Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulhaynes1979

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2020
Hello All

My son has come to me this morning saying his iphone 7 no longer turns on. :(. The phone just wouldn't turn on at all.

I've done the usual soft/hard reset with the button combinations and that fails to restart or recover the device, i have also tried the DFU mode suggested and that results in iTunes starting the restore, the phone flashes the Apple logo for a few seconds then turns black again, and presents the attached error 4014.

1586554773126.png

I am familiar with working with fixing phone/computer hardware but i don't know what the cause of this is, and havent yet found a helpful suggestion on how to fix it. i suspect some kind of hardware issue at this point.

We are not worried about saving any of the data on the phone, but would like to know if there is anything i can do to fix it myself since country under lockdown at the moment and probably will for a good while yet.

Thanks

Paul

Update: More reading around and found some info about hardware issue with NAND chip. Doesn't help much as i don't have the equipment to perform any chip work on a phone board.

Last edited:

kellywoods

Suspended
Mar 11, 2012
So I had this same issues. My iPhone X first got water damaged a month after I got it new, kept using it like that cos all that went bad was Face ID. Read Apple DOC and have tried to force restart, use another USB cable and use iTunes to restore. While nothing works so far.

So I guess that the mostly problem appearing after water damage is on Charging flex with vibration and upper flex with flood illuminator. Is there any way to keep them clean and dry? Also this help page suggests to temporarily turn off firewall and security software during the iPhone Restore in case they may prevent iTunes from working properly. Will give it a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.