Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johny328i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
Guys, I've read in 2-3 places that people have done it. According to them - the battery fits, connector is the same, the cable is a bit longer, but they bend it so it fits.

This is 200mAh more. Anyone here done this? My battery is 3 yr old and at 810 cycles, I have to buy a new one, and am thinking to try this

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Guys, I've read in 2-3 places that people have done it. According to them - the battery fits, connector is the same, the cable is a bit longer, but they bend it so it fits.

This is 200mAh more. Anyone here done this? My battery is 3 yr old and at 810 cycles, I have to buy a new one, and am thinking to try this

Stick to official Apple. That will give better battery life than a third party 7 battery.

johny328i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
Either way, I'm buying third party battery. I don't believe in this original apple accessories and parts :)
Like the myth that non original cable will kill your phone, or it won't charge of fully and so on.

Reactions: riteshritesh

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I did it a couple of months ago. Works fine and gives a bit longer SOT.

Bought it from an ebay store in Germany with good reviews for 16€.

Before the original replacement from Apple passed out 9 months later. For me it was worth a try

johny328i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
This is nice to hear. I'll go pick one up and try it too.

By the way, there are multiple reviews of aliexpress batteries with 2200mah capacity. Some of the reviews point out they are real, and some of them do down to 2000 mah after some months, but still, this is 300mah more than OEM.

Think I will try the 7 one first, and then order a bigger one and try it too.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
This is nice to hear. I'll go pick one up and try it too.

By the way, there are multiple reviews of aliexpress batteries with 2200mah capacity. Some of the reviews point out they are real, and some of them do down to 2000 mah after some months, but still, this is 300mah more than OEM.

Think I will try the 7 one first, and then order a bigger one and try it too.

God Bless!

johny328i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
Guys, you know that there isn't some kind of apple magic in their batteries, right?

They are built in China too.

johny328i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
Desay is my OEM 3 year old now, battery. Upon quick Google search, this comes up.

dc68612d00c4b6f90e04c488317cdc46.jpg

965d2a8e999a136bc7e165eeb8ef7355.jpg

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
No kidding? I once bought a third party battery for my MBA, and it didn't really hold much of a charge at all. Half of Apple's real one.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

What kind of SOT do you get on iOS 12?

Can’t say about your third party battery, but with Apple’s official battery I expect your SOT to at least double or even triple compared to what you have now after so many cycles and this long a period of time.

johny328i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
Thank you for the video! There are more than 10 people in the comments who did this with success with no problems.

Now I barely get to 2 hours on mobile data, and 4 at home on wifi.

Last edited:

johny328i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
So I should update the thread :

- I've bought an iPhone 7 battery, the connector is the same, as the size. The cable though is longer, and in my case, came with a metal one, that couldn't bend enough to fit. So, if one decides to do it - find one with a softer type of flat cable. It will work.

Then I've bought another third party battery for the 6s, and now I'm getting like 50% more screen on time.

With the original, 3 year old 80% health and 810 cycles battery, I was getting 2 hours of screen on time on mobile data, and 4 on wifi.

Now I'm getting 3 hours of screen on time on mobile data. Didn't test it on wifi yet.

I want to try out Nohon's 2200mAh polymer battery - there are pretty good reviews for it. It has the stated capacity for real.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
So I should update the thread :

- I've bought an iPhone 7 battery, the connector is the same, as the size. The cable though is longer, and in my case, came with a metal one, that couldn't bend enough to fit. So, if one decides to do it - find one with a softer type of flat cable. It will work.

Then I've bought another third party battery for the 6s, and now I'm getting like 50% more screen on time.

With the original, 3 year old 80% health and 810 cycles battery, I was getting 2 hours of screen on time on mobile data, and 4 on wifi.

Now I'm getting 3 hours of screen on time on mobile data. Didn't test it on wifi yet.

I want to try out Nohon's 2200mAh polymer battery - there are pretty good reviews for it. It has the stated capacity for real.

I’m 100% sure with an official Apple Battery you’ll get 4-5 hrs SOT instead of just 3 hrs.

johny328i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
Keep believing in magic, it's up to you.

There aren't many phones that get 5 hours of screen on time on mobile data, at all. IPhone 6s didn't shine in this aspect back when it was new, now with iOS 12 - at all.

I remember my SE barely get to 4 hour mark back in the day. Mostly 3-3:30.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Keep believing in magic, it's up to you.

There aren't many phones that get 5 hours of screen on time on mobile data, at all. IPhone 6s didn't shine in this aspect back when it was new, now with iOS 12 - at all.

I remember my SE barely get to 4 hour mark back in the day. Mostly 3-3:30.

My aunt’s iPhone SE gets around 6 hrs SOT with FB, social media etc and no battery optimisation. On iOS 12.

Whether you like it or not you’re buying peanuts by paying for monkeys.

On iOS 11 when my dad got a fresh battery for his SE, he used to get almost 6 hrs SOT on LTE with a lot of Google Maps usage.

Buying crappy batteries won’t get you that.

I have been talking to somebody who has a new 6s and gets 6 hrs SOT but on Wifi.

johny328i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
BS. On wifi - maybe. Go out, pull up the brightness and use it only on mobile data, and it will be dead in 3-4 hours tops.

I'm using a different phone every year, I've got plenty experience, the most I've got EVER is from a Huawei mate 10 pro, which is 5 hours SoT on mobile, and up to 10 on wifi at home. And that phone is still in top 10 of the most battery enduring phones.

The most I've saw with my own eyes, is a Huawei P30 Pro - 6 hours on mobile. And up to this day, no phone managed to top is result, yet. Neither here, or on a review or YouTube video.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
My aunt’s iPhone SE gets around 6 hrs SOT with FB, social media etc and no battery optimisation. On iOS 12.

Whether you like it or not you’re buying peanuts by paying for monkeys.

On iOS 11 when my dad got a fresh battery for his SE, he used to get almost 6 hrs SOT on LTE with a lot of Google Maps usage.

Buying crappy batteries won’t get you that.

I have been talking to somebody who has a new 6s and gets 6 hrs SOT but on Wifi.
2 months ago you told me an 6s would get 3.5h max.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ordered-a-6s-with-no-regrets.2178541/page-3#post-27309468

Maybe relax a bit with your wording.

I still get around 4-5h with my iphone 7 battery in the 6s. But avoid brightness over 50% or GPS use where possible.

johny328i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
I'll see if I stick with the 6s a bit more, and if I do - I'll bite the bullet and get a 2200mah battery. This is 30% more capacity. As I see it - at least 1 hour SoT on mobile data more.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I really would advise buying a first party battery, or at least from a reputable and reliable third party source. Not a no-name Chinese sticker. I bought one of the those for my MacBook and within 2 months it was at 50% health, died within an hour and a half, and caused random shutdowns. Not to mention that the battery was designed incorrectly, so it didn't even fit properly...

riteshritesh

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2016
Mumbai INDIA
I can vouch that original Apple batteries are a lottery too. In December 18, I changed my 6s's battery under the discount program.
Till last week ( as I sold mine just yesterday), the SoT had fallen drastically ( no numeric values available),so much so that I was back to charging twice daily, if social media usage was particularly high. The battery health was at 98%.

Now I am on a 2 year old 7 ( which shows battery health at 79%), but still manages to last quite long for similar usage as on 6s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.