Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a_v_k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
So I have been using a 7+ for the last year and switched to the X a week ago. Before switching over to the X, I made sure my 7+ (on iOS 11.1) was full backed up via iCloud and restored this backup on the X (also on 11.1). Now after using the X for 5 days, I feel like I am really missing the bigger screen and want to switch to a 8+ or back to my old 7+.

However, now I see that the X created a new backup in iCloud. When I go to Manage Storage -> Backup, I see the last backup from my 7+ and another new one for my X. If I switch back to my 7+ or a new 8+, will I be able to restore using the X's backup ? Is the process to restore the backup the same.. for eg: if I switch back to my 7+, do I just reset data and settings and then restore from the X backup ?

For photos/videos I am using iCloud photo library so my understanding is that all the new photos that I took using my X will be synced back to the 7+/8+. Is my assumption correct ?

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
If they are on the same iOS version then you can restore from the newer X backup one without any problems.

My only problems have been trying to use a backup of a newer iOS device on my older iOS device. In that case I had to setup the device as new, update iOS and after I could restore from the backup.

You should have no problems with your setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.