Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
My parents needed to use a back up phone (iPhone 7 Plus). When setting up, my dad entered his passcode wrong and got locked out. When they attempted to restore the phone, they got it stuck in iPhone Recovery mode. I have tried plugging it into multiple computers to restore (says downloading for hours and never downloads), I have tried putting it in DFU mode (can't get it to go into DFU mode).

What can I do, short of throwing it into the garbage?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Try pressing the volume up, volume down, and then press and hold the power button until the phone reboots. If that doesn’t work, try pressing the volume down and power buttons at the same time and continue to do so until the phone reboots.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
Try pressing the volume up, volume down, and then press and hold the power button until the phone reboots. If that doesn’t work, try pressing the volume down and power buttons at the same time and continue to do so until the phone reboots.
After rebooting, it goes back to the restore screen.

DualShock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Apple's directions for recovery mode are here:

IIRC DFU mode will result in a blank screen, as opposed to recovery mode which shows a cable and computer on the screen. It's a bit tricky to get it into DFU because you need to release buttons at just the right moment.

When you connect it to a computer and it
says downloading for hours and never downloads
does it actually download anything? Or is it just downloading very slowly?

Not that it would make much difference but are you trying to connect the phone to a Mac or Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.