Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattinmich1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
New here, but not really. Have posted quite a while back under an old user name.

Anyway, wanted to discuss my iPhone 7 I have on the Verizon network. In the past month or so, it's been losing service. I'd pick up the phone or even be using it, and all of a sudden it would display "No Service." Additionally, the phone's battery was dying faster than ever. I'm talking unplugged around 5:30 AM, needed to be plugged in by Noon as the phone was < 20% battery life. Last Thursday, the phone had to be plugged in as per usual. It was back to nearly 100% when I last looked at it. Picked it up a little while later, and it had the Apple Logo, as if it was restarting. Only this was in a loop. The Apple Logo would appear for 5 seconds, then blank for 10-15 seconds. Apple Logo would reappear for 5 seconds. Nothing I did would make a difference, I tried all the standard resetting procedures. After work, upon arriving home, I plugged the phone into the computer in order to do a DFU restore. Received an error code 4013 on both my iMac and a Dell PC we have. The phone was bricked.

Friday, after work, I went to the Apple Store in Ann Arbor. Took a while to see the "Genius" as I didn't have an appointment. He made the same determination I did when he tried to restore it there. He informed me the phone had an "antenna issue" and there's no fix for it. He said he's been seeing this a lot with the iPhone 7. I purchased the phone on Black Friday of last year, so it was about 3 weeks out of warranty. The gentleman informed me that he's been seeing this more and more with the iPhone 7, and always right around the 1 year mark.

Much to my delight, he replaced the phone at no charge to me. That is what keeps me an Apple customer. They have impeccable customer service! Not to mention, the night my phone was inoperable, I was allowed to take a Samsung Galaxy 6 home that is my employer's. I hated it!

Merry Christmas!

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
When I got to the part about it being out of warranty I had a slight clench thinking it was going the other way. Happy they took care of you!

This is the first I’ve heard of this problem, though. I wonder how an antenna issue would put the phone into a boot loop.

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
Over the years I’ve had a return out of the return window and same as you a warranty claim outside of the warranty window. Granted they were only out by about two weeks, but I was still grateful for that kind of customer service.

Part of the reason I keep coming back to Apple for my tech needs.

Reactions: mattinmich1981

le.bouch

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I’ve had several great experiences with Apple but none more so than when the display on my 2012 iMac died. In 2015.

The Genius said, “Well, it is three years old..”
I replied, “That’s my point - it’s only three years old...”

The screen was replaced free of charge, within a week.

Reactions: mattinmich1981

mattinmich1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2017
When I got to the part about it being out of warranty I had a slight clench thinking it was going the other way. Happy they took care of you!

This is the first I’ve heard of this problem, though. I wonder how an antenna issue would put the phone into a boot loop.

Completely baffles me, too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.