Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I have the phone that is described on the title. I have it on AT&T but I will pay it off to unlock it. With that said, I owe $434. I don’t know if I should trade it in or just get the the iPhone X without trading it in. Only question I have is, do you guys think I could get more than $434 if I sell it myself? The iPhone is in pristine condition. I’m just not sure if I can make a profit or not. May I know some of your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
You should easily be able to profit. Pay it off and have AT&T unlock it and sell it on swappa.com. Recent average selling price for yours unlocked is $616.

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
13b06410425bacef738e50b0d9b33e60.jpg

It’s showing $519 on Swappa. I just selected what version I have. Not the storage. May you help me with this to get to $600+

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Yeah you should be able to make a profit easily based just on the unlocked price. Probably a 100 dollars more resale value for unlocked vs locked

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
I see. I didn’t select GSM Unlocked. That is what my iPhone should be at once I unlock it correct?

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
May I ask you some last questions. Have you ever sold through swappa? Do I set the price? Does the buyer pay the extra fee? How does the transaction happen? Can I get the money into my bank account? If you don’t mind answering. I know it’s not your job. Thanks for the help so far though.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Swappa has transaction fees. $20 to Swappa if the item is over $500, plus Paypal fees 2.9% plus $.30, plus shipping costs are in your price.

And really prices are sinking already. There already unlocked 128gb Pluses on there for sale for $550, and will only get more flooded with them in the next day or 2 driving prices down.

I sold on Swappa last year with no issues, but I've also heard horror stories since they use Paypal with chargeback issues etc. getting scammed.

I have the same numbers are you, owe $434 to ATT, and to make $65 (even if you get $550 after the above fees and shipping of about $50 total) Id rather not lose my a** to some scammer using Paypal personally and be out hundreds of dollars.

Ill be trading it in this year.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
Hmm I was wondering the same thing...mine is an iPhone 7 Plus 256gb Jet Black and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to pay it off and resell or just trade it in and avoid the hassle. I currently owe $444 on it.

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Swappa has transaction fees. $20 to Swappa if the item is over $500, plus Paypal fees 2.9% plus $.30, plus shipping costs are in your price.

And really prices are sinking already. There already unlocked 128gb Pluses on there for sale for $550, and will only get more flooded with them in the next day or 2 driving prices down.

I sold on Swappa last year with no issues, but I've also heard horror stories since they use Paypal with chargeback issues etc. getting scammed.

I have the same numbers are you, owe $434 to ATT, and to make $65 (even if you get $550 after the above fees and shipping of about $50 total) Id rather not lose my a** to some scammer using Paypal personally and be out hundreds of dollars.

Ill be trading it in this year.

You’re right. I’ll just trade it in as well. Not worth the risk. Thanks for your help man. I really appreciate it.

HaydenWI

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Charlotte
You’re right. I’ll just trade it in as well. Not worth the risk. Thanks for your help man. I really appreciate it.
Craigslist is a great option for selling- has almost no risk as long as you don't meet in a dark alley, and takes minimal effort. I've sold all of my prior iPhones on CL without issue (my 7 Plus most recently). I wouldn't leave $100+ on the table, but that's just me.

Hmm I was wondering the same thing...mine is an iPhone 7 Plus 256gb Jet Black and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to pay it off and resell or just trade it in and avoid the hassle. I currently owe $444 on it.
You have even more equity being yours is a 256gb. Pay off and sell.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Craigslist is a great option for selling- has almost no risk as long as you don't meet in a dark alley, and takes minimal effort. I've sold all of my prior iPhones on CL without issue (my 7 Plus most recently). I wouldn't leave $100+ on the table, but that's just me.

You have even more equity being yours is a 256gb. Pay off and sell.

Anything using paypal has a measurable risk. All you have to do is google and see the thousands of horror stories peope broke the phone after getting it and made a paypal claim it arrived broken etc.

Making $100 on a 128gb 7 Plus is near impossible if you didnt buy it up front full price. The prices already plummeted when the 8/8 Plus came out with people selling their 7/7 Plus and have already plummeted again in the last 24 hours.

This year's release cycle did not help resale of phones really.

With a 256gb it's a much tougher choice.

HaydenWI

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Charlotte
Anything using paypal has a measurable risk. All you have to do is google and see the thousands of horror stories peope broke the phone after getting it and made a paypal claim it arrived broken etc.
Did you read my post? That's why I suggested craigslist instead as to avoid PayPal or other payment platforms with a high potential for abuse...

Making $100 on a 128gb 7 Plus is near impossible if you didnt buy it up front full price. The prices already plummeted when the 8/8 Plus came out with people selling their 7/7 Plus and have already plummeted again in the last 24 hours.
OP said his/her payoff is $434. $550+ is very easily achievable for a pristine 128GB 7+.

Reactions: jhearty99

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Did you read my post? That's why I suggested craigslist instead as to avoid PayPal or other payment platforms with a high potential for abuse...

OP said his/her payoff is $434. $550+ is very easily achievable for a pristine 128GB 7+.

Oh yeah, meeting some stranger goes a LOT better. Haven't been watching much news lately I take it with the buyer snatching and running off with the item and holdups for items worth far less than iphones.

That's something people do when young and dumb or naive. Haven't done CL to sell an item in like 8 or 9 years as my personal safety is worth more than a few bucks extra profit. Money can be made easily in that small an amount working harder, your life cannot be put back together if something goes wrong and you get a crazy.

Last edited:

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
Oh yeah, meeting some stranger goes a LOT better. Haven't been watching much news lately I take it with the buyer snatching and running off with the item and holdups for items worth far less than iphones.

That's something people do when young and dumb or naive. Haven't done CL to sell an item in like 8 or 9 years as my personal safety is worth more than a few bucks extra profit. Money can be made easily in that small an amount working harder, your life cannot be put back together if something goes wrong and you get a crazy.

Lol. Selling on Craigslist is perfectly safe if you take the right precautions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.