Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you encounter this issue?

• Total voters

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I've noticed when I placed my phone camera down or cover it with my hand so the screen is dark.. and I focus on the darkness, then remove my hand.. the camera stays black or really dark... can anyone try this and see if theirs does this too?
Specifically talking about the 7 plus dual camera.

Reactions: Rocko99

Droidbricker

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
Nope, I tried it a few times and a few different ways and definitely did not experience this.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Mine keeps the image dark, because it has adjusted for the low light. As soon as the camera focuses, it returns to normal. I don't think this is a glitch. The S7 Edge I have does a similar thing, until they both get a chance to re-adjust to the lighting.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Mine keeps the image dark, because it has adjusted for the low light. As soon as the camera focuses, it returns to normal. I don't think this is a glitch. The S7 Edge I have does a similar thing, until they both get a chance to re-adjust to the lighting.
No. The point is that it doesn't readjust after going black. It stays black even when the lense is no longer covered.

Here's a picture of a classroom:
IMG_7649.JPG

Here's the exact same picture have following the steps from the OP:

IMG_7648.JPG

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
No. The point is that it doesn't readjust after going black. It stays black even when the lense is no longer covered.

Then my devices are not doing this. I see a darker image after I move it, because the camera is adjusted to low light. Every camera phone on my desk at work is doing the same thing my 7+ is doing. (Priv, S7, S7E, 6S). I am on the 10.1 developer beta for what it's worth.

Edit: To the poster above me, I understand exactly what you're talking about. I am not saying it's not real, just that I cannot reproduce it. Are either of you on 10.1?

Last edited:

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
Mine stays dark for a few seconds, but readjusts when there's light again. It doesn't stay pitch black once I uncover it.

I have a T-Mo 7+ 128GB Black

Reactions: DaveOP

TimKirkwood

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2015
I am not able to produce this result. No matter how long I keep the lens covered, just as soon as I uncover it, it instantly goes back to a bright and proper image. 7+ on 10.1 beta

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.