Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
wasnt sure whether to put this here on under iphone.

My iPhone battery percentage indicator is off. There is about ten percent worth of charge above 100%. ive attempted to correct this by calibrating the battery but it seems to revert shortly after.

I was going to attempt a clean install of iOS without erasing my phone.. I think this is done through dfu mode or something? If anyone has clear instructions for how to do this I'd appreciate it!

I'm wondering is there are any other suggestions/fixes out there?

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
What do you mean there is about 10% worth of charge above 100%?

Are you referring to your battery being above health? If so that is completely normal and it is not reported by iOS. Its not possible for iOS to report a 110% capacity.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
You mean it lasts on 100% for as long as it lasts from 90-80%? If so, that is normal. It's not actually the true percent.

Reactions: Galacticos

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
What do you mean there is about 10% worth of charge above 100%?

Are you referring to your battery being above health? If so that is completely normal and it is not reported by iOS. Its not possible for iOS to report a 110% capacity.

Maybe that's it?
When I charge fully my phone sits for a long time above 100%. Today it was 6 hours of standby time 15mins usage and didn't go below 100%.

As I said I've recalibrated the battery a few times and that seems to reduce but it soon returns to the original pattern.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Maybe that's it?
When I charge fully my phone sits for a long time above 100%. Today it was 6 hours of standby time 15mins usage and didn't go below 100%.

As I said I've recalibrated the battery a few times and that seems to reduce but it soon returns to the original pattern.

Also, Just as a side note, the iPhone battery tracker is a just a general measurement. It's not 100% accurate.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Maybe that's it?

I will fully explain why it does that in about 30 minutes. On mobile right now. Need my computer.
[doublepost=1494271227][/doublepost]iOS reports the battery at 100% when it actually reaches 95%.

100% = 95% actual
50% = 47.5% actual
5% = 4.75% actual
1% = 1% actual

This is why the battery always seems to be stuck on 100% longer than any other percent. This is because it is really going through 5% before the iOS meter moves. This is why it appears to stick to 100% for hours at a time, because its really draining from 100% -> 95% before it starts getting reported by iOS.

So even though your battery health is above 100%, that doesn't change how iOS reports the battery percent or how the battery meter works. If your battery health is really 110%, that means each percentage point is worth .1% more than normal. But iOS will still report it as a max of 100%.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
I will fully explain why it does that in about 30 minutes. On mobile right now. Need my computer.
[doublepost=1494271227][/doublepost]iOS reports the battery at 100% when it actually reaches 95%.

100% = 95% actual
50% = 47.5% actual
5% = 4.75% actual
1% = 1% actual

This is why the battery always seems to be stuck on 100% longer than any other percent. This is because it is really going through 5% before the iOS meter moves. This is why it appears to stick to 100% for hours at a time, because its really draining from 100% -> 95% before it starts getting reported by iOS.

So even though your battery health is above 100%, that doesn't change how iOS reports the battery percent or how the battery meter works. If your battery health is really 110%, that means each percentage point is worth .1% more than normal. But iOS will still report it as a max of 100%.

I knew the reporting wasn't accurate, I just didn't know how or why it is that inaccurate, so thanks!

I haven't checked if my battery health is greater than 110% (by which I presume you mean my battery has more charge than the specs say), but it sounds like the reporting of actual percentage could explain the difference in itself.

Another helpful post! Thanks

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Daniel80

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2016
Romania
Let's see how you explain this: 97% battery level put the cable to charge and immediately (less than 1second) jump to 100%
It's embarrassing for Apple to make an attractive phone but not to be able to keep battery management under control in 2017.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Let's see how you explain this: 97% battery level put the cable to charge and immediately (less than 1second) jump to 100%
It's embarrassing for Apple to make an attractive phone but not to be able to keep battery management under control in 2017.

As already mentioned in this thread multiple times. The battery meter is not 100% actuate, it is merely an estimate. Jumps like that signal issues with the battery itself. There is nothing wrong with Apple and "battery management". Battery percentages are ALWAYS an estimate because battery health fluctuates 1000 times a day based on what the battery is doing, the temperature it is in and so on.

Daniel80

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2016
Romania
Do you say it's normal to jump 97% to 100% in less than 1 sec?
Let's be serious, I had Android and Windows Phone and I have not seen so many "wonderful" things like Apple.
Let's get to know Apple but when I see the problems they have with their batteries and their management ask me questions.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Do you say it's normal to jump 97% to 100% in less than 1 sec?
Let's be serious, I had Android and Windows Phone and I have not seen so many "wonderful" things like Apple.
Let's get to know Apple but when I see the problems they have with their batteries and their management ask me questions.
Again, without knowing the health of the battery or the load that the battery is under, no one can claim if its normal or not. There are too many factors involved to say something is "normal". This has absolutely nothing with Apple. Every single battery will behave the same. Its not like Apple is making the battery, so lets not be silly. A battery is literally a combination of chemicals, therefore different results will occur. There is intended behavior, but intended does not make it fool proof.

sacha_g88

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2017
As already mentioned in this thread multiple times. The battery meter is not 100% actuate, it is merely an estimate. Jumps like that signal issues with the battery itself. There is nothing wrong with Apple and "battery management". Battery percentages are ALWAYS an estimate because battery health fluctuates 1000 times a day based on what the battery is doing, the temperature it is in and so on.

Just curious. An app like Battery Life reports the current level of 'battery wear'. Since the capacity can fluctuate based on what the phone is doing or the environment it is in, the 'battery wear' will also fluctuate since it is representative of how much design capacity has been 'lost'. But this doesn't mean necessarily that the battery has degraded, since the phone may just be doing some heavy lifting like downloading movies or updates, or be at a low charge in the 20s etc... Am I getting this right?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Just curious. An app like Battery Life reports the current level of 'battery wear'. Since the capacity can fluctuate based on what the phone is doing or the environment it is in, the 'battery wear' will also fluctuate since it is representative of how much design capacity has been 'lost'. But this doesn't mean necessarily that the battery has degraded, since the phone may just be doing some heavy lifting like downloading movies or updates, or be at a low charge in the 20s etc... Am I getting this right?
Kind of. The fluctuation will be about 5% here and there, but it will always return to the "current" health once it recharges to 100%. But battery life is not accurate as its only estimating. The only way to get real time battery health is via Coconutbattery.

Bryan Ang

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018
Again, without knowing the health of the battery or the load that the battery is under, no one can claim if its normal or not. There are too many factors involved to say something is "normal". This has absolutely nothing with Apple. Every single battery will behave the same. Its not like Apple is making the battery, so lets not be silly. A battery is literally a combination of chemicals, therefore different results will occur. There is intended behavior, but intended does not make it fool proof.
[doublepost=1518529028][/doublepost]erm i need to ask u something. I have an iphone 7 plus on IOS 11.2.5 . My battery have some kind of problems .
ok u see i use my phone until 1% then i charged it up. When leave it for like half an hour and i came back to turn on the screen , i can see that my phone battery jumps from 43% to 45% (example) and i try restarting i can see it goes 47% and down back to 45% . Is that normal?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
[doublepost=1518529028][/doublepost]erm i need to ask u something. I have an iphone 7 plus on IOS 11.2.5 . My battery have some kind of problems .
ok u see i use my phone until 1% then i charged it up. When leave it for like half an hour and i came back to turn on the screen , i can see that my phone battery jumps from 43% to 45% (example) and i try restarting i can see it goes 47% and down back to 45% . Is that normal?
The percent is merely an estimate of the remaining battery life. It’s normal for it to jump around a bit because it may not be calibrated. Don’t worry about small jumps like that. On a second topic, you shouldn’t let your battery drop to 1%. It’s really bad for it. In reality, you shouldn’t let it drop below 10-20% if you can help it.

Bryan Ang

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018
The percent is merely an estimate of the remaining battery life. It’s normal for it to jump around a bit because it may not be calibrated. Don’t worry about small jumps like that. On a second topic, you shouldn’t let your battery drop to 1%. It’s really bad for it. In reality, you shouldn’t let it drop below 10-20% if you can help it.
Thanks for replying me that fast hahaha..... but when i first buy this phone the battery doesnt seem to drop 2 % but after 1 month of usage the battery starts jumping . I will keep that in mind to not charge on 1% thx :D

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks for replying me that fast hahaha..... but when i first buy this phone the battery doesnt seem to drop 2 % but after 1 month of usage the battery starts jumping . I will keep that in mind to not charge on 1% thx :D
When you first buy it, the phone is being set up as new. So the percent reporter is more calibrated. As time goes on, it loses calibration. But there are other factors in jumping around too, including battery health.

Bryan Ang

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018
When you first buy it, the phone is being set up as new. So the percent reporter is more calibrated. As time goes on, it loses calibration. But there are other factors in jumping around too, including battery health.
[doublepost=1519624548][/doublepost]So what can I do to calibrate the battery ? Will changing a new battery help calibrating the battery percentage ?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
[doublepost=1519624548][/doublepost]
So what can I do to calibrate the battery ? Will changing a new battery help calibrating the battery percentage ?
In order to calibrate you do the following.

Charge device to 100%. Use it from 100% - 0% in one go. Once the phone shuts off from low battery, leave it off for one hour. Plug it in and charge up to 100% in one go, and leave it at 100% for one hour. After that, the meter is calibrated.

Bryan Ang

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018
In order to calibrate you do the following.

Charge device to 100%. Use it from 100% - 0% in one go. Once the phone shuts off from low battery, leave it off for one hour. Plug it in and charge up to 100% in one go, and leave it at 100% for one hour. After that, the meter is calibrated.
Thank you , after all the steps ,should i leave the phone at 100% for 1 hour while its charging or not charging and how many times do i need to do the calibration?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thank you , after all the steps ,should i leave the phone at 100% for 1 hour while its charging or not charging and how many times do i need to do the calibration?
While charging.

Only do it once. Its not good for the battery to do it multiple times.

Bryan Ang

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018
While charging.

Only do it once. Its not good for the battery to do it multiple times.
But when the iphone shuts down (no battery) , then i plug it in and charge , it will automatically turns on . Should i shut it down after the phone turns on or just leave the phone with notification popping out till it charge to 100%

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
But when the iphone shuts down (no battery) , then i plug it in and charge , it will automatically turns on . Should i shut it down after the phone turns on or just leave the phone with notification popping out till it charge to 100%

No. Reread my instructions.

Let the phone die. Leave off for one hour. Plug in. Charge to 100% and leave connected to power for 1 hour after it reaches 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.