Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2019
Which phones FRONT CAMERA is better between Iphone 7 plus/8 plus/2nd Gen SE? As per apple.com i see that the cameras specs are exactly same for the features i am looking for ( I am not bothered about potrait mode or those effects that are there in new SE or videos)
My only question is about front facing camera pictures only.
Please let me know the order in which the pics looks better among these phones . Please help me with reference of any front facing camera comparison threads or articles or videos.

Front Camera: ( These features are exactly same for all three phones)
FaceTime HD camera
7MP photos
ƒ/2.2 aperture
Retina Flash
Auto HDR for photos

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
All three models have the same front camera sensor. If you don't care about Portrait mode or other software effects then the answer is simple.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
All three models have the same front camera sensor. If you don't care about Portrait mode or other software effects then the answer is simple.
JPack, even though they have the same sensor, the SE uses its A13 for computational photography and so takes better selfies in my opinion. Sharper, better dynamic range and exposure. I have both the 8 Plus and the SE, and there is definitely a difference.

Reactions: primarycolors

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
JPack, even though they have the same sensor, the SE uses its A13 for computational photography and so takes better selfies in my opinion. Sharper, better dynamic range and exposure. I have both the 8 Plus and the SE, and there is definitely a difference.

Unfortunately, I don't believe those features were applied to the front camera. The computational photography stuff was only applied to the rear camera.

If you look at the specs, Apple hasn't applied any post-iPhone 8 software features to the SE2. The front camera lacks Smart HDR, Extended dynamic range, and 60fps video recording, all of which are software features available on the XR and newer.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Unfortunately, I don't believe those features were applied to the front camera. The computational photography stuff was only applied to the rear camera.

If you look at the specs, Apple hasn't applied any post-iPhone 8 software features to the SE2. The front camera lacks Smart HDR, Extended dynamic range, and 60fps video recording, all of which are software features available on the XR and newer.

Jpack, see dxo mark selfie camera reviews for the new iphone SE and the and iphone X (which is exactly the same front camera as 8 and 8 plus). The SE got a score of 84 and the X got 71. All these phones have the exact same front camera, yet the SE got a fairly higher score, which i can understand completely as its better in practical usage. The 8/8 plus/X selfie cameras are fine though, but the SE’s has been improved whether its via the A13 chip or some other trickery.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPack

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA

The SE front camera actually does seem to have Smart HDR, including on portraits. It's noticeably better than the 8 and is absolutely the best of the phones in question :)

Reactions: snipr125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.