Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
So here is my issue/strange problem on my iPhone 7 Plus. I finally got a chance to record it - https://streamable.com/twkj

In many of my videos I noticed at the start, the audio is not in the videos for the first 2-5 seconds and then it comes back in. But then once it does come back in, it drops out again and continues to do this. In the video example I post here, I am turning on and off a song from spotify, you will notice as it plays and the speaker logo comes next to the song when it is playing, the phone won't pick up the audio for a few seconds or when it does pick it up, it is low volume.

Aside from that, the mic I feel is making a sort of WHITE NOISE to every video. When I pause the song you should be able to hear the white noise. My room is completely silent. I would not say it is the hiss-gate noise but just empty fuzzy noise in every video, even when there is silence like at the start of the video and when I pause it.

Where is the microphone on the iPhone 7 plus? Maybe mine was damaged? Anyone else having similar issues?

Last edited:

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
I'm having the exact same problem. I already exchanged my JB 7 Plus once and I'm going back to the Apple Store Monday. This time, I'm not leaving the store until I get a good one. I wasn't going to do this, but when I called the tech support they said keep returning it until I get a good one. I have a fear I will get ban on exchanging any iPhones.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
I'm having the exact same problem. I already exchanged my JB 7 Plus once and I'm going back to the Apple Store Monday. This time, I'm not leaving the store until I get a good one. I wasn't going to do this, but when I called the tech support they said keep returning it until I get a good one. I have a fear I will get ban on exchanging any iPhones.
No way, I was beginning to think I was a rare case. I got my phone from Verizon so not sure I can do it in Apple store. Or can I?

You talked to Apple tech support I presume?

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
No way, I was beginning to think I was a rare case. I got my phone from Verizon so not sure I can do it in Apple store. Or can I?

You talked to Apple tech support I presume?
I got mine from t-mobile and you sure can take it to an Apple Store, you just can't return it there. Also make a Genius Bar appt. also make sure you have a couple of videos to show them as examples.

Yeah, I talked to text support. They are very helpful.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Agreed this shouldn't happen. And I would handle your situation the same way. Test the product prior to leaving to ensure their are no issues. And it's not your fault you receiving defective products, which should not result in banning you on exchanging. Apple better not treat a customer in that manner.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
I got mine from t-mobile and you sure can take it to an Apple Store, you just can't return it there. Also make a Genius Bar appt. also make sure you have a couple of videos to show them as examples.

Yeah, I talked to text support. They are very helpful.
Well that is my point, why take it to Apple Genius bar if I can't return it there. I need a replacement...did you end up returning to T-Mobile?

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Agreed this shouldn't happen. And I would handle your situation the same way. Test the product prior to leaving to ensure their are no issues. And it's not your fault you receiving defective products, which should not result in banning you on exchanging. Apple better not treat a customer in that manner.
Ya problem is, No verizon stores have any at all and Apple wont replace it since I bought from Verizon no?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ya problem is, No verizon stores have any at all and Apple wont replace it since I bought from Verizon no?

Correct. If you purchased it through Verizon, they will have to replace it for you when they obtain more stock.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Correct. If you purchased it through Verizon, they will have to replace it for you when they obtain more stock.
I called apple store local to me they said they have ones in stock for replacements but it will just be as usual in the back not new box or anything. They said they are not "refurbished" or anything since they are so brand new but still it is just annoying.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I called apple store local to me they said they have ones in stock for replacements but it will just be as usual in the back not new box or anything. They said they are not "refurbished" or anything since they are so brand new but still it is just annoying.

If your comfortable with it, take advantage of it. Make sure you inspect and test the device first though.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
If your comfortable with it, take advantage of it. Make sure you inspect and test the device first though.
Ya not sure if comfortable with it. I mean, with Verizon I have to keep this broken iPhone 7+ in hand until they get me my new one which could take months...but what if that one comes defective as well. What a headache.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ya not sure if comfortable with it. I mean, with Verizon I have to keep this broken iPhone 7+ in hand until they get me my new one which could take months...but what if that one comes defective as well. What a headache.

It's a gamble. But if it means getting a new device, take your time.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
It's a gamble. But if it means getting a new device, take your time.
Yup, true. So here is my issue/strange problem on my iPhone 7 Plus. I finally got a chance to record it - https://streamable.com/twkj

In many of my videos I noticed at the start, the audio is not in the videos for the first 2-5 seconds and then it comes back in. But then once it does come back in, it drops out again and continues to do this. In the video example I post here, I am turning on and off a song from spotify, you will notice as it plays and the speaker logo comes next to the song when it is playing, the phone won't pick up the audio for a few seconds or when it does pick it up, it is low volume.

Aside from that, the mic I feel is making a sort of WHITE NOISE to every video. When I pause the song you should be able to hear the white noise. My room is completely silent. I would not say it is the hiss-gate noise but just empty fuzzy noise in every video, even when there is silence even when there is silence like at the start of the video and when I pause it.

Where is the microphone on the iPhone 7 plus? Maybe mine was damaged? Anyone else having similar issues?

xemprah

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
I spoke with the apple staff and they all like to claim its the first time they ever heard of the issue. Its a joke. Do what I did, return the phone and wait it out.

kevyniner

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
I spoke with the apple staff and they all like to claim its the first time they ever heard of the issue. Its a joke. Do what I did, return the phone and wait it out.
I just exchanged my iphone today for a corrupted front mic. I'm wondering if this is going to be an ongoing issue

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011

I just exchanged my iphone today for a corrupted front mic. I'm wondering if this is going to be an ongoing issue

I got my first replacement, it was even worse than the first one buzzing noise wise with video. Waiting for second replacement

jzachlee

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2017
My iPhone 7 had this issue as well. Video sounds drops intermittently during recording, like someone covered the microphone hole at the back of the phone. The frequency of the sound dropping off is not consistent.

Sent it in to Apple and they diagnosed it as a faulty rear microphone. Got a replacement unit as they said they could not replace the microphone.

mcroson

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2017
So here is my issue/strange problem on my iPhone 7 Plus. I finally got a chance to record it - https://streamable.com/twkj

Aside from that, the mic I feel is making a sort of WHITE NOISE to every video. When I pause the song you should be able to hear the white noise. My room is completely silent. I would not say it is the hiss-gate noise but just empty fuzzy noise in every video, even when there is silence like at the start of the video and when I pause it.

[doublepost=1492945422][/doublepost]I spent a month with this problem and finally solved it for my phone. Turns out it was my case! It was a military grade waterproof case. When I took the phone out of the case, the problem went away.

mcroson

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2017

[doublepost=1498710872][/doublepost]I had the exact same problem, but once I recorded something outside of my case and the problem was gone. It was my Pelican brand case, and the iPhone itself was working beautifully after all. Worth a check. I ended up buying a Speck case and have no audio problems now.

reemakatoch

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2018

[doublepost=1516173234][/doublepost]I am having the same issue, but my iPhone is out of warranty 2 months back, is there any way to fix it without replacing?

Cayes

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2018
Santa Fe NM
My iPhone 7+ did this from the get-go - while I was talking or listening on the phone, it would cut out for a few seconds, up to 15 seconds. I went twice to the Genius Bar and was told nothing was wrong with the hardware. They reset the Network Settings with no results. I finally broke down and restored the phone to original/new and started over. No results. After a year I went to AT&T and they exchanged my SIM card. No difference. Now I have a brand new iPhone X that is doing the same thing (perhaps because I used iTunes backup to activate it, my bad). Now I am on the phone with Apple Care (yes, they don't admit they know anything about it!) and am pondering starting over with the X. If restoring the X doesn't work, I will go to the store and make them keep giving me new phones until I get one that works. As a loyal Apple user since 1984, this hurts.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
[doublepost=1516173234][/doublepost]
I am having the same issue, but my iPhone is out of warranty 2 months back, is there any way to fix it without replacing?

The real question is whether Apple ever fixed this. This thread and the phones people are discussing are all probably about the same vintage as yours (and mine) - warranty expired. But to answer your question, no, I don't think this can be fixed except by getting a different phone.

I exchanged four phones last year before calling it quits with #5, which I still have. Other than that, it's a great phone. Thankfully, I personally don't use it to record video very often. If I did, I'd be...using another phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.