Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
hi there
  1. Can anybody provide a best guess to the last version of IOS that'll be available on this phone
  2. Do most major apps like facebook, whatsapp, google chrome stop support on older IOS versions or do they still support like an IOS 10 device for example with their apps. How is the overall performance for a basic user?
Background - just trying to evaluate a $70 cracked screen replacement on my iphone 7 (small) vs buying a iphone 12 mini/iphone SE. My iphone 7 has 256gb which I like and I'm a basic user

Thanks

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iPhone 7 is the worst iPhone apple ever made. Loop Disease is an inevitability.
The phone itself is plenty fast and will likely run the next few OS updates just fine until 2023-24 or so, but it's a flawed phone. I'd get rid of it while it still works (and some other poor sucker buys it).

Reactions: tt061282

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
iOS 15 will support iPhone 6s, so I would guess iPhone 7 will be supported for 1 to 2 more years (i.e. possibly through iOS 16). But this is just a guess.
I have an iPad mini that Apple stopped supporting (other than security updates) a few years ago at iOS 12. (It is on iOS 12.5.4). I haven't come across an app where I have lost functionality as a result. But I only use it for common tasks. It feels less snappy than my newer iOS devices, but is perfectly fine for how I use it.
I had an even older iPad (1st or 2nd gen), but found that it started to crash frequently on many apps, so got rid of it. So at some point a device can be so obsolete that it just does not work reasonably any more, especially if security updates are no longer provided.

Last edited:
Reactions: subjonas

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
The phone itself is plenty fast and will likely run the next few OS updates just fine until 2023-24 or so, but it's a flawed phone. I'd get rid of it while it still works (and some other poor sucker buys it).
Good point! OP would have to fix the cracked screen, though, to be able to sell it.

My wife still has iPhone 6s which she refuses to part with - I guess it is lucky that 6s is one of the "good" iPhones (I think?)

Last edited:

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
My situation has been this has been the most stable phone I've ever used but I'm a very basic user. Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll save myself a few hours of trouble setting up, putting new passwords, etc and simply get a $70 screen replacement for now

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019

Using my i7 since day 1 on my country.
Still running well until now.
And ready for iOS 15.

Reactions: Lwii2boo

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
My mother loves her iPhone 7. Still going strong on ios 14.7. Will probably get ios 16 at least.

When you do the screen do the battery at the same time. It's pretty simple to do on your own since there are lots of instructional videos on Youtube.

eric89074

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I think iOS 17 will be the last update A10 devices (not including A10x) get. Most major apps support iOS versions that are a few years old too.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone 11 would like a word

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Disagree. Had my 7 for 3.5 years before upgrading to a 12 mini. it's still going strong for my mother in law. I also had a work 7 that worked flawlessly until the day they clawed it out of my hands and gave me my godawful brick of an 11. :(

All of that said... I would not repair a 7 in 2021, given all the ways to get a 2020 SE for so little.

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
I only replaced my iPhone 7 this year, but only because I dropped it. I was hoping to hold out for this September. It was a good device, which I had from launch day (with replacement battery), but I don't think I would have wanted to run it much longer.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
hi there
  1. Can anybody provide a best guess to the last version of IOS that'll be available on this phone
  2. Do most major apps like facebook, whatsapp, google chrome stop support on older IOS versions or do they still support like an IOS 10 device for example with their apps. How is the overall performance for a basic user?
Background - just trying to evaluate a $70 cracked screen replacement on my iphone 7 (small) vs buying a iphone 12 mini/iphone SE. My iphone 7 has 256gb which I like and I'm a basic user

Thanks
iPhone 7 supports iOS 14 but it doesn't run very well as it's clearly not optimised for older devices as I'm sure your battery will testify to. I have an iPhone 7 in use still for a few tasks and it runs so hot when stressed.

Many popular apps only support iOS 13 and above, so the days are gone where mainstream apps will continue to to be updated for years on old devices.

Get a new phone.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
My favorite phone of all time was my jet black iPhone 7 Plus, I had so much trouble getting it when they came out and paid so much for it that I never wanted to sell it. So for years now I’ve used it as a backup phone around the home, has been one of the most durable and reliable phones I’ve ever had. Now this year I stopped using it and it sat for months, finally decided I would give it away to someone and so I charged it up and was going to save all my photos that were on it and after booting up it was acting strange and would eventually completely freeze up. I tried everything, nothing worked, even updated to the iOS 15 beta thinking maybe that might do the trick and nothing, once you unlock it and open an app or swipe anyway it just freezes. I figure it has to be hardware but not sure how since it just sat undisturbed for months.

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
iPhone 7 supports iOS 14 but it doesn't run very well as it's clearly not optimised for older devices as I'm sure your battery will testify to. I have an iPhone 7 in use still for a few tasks and it runs so hot when stressed.

Many popular apps only support iOS 13 and above, so the days are gone where mainstream apps will continue to to be updated for years on old devices.

Get a new phone.

Just replace your battery and it works like new.

RayB4

macrumors member
Those who tell you to dump it and get the latest are not the ones who will have to pay for it.
I would keep the 7 until either (a) It stops working, (b) It’s no longer supported or (c) YOU want to replace it at the considerable cost that a new iPhone will set you back.
If it works there’s no need to fix it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Those who tell you to dump it and get the latest are not the ones who will have to pay for it.
I would keep the 7 until either (a) It stops working, (b) It’s no longer supported or (c) YOU want to replace it at the considerable cost that a new iPhone will set you back.
If it works there’s no need to fix it.

The 7 has a cracked screen that will cost $70 to repair. To me, that qualifies as "stops working" (properly). Probably some battery wear as well. I know battery on my 7 was pretty much shot by year 3/4.

I purchased an iPhone SE2 128GB for $250 from Walmart on release (AT&T installment upgrade, straight up $200 cash discount, no monthly credits, no early payment penalty). The promotion seems to be ongoing still except they've increased the discount to $250. The 128GB seems to be out of stock at the moment but they have the 64GB for $150 and and 256GB for $300.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd rather pay extra for something with fresh battery, warranty and will be supported much longer than the iPhone 7.

Reactions: QCassidy352

RayB4

macrumors member
The 7 has a cracked screen that will cost $70 to repair. To me, that qualifies as "stops working" (properly). Probably some battery wear as well. I know battery on my 7 was pretty much shot by year 3/4.

I purchased an iPhone SE2 128GB for $250 from Walmart on release (AT&T installment upgrade, straight up $200 cash discount, no monthly credits, no early payment penalty). The promotion seems to be ongoing still except they've increased the discount to $250. The 128GB seems to be out of stock at the moment but they have the 64GB for $150 and and 256GB for $300.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd rather pay extra for something with fresh battery, warranty and will be supported much longer than the iPhone 7.
Yes OK fair enough. I’ve got an SE2 and so has my wife, but we wouldn’t have changed if the phones we were using did not require updating. There are a lot of calls on our disposable income and constantly updating our phones comes way down the list.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
hi there

Thanks
I used to upgrade every two years until I purchased my X. I've decided to use the phone until it doesn't fill my needs and almost four years later it still serves the purpose very well. I plan on having Apple replace the battery so it should last at least a couple more years before it needs to be replaced. I'd say if your 7 checks all the boxes and you aren't sold on a new device you should have the screen replaced (not sure what condition your battery is in) and use it until it dies.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
The latest iPhones have much better cameras (and associated software) than iPhones of 5 years ago. A big consideration for many people. Photos and videos from my iPhone 11 pro are massively better than from my wife's 6s, especially in difficult conditions like low light and high dynamic range, the video stabilization is unbelievably good, and the computational photography software is so sophisticated that it makes it incredibly easy to take good photos with very little photographic knowledge or skills.
I am highly impressed with the recent iPhone cameras, and I have "pro" full-frame DSLR cameras.
Something to think about.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectronGuru

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
The glass backs add so much weight and crackability. I still miss my 7. If the camera is enough and battery holds a charge I’d keep going. But replacement screens can be rubbish, compare vs swappa replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.