Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sb22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
My daughters iPhone battery is draining away in front of my eyes nowadays . She’s barely getting a day of school and most of the time it’s on airplane mode. She’s doesn’t use it a lot - it’s more for emergencies (she has additional needs)

We’re waiting for the new SE to come out so I can upgrade and give her the 2020 SE. Until then, is it worth getting the iPhone 7 battery replaced? Or is it so old it will drain no matter what?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Why not just get a small inexpensive battery bank to top it off mid day? That way you can keep the battery bank in the future (everyone should have one) and not put a dime into the 7.

The iPhone 7 will run fine on iOS 14 or 15 with a new internal battery too (if you want to throw away $69).

Reactions: Boyyai

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
If your daughter does rarely use it, then I think it is worth replacing the battery for $50, and turning off background app refresh.

My 7 has 87% maximum capacity left and I get anywhere between 1-3 hours of screen on time before it dies. Good enough for emergencies and enough until the new SE comes out.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If the iPhone is meeting her needs, I'd gladly spend that $49.

An old battery isn't just about low capacity, it can shut off unexpectedly in cold conditions.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
The 7 is worth a max of $40 as a trade in according to Apple
The next SE is rumoured to come out in March so it isn't really worth spending money on a valueless phone for a couple of months if it's only for emergencies.
A battery back up that someone mentioned is a good idea and if she rides a bike, some very good LED bike lights can be used to charge a phone these days so $25 spent on that would give you an excellent light and wouldn't be wasted.

Then trade it on when you get the new phone. You'll probably not get more than $30 in reality but it'll pay for the light.

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
My wife has an aging 8 and she uses a lipstick charger. She could plug it in while the phone is not in use in her backpack or purse. They are convenient, cheap and work really well See amazon link below

Last edited:

nintendoswitch

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2021
My dad’s old iPhone 6S battery was the same way. He got the battery replaced years ago and it worked perfectly, still does. So I don’t see why you shouldn’t replace the iPhone 7’s battery. But, you definitely should wait for the new SE, IMO

Reactions: Boyyai

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
My daughters iPhone battery is draining away in front of my eyes nowadays . She’s barely getting a day of school and most of the time it’s on airplane mode. She’s doesn’t use it a lot - it’s more for emergencies (she has additional needs)

We’re waiting for the new SE to come out so I can upgrade and give her the 2020 SE. Until then, is it worth getting the iPhone 7 battery replaced? Or is it so old it will drain no matter what?
Sent my old 6s in for its 2nd replacement battery in order to save it as an emergency spare. Replacement was problematic so Apple sent me a new (refurbished?) 6s. Win, win situation.

Last edited:

glaze

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2022
If all its components work fine, then 100% get the battery replaced. Even if the iPhone 7 Series doesn’t get iOS 16, Apple will continue to maintain iOS 15 for another two years.

Bloody great as a backup device.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The iPhone 7 is an old phone now however if your daughter doesn’t use it for much more than calls and minor browsing/videos, it is still very capable. I would replace the battery which would add another couple of years of life to the device.

Reactions: tenordrum
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.