Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello.

Since 2021 I have an iPhone 13 and I transferred all the files via iCloud, so I don't need to save anything from my old iPhone 7; That said I wanted to format the phone before safely disposing of it, however I don't seem to be able to boot or reach any recovery mode (I am aware the iPhone 7 generation has a special procedure).

As you can see from the video it just reaches the apple logo and then goes blank on loop; leaving the phone to charge for a while doesn't seem to do anything.
If I try to turn on the phone as I would with any iPhone (by long pressing the lock button) it does the same, but without looping.

As stated before, I don't need to save anything from the phone, but before I think of a way to physically destroy it, I wanted to know if you had any suggestions.
That also applies to the method of destruction ;)

Thank you ❤️

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Shut it down, connect it to a Mac or PC and open iTunes (or whatever app Apple may be using now for syncing, backups and transfers).

Put the iPhone in DFU (Direct Firmware Upgrade) mode. The action of doing that will turn the phone on. You will know you are successfully in DFU mode when the screen is blank and iTunes is telling you that it detects a device (it'll say 'in recovery mode', but it's actually DFU).

Click Upgrade and Restore. Let iTunes do it's thing and setup as new.

Note, it's going to upgrade and erase the phone. Shouldn't be a problem as you've said you've already gotten your data off it.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Shut it down, connect it to a Mac or PC and open iTunes (or whatever app Apple may be using now for syncing, backups and transfers).

Put the iPhone in DFU (Direct Firmware Upgrade) mode. The action of doing that will turn the phone on. You will know you are successfully in DFU mode when the screen is blank and iTunes is telling you that it detects a device (it'll say 'in recovery mode', but it's actually DFU).

Click Upgrade and Restore. Let iTunes do it's thing and setup as new.

Note, it's going to upgrade and erase the phone. Shouldn't be a problem as you've said you've already gotten your data off it.
Screenshot 2022-10-25 at 02.29.51.png

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
This error is usually related to iTunes being out of date / not having the iPhone in its registry.

What OS and what iTunes version are you running?

Not using iTunes as I'm on Monterey 12.6.1 on a Mac Studio.
I used the finder; the operation starts well, but then seem to fail at a specific moment.

Upon reading a bit, this error seems to signify an hardware malfunction, therefore I'm starting to believe my iPhone 7 is simply broken.

Reactions: eyoungren

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
Not using iTunes as I'm on Monterey 12.6.1 on a Mac Studio.
I used the finder; the operation starts well, but then seem to fail at a specific moment.

Upon reading a bit, this error seems to signify an hardware malfunction, therefore I'm starting to believe my iPhone 7 is simply broken.

If it wasn't broken before you put it away, it didnt just break sitting in a box/drawer/etc.

I wouldn't be surprised that because you are using Finder, it probably can't communicate with the phone. Of course I expect better out of Apple, but I recently had to restore a iPhone 8 and it wouldn't work on any computer with Big Sur or newer. I ended up installing iTunes on my Surface Laptop and trying that and it worked perfectly. The iPhone 8 was a friends phone that sat for 4+ years and he wanted to restore it and give it to his mom as a upgrade.

I would say try a different computer before you write it off

Reactions: eyoungren

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
If it wasn't broken before you put it away, it didnt just break sitting in a box/drawer/etc.

I wouldn't be surprised that because you are using Finder, it probably can't communicate with the phone. Of course I expect better out of Apple, but I recently had to restore a iPhone 8 and it wouldn't work on any computer with Big Sur or newer. I ended up installing iTunes on my Surface Laptop and trying that and it worked perfectly. The iPhone 8 was a friends phone that sat for 4+ years and he wanted to restore it and give it to his mom as a upgrade.

I would say try a different computer before you write it off
I have a windows 11 laptop; I'll try using that.
Thanks for the tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.