered against other iPhones?

If I change it to the XS Max, the trade in value remains $270.

My question is why would Apple offer 2 different prices depending on which page you land on ?
Sort of misleading isn't it ?

What difference would it make whether I walk into an Apple store to trade in the phone and get $195 versus mailing it into Apple for the same phone and get $270 ???

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
If I change it to the XS Max, the trade in value remains $270.

My question is why would Apple offer 2 different prices depending on which page you land on ?
Sort of misleading isn't it ?

What difference would it make whether I walk into an Apple store to trade in the phone and get $195 versus mailing it into Apple for the same phone and get $270 ???

The $270 trade-in value guarantees you are buying a new iPhone and thus likely to bring in recurring revenue for Apple.

The $195 trade-in value doesn't guarantee you are buying a new iPhone and thus less likely to bring in any recurring revenue for Apple.

It's a sweetener to get you to buy another iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.