Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pod4477

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
IMG_0608.JPG
I have posted about various yellowing and noise from my iPhone. Today I noticed a reoccuring problem with my brightness. My iPhone 7 Plus is a tint yellow and has this brightness problem pictured bellow with similar settings to an iPhone 6 (auto-brightness is on for the 6, but it hasn't seemed to matter. The brightness seems to be stuck at a low setting even with auto brightness off and full brightness setting on the 7+. Look at the difference. The 6 isn't even at full brightness. I did a hard reset on the 7 Plus, but it's the exact same.

Last edited:

Pod4477

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
This seems to be fixed with 'Reset All Settings,' but after restoring a backup, the issue is still there. It's stuck somewhere on my backup, so I may have to 'Reset All Settings' and lose some heath data :(

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
View attachment 659551 I have posted about various yellowing and noise from my iPhone. Today I noticed a reoccuring problem with my brightness. My iPhone 7 Plus is a tint yellow and has this brightness problem pictured bellow with similar settings to an iPhone 6 (auto-brightness is on for the 6, but it hasn't seemed to matter. The brightness seems to be stuck at a low setting even with auto brightness off and full brightness setting on the 7+. Look at the difference. The 6 isn't even at full brightness. I did a hard reset on the 7 Plus, but it's the exact same.
I read somewhere that to achieve iphone 7 maximum brightness you need to choose auto brightness, then when you go outside the screen should adjust automatically. If it doesn't work then take it back.

visberry

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2016
New Zealand
View attachment 659551 I have posted about various yellowing and noise from my iPhone. Today I noticed a reoccuring problem with my brightness. My iPhone 7 Plus is a tint yellow and has this brightness problem pictured bellow with similar settings to an iPhone 6 (auto-brightness is on for the 6, but it hasn't seemed to matter. The brightness seems to be stuck at a low setting even with auto brightness off and full brightness setting on the 7+. Look at the difference. The 6 isn't even at full brightness. I did a hard reset on the 7 Plus, but it's the exact same.
Send it to an Apple Store and get them to replace it

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I read somewhere that to achieve iphone 7 maximum brightness you need to choose auto brightness, then when you go outside the screen should adjust automatically. If it doesn't work then take it back.

Did you read above? Maximum brightness in the sunlight is not the issue. Bad or corrupt data can sometimes be transferred via a backup file that causes the phone to act wonky. This is particularly true if your backup was from a jailbroken phone. If the issue starts after your backup is restored then it's clearly software related and not the phones hardware.

visberry

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2016
New Zealand
Did you read above? Maximum brightness in the sunlight is not the issue. Bad or corrupt data can sometimes be transferred via a backup file that causes the phone to act wonky. This is particularly true if your backup was from a jailbroken phone. If the issue starts after your backup is restored then it's clearly software related and not the phones hardware.
Angry...

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, even thought iPhone 7 is not as bright when not in auto, something else looks wrong with yours. That's not right.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
In general, the best way to setup a new phone is to 'setup as new' and then re-sync all your data. Particularly when old backups are from jailbroken and / or older devices.

Last edited:

Pod4477

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Yah it only happened from that old backup; it seems to be perfectly fine now that I 'Reset All Settings.' I'll return it though if the issue comes back. The phone is still a tad bit dimmer and yellower tint than most display models, so I'm having another tech look at it tomorrow.

Stormclouds

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Yah it only happened from that old backup; it seems to be perfectly fine now that I 'Reset All Settings.' I'll return it though if the issue comes back. The phone is still a tad bit dimmer and yellower tint than most display models, so I'm having another tech look at it tomorrow.
Since it's a settings issue, did you check to make sure the "reduce white point" setting was off under accessibility.

Pod4477

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Since it's a settings issue, did you check to make sure the "reduce white point" setting was off under accessibility.
I reset all the settings now, but that's definitely a good point. I'm pretty sure it was off though as I usually keep display accommodations off completely.

Pod4477

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Wow that looks insanely comparatively dim
Haha yah it was very weird. I'm guessing it's some sort of glitch and seems to be related to some sort of settings glitch. I'm just hoping that it doesn't come back. Hard reset didn't even fix it; only a 'Reset All Settings' fixed it.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
The new iPhone has a warmer display vs previous generations. This was done on purpose. Under low light it can look like it has a yellow tinge but this is normal. You can adjust this manually under accessibility if you prefer a cooler tone.

Also, my display, as well as many others have lost a little of this "warmness" with the curing of the adhesive between the digitizer and the LCD. This can take a week or so to fully cure. In other words, there are two things going on. The iPhone 7 is calibrated at a warmer color temp vs other phones and their is also a short period of time where the screen may appear more yellow due to the adhesive used. Something I have experienced on other iPhones during the initial rush to the market.

Pod4477

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
The new iPhone has a warmer display vs previous generations. This was done on purpose. Under low light it can look like it has a yellow tinge but this is normal. You can adjust this manually under accessibility if you prefer a cooler tone.

Also, my display, as well as many others have lost a little of this "warmness" with the curing of the adhesive between the digitizer and the LCD. This can take a week or so to fully cure. In other words, there are two things going on. The iPhone 7 is calibrated at a warmer color temp vs other phones and their is also a short period of time where the screen may appear more yellow due to the adhesive used. Something I have experienced on other iPhones during the initial rush to the market.
I hope these are the cases. I have noticed that my other ones were more yellow towards mainly the bottom too. Where was it said that that iPhones were going to be warmer this year? I've heard it said, but never knew where it came from.

Also, I think the brightness was due to the accessibility zoom setting I had on. Sorry to waste everyones time, and I'll close this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.