Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
We have been using my old iPhone 7 as a "media server", watching television, YouTube videos etc. Yesterday I became aware that the whole front was warped and there is a large gap at the side of the phone. I have tried to press the front in place, with no luck. Is there an easy fix for such a damage?

IMG_1233.jpeg

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I doubt that is heat damage. Usually that kind of swelling is from a failing battery, and can only be fixed by replacing the battery.

This article from ifixit might be helpful:

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
I doubt that is heat damage. Usually that kind of swelling is from a failing battery, and can only be fixed by replacing the battery.

This article from ifixit might be helpful:

Thank you! A failing battery makes sense - unfortunately. I guess the only sensible thing to do is to dispose of the phone, it is too old to invest money into.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
I have one and it still runs relatively well as a backup phone. Could be a good project to carefully replace the battery with one from iFixit if you’re into that!

Reactions: bjolester

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Netflix now requires iOS 16 and later so you can just drop that at a recycling center since you no longer plan to fix it by replacing the battery...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you! A failing battery makes sense - unfortunately. I guess the only sensible thing to do is to dispose of the phone, it is too old to invest money into.
Swelling batteries are often the result of leaving a device on charger all the time - something which you probably did because you said this phone was a media server.

You may be able to save it. Let it sit off charger for about six months and see if the battery swelling reduces. I've had battery swelling experience with the iPhone 5 (replaced three times). The fourth one also developed swelling, but I let it sit and the swelling went down. I now take it off charger each morning.

Last edited:

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
Selling batteries are often the result of leaving a device on charger all the time - something which you probably did because you said this phone was a media server.

You may be able to save it. Let it sit off charger for about six months and see if the battery swelling reduces. I've had battery swelling experience with the iPhone 5 (replaced three times). The fourth one also developed swelling, but I let it sit and the swelling went down. I now take it off charger each morning.
Thank you! I believe I will follow your advice, and just let the phone rest completely for six months. We purchased an Apple TV (2022) yesterday, so we will never again use an iPhone as a media server.

Does the iPhone 7 with the swollen battery represent any kind of fire risk, when powered down and not in use?

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you! I believe I will follow your advice, and just let the phone rest completely for six months. We purchased an Apple TV (2022) yesterday, so we will never again use an iPhone as a media server.

Does the iPhone 7 with the swollen battery represent any kind of fire risk, when powered down and not in use?
No. The risk of fire comes from puncturing. I had this same concern the last time I had my iPhone 5 replaced (2017). Apparently, there is a sleeve around the battery that expands and contracts with the battery itself. The entire function of the sleeve is to protect the battery from punctures which would cause a fire.

When the battery is removed (to replace it) there is potential that the tools used will puncture the sleeve and that's where the risk comes in. Apple has a special facility just for devices with swollen batteries.

So as long as there's no puncturing of the sleeve/battery you'll be fine.

If it eases your mind though, you could set the phone on top of something that isn't inherently flammable and leave it be in an out of the way place.

I've had a second iPhone 5 sitting in the garage for a while now.

bjolester

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Trondheim, Norway
No. The risk of fire comes from puncturing. I had this same concern the last time I had my iPhone 5 replaced (2017). Apparently, there is a sleeve around the battery that expands and contracts with the battery itself. The entire function of the sleeve is to protect the battery from punctures which would cause a fire.

When the battery is removed (to replace it) there is potential that the tools used will puncture the sleeve and that's where the risk comes in. Apple has a special facility just for devices with swollen batteries.

So as long as there's no puncturing of the sleeve/battery you'll be fine.

If it eases your mind though, you could set the phone on top of something that isn't inherently flammable and leave it be in an out of the way place.

I've had a second iPhone 5 sitting in the garage for a while now.

Thank you for your help! Most appreciated.

Reactions: eyoungren

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
We have been using my old iPhone 7 as a "media server", watching television, YouTube videos etc. Yesterday I became aware that the whole front was warped and there is a large gap at the side of the phone. I have tried to press the front in place, with no luck. Is there an easy fix for such a damage?
Honestly, I would not be surprised if it was heat damage. Vintage hardware + charging + updated OS = Portable heater...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.