Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Been reading that the new iPHone 7 leather cases are extremely slipper, more so than previous years? Any experience with them?

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
It's really slippery when your hands are cold and dry. As soon as your hands are a little warmer, the case is decently grippy. It is hard to beat the look of the case though.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
It's really slippery when your hands are cold and dry. As soon as your hands are a little warmer, the case is decently grippy. It is hard to beat the look of the case though.

I found the same thing. I'm wondering if it gets tackier as the oils from your hands wear the leather.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I used the leather case before on my 6S and I for some reason prefer the silicone a lot more.. I don't know what it is, but I'm one for grip and making sure it doesn't slip out of my hands.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
I would say so.
I had the Midnight Blue and returned it for the Storm Gray.
Not only are they a little slippery (I find myself thinking to grip tighter), the scratch like crazy.
I have the midnight blue and black from the 6 Plus and 6S Plus and they show none of the wear that the Storm Gray did after a week.

On the other hand, they do look great.

Reactions: janeauburn

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I would say so.
Not only are they a little slippery (I find myself thinking to grip tighter), the scratch like crazy.
I have the midnight blue and black from the 6 Plus and 6S Plus and they show none of the wear that the Storm Gray did after a week.

Curious to see how the Storm Gray looks over time. I love the color combo when the case is new.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I tried using a black leather case back when I got my 6+ at launch. It looked great but not only was it slippery it also tended to bubble up wherever it came in contact with moisture. I don't know if Apple has improved its leather since then but I found them to be a little delicate for the premium price. After that experience I went to the silicone for my 6+, 6S+ and now my 7+. The silicone may not look as "high end" as the leather but its looks don't degrade, even after a year of use, and it doesn't mind moisture one bit.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Very slippery and the blue one I had also was smelly. Not really a leather smell, but almost a latex smell. As such, I returned it. It also scratched much easier than the Apple saddle brown leather case I had with my 6S.

Disappointing considering it looks great. Not worth $50 to have a smelly, slippery case though.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I would say so.

Interesting. I just ordered the storm gray. What color phone do you have that on?
[doublepost=1477154779][/doublepost]I've had leather cases for 6, 6s, and now 7. With each iPhone iteration, the quality of the leather cases has GONE DOWN, but the prices have not. That's not progress.

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
I just bought a blue leather case for my 7 Plus today and was very surprised at how slippery it is. I've had a leather case on my iPhone 6 for 1.5 years and I don't remember it ever being that slippery.

Has anyone had the 7 version of the case for a while, does it stay slippery?

Is the silicone case thicker than the leather case? I love the fact that the leather case is quite thin, but not so thin that the edges almost cut your fingers (like the Spigen Thin Fit case I had before)

jshtroutman

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
I just bought a blue leather case for my 7 Plus today and was very surprised at how slippery it is. I've had a leather case on my iPhone 6 for 1.5 years and I don't remember it ever being that slippery.

Has anyone had the 7 version of the case for a while, does it stay slippery?

Is the silicone case thicker than the leather case? I love the fact that the leather case is quite thin, but not so thin that the edges almost cut your fingers (like the Spigen Thin Fit case I had before)
I've had my case since launch day and can't tell if it's any more grippy than day one. I will say I also have the silicon case too and it is the same thickness. It wasn't as slick but so smooth it felt almost greasy to me. I prefer the leather feel.

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
I've had my case since launch day and can't tell if it's any more grippy than day one. I will say I also have the silicon case too and it is the same thickness. It wasn't as slick but so smooth it felt almost greasy to me. I prefer the leather feel.
That greasy feeling is why I am always choosing leather for cases instead of silicon

Thanks for the feedback !

sargein

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
Same experience here. Black on iPhone 6 was excellent, while 7 black leather case is quite slippery. The buttons are much better though. Leaning towards returning them within the next week.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
There's actually a bit of variation in slipperiness from case to case. That's unfortunate. Overall, though, they're too slippery.

Reactions: Number-Six

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
Same experience here. Black on iPhone 6 was excellent, while 7 black leather case is quite slippery. The buttons are much better though. Leaning towards returning them within the next week.

The buttons on the leather case is one reason i am keeping it, I really like them

I don't know how the buttons on the silicon case for iPhone 7 are, but if it's anything like the iPad mini 4 case then it's definately worth getting the leather one instead.

Plus I think the leather case is slightly less slippery after a weeks' use. Hopefully it gets even better with more time passed

AJPhan

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
The leather cases for the iPhone 7 are crap compared to leather cases for the SE. I love how grippy the leather case for my SE was that was why I decided to go for the leather case for my 7 as well. Big mistake, it way too slippery. I had to return it after 2 days when my $8 clear case arrived.

Phat^Trance

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Indeed, the new leather cases for the 7 plus is waaaay more slippery than the ones for the iPhone 6 plus

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
Storm grey owners: how are your cases holding up as time goes on? Pics?

jlczl

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I cured my leather case with coconut oil several days in a row and the result is an amazing in hand feel and it looks great in midnight blue almost black. Love the look, love the feel, love the case.

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
I cured my leather case with coconut oil several days in a row and the result is an amazing in hand feel and it looks great in midnight blue almost black. Love the look, love the feel, love the case.
Can you post a pic?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.