Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
iPhone-7-Concept-by-VAG.jpg

New Features of iPhone 7 that I dream of:

• New Retina Screen with “Always ON” Info
• New Home Button with integrated Screen
• New 8MP Facetime HD 3D Cameras
• New 16MP 3D Main Cameras
4K 3D video capable with “Always Focused
4GB DDR5
• New Apple A10 CPU
4X faster graphics
3 Different sizes (4”, 5” and 6“ Screens)
• Familiar Design – Thinner Body 6,1mm
• Faster – up to 3X faster than iPhone 6s
• Revolutionary New iOS X
• Brand new Battery with 3X up-time and
Move to Charge” ability to charge on the go

Capacities available: 64, 128 and 256GB

Today I took some time off to design a new iPhone that I would like to upgrade to. My contribution to the community of speculations and “wishes”. I hope Apple won’t mind to drop some ideas as an outsider to a device we all use day after day
simple-smile.png

Apple Designs and Logo/Graphics belong to them. Ideas of the concept that doesn’t exist yet, belong to me, VAG.

I hope you like it, if you do, please share!
Thanks!

Reactions: trifid

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Eh. Looks identical to the 5S with some gimmicks added on. I can't get behind the "lipped" screen or the integrated screen in the home button, although having "always on info" would be pretty nice (assuming it didn't murder battery life). Not sure how the multiple cameras would turn out though.

Also, 3 times faster than the 6S? Holy hell!

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
I know it's identical to iPhone 5s, to me it's the best iPhone design yet. I hope they will come back to it somehow.
The concept is minimal with no much work on it, only Photoshop, without any 3D modeling.
The extra 2 screens (one on top that is always on) and the other on Home Button, use minimal battery. Reason is, size and back-light density.

On the top screen, only white text is displayed with some icons. No complex graphics to draw GPU power, only top screen color and text/icons.

The bottom screen uses the color that exists on the bottom of the screen image/photo/graphic and lights up when you have a notification like email, SMS, call etc. Shows the number and the type along side with a fade in/out of the color background. Also since it's touch, you could scroll when you have more than 1 type of notifications :)

I hope this explains the concept somehow...

Reactions: bbrks

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I know it's identical to iPhone 5s, to me it's the best iPhone design yet. I hope they will come back to it somehow.
The concept is minimal with no much work on it, only Photoshop, without any 3D modeling.
The extra 2 screens (one on top that is always on) and the other on Home Button, use minimal battery. Reason is, size and back-light density.

On the top screen, only white text is displayed with some icons. No complex graphics to draw GPU power, only top screen color and text/icons.

The bottom screen uses the color that exists on the bottom of the screen image/photo/graphic and lights up when you have a notification like email, SMS, call etc. Shows the number and the type along side with a fade in/out of the color background. Also since it's touch, you could scroll when you have more than 1 type of notifications :)

I hope this explains the concept somehow...

I like the concept, but Apple has pushed the idea of a 'seamless design' and curved edges so much that it would be hard for them to go back to a squarer design like the 5s.

Reactions: Lukkee24

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Makes no sense at all IMO but the display is unique (if not impractical).

I.e. Why put a display into the home button when the display itself could be the home button?

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Apple is not going back to square edge when they marketing how smooth 6/6s/6+/6s+ edges are.

Personally square edge just do not feel comfortable, and most non-techie iPhone owner will definitely think Apple going backward if 7 is like 5 with less comfortable phone.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
I liked it until I saw the weird extra bit of screen at the top.

I'm not sure why you bother spending time posting ideas here. This site is by far the most cynical unappreciative place on the net.

Keep in mind most people on here talked smack about completely revolutionary Apple tech like the iPod and original iPhone until they were released into the real world and all the hipsters told them it was ok to like it.

This phone concept... if released by Apple... with some slight body changes to differentiate it from the 5S... would be everyone's favorite thing once it was an official product with glowing reviews from the (paid off with lots of ad money) tech media.

No one here will admit that though.

Reactions: VAGDesign

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Had to double check the date of this topic when I saw the iPhone 5 as a concept for 2016...

I get that some people think the iPhone 5 had an awesome design, just like people think the iPhone 4 had the best design. Great, but is this really the future? I don't think standing still is the future. Also, I believe 5.5" screens are great and that round edges are far more convenient with those.

Even when I read the rumors about the iPhone 7 being similar in design to the iPhone 6, I was disappointed. Phones are starting to look similar again, time for a change. New materials, new proportions, new everything.

Apple already has lots of concepts for future iPhones, none of them include an iPhone 5 anymore.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm not sure why you bother spending time posting ideas here. This site is by far the most cynical unappreciative place on the net.

Keep in mind most people on here talked smack about completely revolutionary Apple tech like the iPod and original iPhone until they were released into the real world and all the hipsters told them it was ok to like it.

This phone concept... if released by Apple... with some slight body changes to differentiate it from the 5S... would be everyone's favorite thing once it was an official product with glowing reviews from the (paid off with lots of ad money) tech media.

Not sure why you are quoting me here..?

I think the screen at the top looks grotesque, I'm entitled to my own opinion. Even if Apple did release the design above I would still think it looks grotesque.

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
Thanks all for the feedback positive or negative, doesn't matter.
All I wanted to show is MY way of thinking of what I would like to see on a new upcoming iPhone.
Personally I think that a same design to 3 different sizes (4", 5" and 6") with no difference to hardware except
the screen, would be more logical. Having the option to customers for different size (for usability or taste) is
something honest and the price difference will be based on size only, no capacity or extras from model to model.

Those additions I made are gimmicks for future proof use and abilities. Nothing I would use personally, but would be great to have like: 4K 3D movie capture, 3D Video Facetime that receiver with same model can see the other person like in "holograph" inside his iPhone screen, Facetime camera with flash in front for "dark video calls" etc.

The "grotesque" screen I think is something I would love to see on every iPhone (even the old ones with changes to iOS can be done). Imagine the battery drain of those small numbers and icons notifying you all the time, is probably less than having the phone as is today and you must press a button to see the time, signal, Wifi or 3G/4G/LTE status.

The Home button screen is just an idea that came in mind for those who don't have/want an Apple Watch or any other smart watch at hand and want with just the iPhone at sight to be able to see what "notification" just came to them.

I don't care really if the new iPhone 7 will be based to iPhone 6/6s body shape, I just don't like it. Don't forget that iPhone 6 had bending problem, iPhone 6s had to use new more expensive material to fix this issue. iPhone 5/5s never had this bending issue, the reason is the shape itself, not the materials used.

So, to save some cost of users and Apple it self, could be a new way to "re-invent the phone" by using known techniques and shapes for a brand new iPhone that with the right Keynote presentation will be a "must have".

Thanks again for all the feedback, makes me think that I saved some time by not making a 3D model myself to show you what I had in mind :)

Cheers!

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'd love if iPhones had a notification light outside of the option to use the flash, but not on the home button. More like one seen on android devices. I think this is one thing that will never happen though.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Plenty of opinions all over the spectrum around these parts.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
I don't care really if the new iPhone 7 will be based to iPhone 6/6s body shape, I just don't like it. Don't forget that iPhone 6 had bending problem, iPhone 6s had to use new more expensive material to fix this issue. iPhone 5/5s never had this bending issue, the reason is the shape itself, not the materials used.

So, to save some cost of users and Apple it self, could be a new way to "re-invent the phone" by using known techniques and shapes for a brand new iPhone that with the right Keynote presentation will be a "must have"

Me thinks you don't have much knowledge of materials and actual engineering.

First of all, the 5S could bend as well. Just because you didn't see media hyperbole, doesn't mean users never bent a 5S. It just wasn't a "scandal." Aluminum bends. Different alloys have different properties. 5052 aluminum is a popular choice in sheet metal fabrication due to its ease in bending/forming. 6000 series aluminum is tougher to bend, but better for machining.

The reason the 6 Plus took SLIGHTLY less force to bend than a 5S, was the actual mechanical engineering of the machined enclosure. There was not enough material at the weak points, and the added support would only hold up to X lbs of force (as is the case with any structural support system). The shape is not the primary issue. The iPhone 6 was not the first rounded shape Apple has ever designed. They had plenty of rounded products before the 6. Did you hear about "bend gate" with those products? Did Apple decide to use 7000 series aluminum in the Apple Watch Sport due to fears of bending a tiny watch? No. And we don't know the full extent of Apples decision with the 6s materials. Higher strength to bending is a nice bonus, but I'm sure not the only factor

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
When did round edges become the be all end all design? Of course Apple is gonna say round edges is the best thing ever when that's what they are currently offering. I can definitely see hard edges coming back and won't at all see it as going backwards.

OT, sorry op but that concept looks like when Homer Simpson's designed a car.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
They'd be much better off integrating the fingerprint sensor into the main display, than adding a second almost useless display into the home button.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
I like the concept, but Apple has pushed the idea of a 'seamless design' and curved edges so much that it would be hard for them to go back to a squarer design like the 5s.

Why Apple continues to fuss over "new" "advanced" technologies to try and overcome slowing sales baffles me. Most of you know that the adults (Wall Street) continues to hammer on Apple for not increasing phones sales by 40%+ year after year given that most of the company's main revenue still comes from the iPhone. Apple is a fashion company now. When the bigger 6 and 6 Plus came out, sales skyrocketed. Pent up demand for a bigger screen? yes to a degree. I maintain that given how the iPhone is a vastly overpriced phone, it's not new must have features that drive their sales. it's the "look at me" crowd. Big iPhone sales jumps occur not from hidden tech advances but from new form factors. When a new iPhone comes out that, from even a distance people notice it is different from the previous model the person with this new phone feels a certain status for having just emptied their wallets for the latest and greatest. Apple customers feel no joy when the new phone looks like the old phone. Think back to the first year of 6 / 6 Plus on the market. Almost no one had a case on those phones even though they were one slip away from destruction! Covering the phone meant covering the "I got the latest" feeling. No joy. The 7 just needs a case refresh, no antenna lines, maybe a new color or, however worthless maybe not one but TWO lens on the back!! Throw in the lack of a hole for "old" headphone connections, the $400.00 optional wireless earbuds with the fat "b" on them - you'll get your 40% sales increase! Best part, you can rename the processor the A10, keep the 16GB memory and keep getting the $749 plus the $400.00 beat buds! 2017 will be a banner year for Apple again! Then for the "S" off-year add a HUGE "b" covering the back of the phone and call it "integrated beats sound technology" maybe a third center lens and keep the momentum going year after year! what do you think guys?

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Rather than having the odd shaped screen you'd be better off figuring out a way of having an always on transparent E-ink layer (colour or b/w) with a low refresh rate (to save battery life) and making it fully transparent when the actual display is activated.

The main issues are obviously getting it to work and dealing with the additional darkness/dullness caused by the e-ink layer.

Edit - Kinda like this but in one screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.