Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hello all.
I got my iPhone 7 Plus on Friday. I love it, huge upgrade from my 6.
Anyway, I was curious to see the battery life of other iPhone 7 Plus users. I know it's only been two full days, but looking to get some input on this. Currently I'm at 23% and have 5hr43min of usage with 11hr7min of standby. I've been doing a lot of different stuff with it, including shooting a minute or so of 4K video to test it out, and using it for a short period of time (couple minutes or so) at full brightness while taking pictures outdoors.
On average, is this about normal for a Plus? This is my first Plus model so I'm just wondering. Coming from an iTunes backup of my 6 which did not do too well in battery, was always low by the end of day, would this affect battery at all? Or is it nothing to be concerned about? Appreciate any input, also post what your 7 Plus battery is like.

Reactions: Jetcat3

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
This was the only picture I took of my battery life, I believe this was on Saturday afternoon. Overall, I am quite happy with my 7 Plus battery life. Coming from the 6s Plus, I did not expect much better, but my battery health on my 6s Plus was apparently 82%, and my phone would only last for about 8 hours of usage time, 12-13 hours standby. So, with the 7 Plus I am seeing much better results. Also my phone was set up as new, I always set new iPhones up as new.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 3,137

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
I don't feel comfortable answering this question yet because I've been on my phone for the last three days since I got it.

However coming from the 4.7" size battery life was one of the reasons I bought the Plus. Apparently I will never be able to go an entire day with an iPhone.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
This was the only picture I took of my battery life, I believe this was on Saturday afternoon. Overall, I am quite happy with my 7 Plus battery life. Coming from the 6s Plus, I did not expect much better, but my battery health on my 6s Plus was apparently 82%, and my phone would only last for about 8 hours of usage time, 12-13 hours standby. So, with the 7 Plus I am seeing much better results. Also my phone was set up as new, I always set new iPhones up as new.
Seems like I got around 6.5-7 hours of usage when I reached 11%. I'm sure this can be better, will see tomorrow.

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Mine is absolutely terrible. Earlier today my usage was 2hrs 17min, 5hrs 2min standby and I was at 33%

I contacted Apple support (no Genius Bar appointments near me until late Tuesday) they had me do some stuff. After a full charge I got. 55min usage. 3hrs standby at 67% battery.

I'm definitely not happy. I just did an erase all content and settings and restored from a backup. If this doesn't work I'll make an appointment, or reset to factory settings and set up as new... who knows.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Currently at 51% battery with 4hrs51min of usage, 10hr37min standby. Much better then yesterday for sure!

Reactions: Jetcat3

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Don't worry, Its just Photos.app

Photos.app automatically categorizes your entire photo library in the background to populate the Memories, Faces and searchable Keywords. And since Apple has a hard stance on privacy then this is all done individually on every device so even if you already did this on your iPad, its doing it again. So just wait a few days before worrying about battery drain.

Last edited:

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Mine was worse today. 2hrs 20min usage, 9hrs 56min standby. 22% battery.

I have all background update stuff off. Apple ran 2 diagnostic tests, yesterday and today, and they both said my iPhone is fine... hahaha.

I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow. Hopefully they'll swap my phone out.

Reactions: Rina11

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Do you think restoring from backups affects battery life at all?

It never has for me before. Today Apple support had me set up as a new iPhone. That SUCKS! Haha they want me to watch it for 24 hours and see if anything changes. So I got my basic apps and that's all for now.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
It's a hard thing to quantify; one of the only ways you can really judge battery life is by comparing the real-world day-to-day usage of your new phone with your old one. Aside from screen brightness, another metric you'll want to keep an eye on when considering battery life is cell reception; that and the screen are two of the biggest and most common factors for depleting battery life.

Bottom line: don't worry about your battery life, and don't try to judge it during the "burn in" phase.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
It never has for me before. Today Apple support had me set up as a new iPhone. That SUCKS! Haha they want me to watch it for 24 hours and see if anything changes. So I got my basic apps and that's all for now.
It is a pain for sure. I like to avoid doing it and just restoring from an iTunes backup.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
So far it hasn't helped. I charged my battery to 33% and in only a few minutes it's down to 27%.
Yikes, I guess if an iPhone is having battery issues, it's more related to the actual iPhone and not the backup I'd expect.

scottlu13

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2007
Yeah I'm having issues with my 7 Plus.
It chews though battery while in standby, like 7-10% per hour.
Restored from backup when i got the phone, then it died overnight
Called apple - set up as new - same issue
Went into apple - set up as new - currently on 17% after 2hr12min usage / 5hr 13min standby

ninjaiphone

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
My current battery life at 22%. Charged at 100 on Saturday I believe around 2p and I got the phone on Friday at 1pm at 77%
[doublepost=1474331371][/doublepost]
My current battery life at 22%. Charged at 100 on Saturday I believe around 2p and I got the phone on Friday at 1pm at 77%

Attachments

• IMG_0042.PNG
    IMG_0042.PNG
    544 KB · Views: 1,066
Reactions: ZombiePete

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Yeah I'm having issues with my 7 Plus.
It chews though battery while in standby, like 7-10% per hour.
Restored from backup when i got the phone, then it died overnight
Called apple - set up as new - same issue
Went into apple - set up as new - currently on 17% after 2hr12min usage / 5hr 13min standby

Yup, sounds like mine.

I just did a restore iPhone from iTunes. Hopefully I just had a glitch in the firmware... haha. I doubt it will fix anything, but I'll try before my Genius Bar appointment tomorrow.

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
My 7+ battery life on the first day was surprisingly good. Even with typical restore/configure/install tasks and lots of heavy usage, after approx. 6.5 hours of usage time I still had about 24% battery left. On subsequent days when I was using it normally the battery has been lasting the entire day with lots of room to spare.

I usually like to re-install from scratch, if for no other reason than I've accumulated lots of apps I no longer use and it's a good way to make sure only the apps I really care about and use on a frequent basis get installed. Also, less chance of some app in the background being a bit too aggressive on its usage of location services or other resources.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Mine was worse today. 2hrs 20min usage, 9hrs 56min standby. 22% battery.

I have all background update stuff off. Apple ran 2 diagnostic tests, yesterday and today, and they both said my iPhone is fine... hahaha.

I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow. Hopefully they'll swap my phone out.
Reset network settings!

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Reset network settings!

I did that Saturday. I kept getting no service on my phone. So I reset the settings and took out my SIM card. That fixed the no service problems. Got the phone Friday. Didn't help. : (

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Just bought the Apple's black smart battery case for my iPhone 7. I love it! It automatically charges the iPhone at all times and when the case battery is dead I can slip the phone out and use it caseless with 100% charge. All day use with no problem. You can even look at the battery case battery level in the battery widget. Very slick.

The battery case is silicone and feels very nice in the hand. The hump doesn't bother me at all and actually helps making holding the phone easier. Compared to past battery cases I've used including mophies, Apples battery case is slimmer and not as heavy. Another very nice feature is that you can charge the case with the lightning cable. Very nice not to have to worry about another USB cable laying around.

Was just about to post the same thing. I'm using the black battery case with my matte black 7 and I love it. It's still pretty thin and the weight makes it feel premium. Like a luxurious brick lol.

Reactions: Rangers94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.