Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Wow oh wow! My iPhone 7 stopped working yesterday, meaning I was not able to make phone calls. Apparently with the new software update it rendered the speaker setting useless on my iPhone (see photo attached). The speaker icon button is grayed out whenever I try to make phone calls. There is no sound. The speaker does work because I can watch YouTube videos, for instance. This is a software issue. For the last two days I've been calling Apple and they refuse to accept that this is their fault and they want to charge me $350 for a replacement iPhone 7, even though the same issue would happen with a new phone. There is a petition on Change.org about this issue and I signed it. iPhone 7 users need to revolt against Apple. Just like the butterfly keyboard issue Apple is milking this to make me upgrade my phone. Don't let the Apple iPhone 7 "Speakergate" problem fool you. It is Apple's fault and they need to fix the issue.

https://www.change.org/p/apple-tell...ty-to-downgrade-ios-software-on-apple-devices

IMG_3380.jpg

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Wow oh wow! My iPhone 7 stopped working yesterday, meaning I was not able to make phone calls. Apparently with the new software update it rendered the speaker setting useless on my iPhone (see photo attached). The speaker icon button is grayed out whenever I try to make phone calls. There is no sound. The speaker does work because I can watch YouTube videos, for instance. This is a software issue. For the last two days I've been calling Apple and they refuse to accept that this is their fault and they want to charge me $350 for a replacement iPhone 7, even though the same issue would happen with a new phone. There is a petition on Change.org about this issue and I signed it. iPhone 7 users need to revolt against Apple. Just like the butterfly keyboard issue Apple is milking this to make me upgrade my phone. Don't let the Apple iPhone 7 "Speakergate" problem fool you. It is Apple's fault and they need to fix the issue.

https://www.change.org/p/apple-tell...ty-to-downgrade-ios-software-on-apple-devices

View attachment 854397

Did you show the apple employee that the speaker works for YouTube?

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Ask them to run a hardware diagnostics test

Good idea but right now I'm on the phone with Verizon and they are trying to help me with this problem. I need to be able to make phone calls ASAP and the fastest way I can do this the better. Apple is not helpful so hopefully Verizon will come through. If they can not help at least they will replace the phone for free. It will be another iPhone 7 so the problem will happen again. I have been working on this issue for more than 16 hours now. Do you think Apple will pay me for my time? They don't care.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Good idea but right now I'm on the phone with Verizon and they are trying to help me with this problem. I need to be able to make phone calls ASAP and the fastest way I can do this the better. Apple is not helpful so hopefully Verizon will come through. If they can not help at least they will replace the phone for free. It will be another iPhone 7 so the problem will happen again. I have been working on this issue for more than 16 hours now. Do you think Apple will pay me for my time? They don't care.

You can’t know for sure that the new 7 will have the same issue. 9 times out of 10 insurance replacements are not refurbished by Apple. But not sure how they they do it. Maybe they’ll give you a brand new one or a “refurbished” one. You’ll find out if you get to that point. Have you tried erasing the phone to factory settings and restoring from iCloud or setting up as new?

This is not a carrier issue. It is a software issue. I’m surprised Verizon isn’t telling you to reinstall iOS 12.4 because that is something you should try. First try a hard reset. If no luck, try resetting all settings. If no luck, jump into iTunes and reinstall iOS and restore from iCloud. If no luck, set up the phone without a restore.

If at that point it still doesn’t work, Apple will help you but may charge an out of warranty replacement fee if your device is no longer under warranty.

Reactions: theapplehead

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
You can’t know for sure that the new 7 will have the same issue. 9 times out of 10 insurance replacements are not refurbished by Apple. But not sure how they they do it. Maybe they’ll give you a brand new one or a “refurbished” one. You’ll find out if you get to that point. Have you tried erasing the phone to factory settings and restoring from iCloud or setting up as new?

This is not a carrier issue. It is a software issue. I’m surprised Verizon isn’t telling you to reinstall iOS 12.4 because that is something you should try. First try a hard reset. If no luck, try resetting all settings. If no luck, jump into iTunes and reinstall iOS and restore from iCloud. If no luck, set up the phone without a restore.

If at that point it still doesn’t work, Apple will help you but may charge an out of warranty replacement fee if your device is no longer under warranty.

I’ve already tried all of these suggestions. I did a hard factory reset on my phone with all of my apps and info backed up on iCloud. I reinstalled iOS and it still did not work. I’ve worked the last 16 hours on this issue to no avail. Why should I have to pay $350 for another iPhone 7 when it will have the same problem? This is Apple’s fault and they need to send a software update to fix this issue or offer a recall. Apple’s warranty and out of warranty replacement program is draconian. It was hammered over my head the last two days. They won’t fix my phone or replace it because they refuse to admit mistakes and they want everyone to spend more money on upgrades. At least so far Verizon is empathetic to this issue and is trying to come up with a solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: yeeoldmacbook23

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Also, Jessa Jones from iPad Rehab says this is a flawed hardware issue called “Loop Disease”. So is it a hardware or software issue? It doesn’t matter. Why did I spend $800 for an iPhone for it to last less than 3 years? Check this out:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vi...er-loop-disease-boot-loop-hangs-on-apple-logo

Wow, I didn’t know about this. What annoys me is Apple ALWAYS says “a very small number of devices/reports” to make it look as good as they can to not hurt their reputation and to avoid sending out recall notices to avoid that extra cost for repairs/replacements.

I’m not sure what they will do. I’m not very confident that they’ll issue a recall on it since that article says they have not sent a response and probably won’t, at least for awhile. It’s not a health hazard so I don’t see this being a priority.

I hope you can get this figured out. I’m assuming your 7 is out of warranty?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Whether it's a hardware or software issue is irrelevant. (It's hardware in this case.)

It's out of warranty and Apple won't service or replace it without a fee. You're better off using your time to look for a repair shop who can do micro-soldering.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Also, Jessa Jones from iPad Rehab says this is a flawed hardware issue called “Loop Disease”. So is it a hardware or software issue? It doesn’t matter. Why did I spend $800 for an iPhone for it to last less than 3 years? Check this out:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vi...er-loop-disease-boot-loop-hangs-on-apple-logo
I would recommend trying to enroll your device into iOS 13 beta and seeing if the beta fixes your software issue. Its worth a shot, since at this point you don't seem to have any other viable options.

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
I have been paying for insurance every month and Verizon is replacing the phone. It’s another iPhone 7 but hopefully it will work for awhile until I can decide when and what I want to upgrade to.

Also, I just heard back from Jessa Jones from iPad Rehab. Here is what she said:

"You have iPhone 7 audio ic epidemic. You need hardware repairs. The problem was just triggered by the stress of the update."

Last edited:

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
I have a brand new iPhone 7, I just updated to iOS 12.4 no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for your feedback. Please let us know if you have any problems in the future. I will be getting my new iPhone 7 in two days and let's see if the same issue happens with my new phone.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
No issues whatsoever here with the latest iOS version. I am sure the loop disease issue may happen on older iPhone 7’s. The iPhone 7 is still in production, I doubt the newer iPhone 7’s made will even have this problem.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

It matters from a warranty perspective of course. If it’s not a software issue as you initially claimed the 12 months warranty applies. Anything after that must be paid for if the user doesn’t have another way of insurance like Applecare for example.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Also, I just heard back from Jessa Jones from iPad Rehab. Here is what she said:

"You have iPhone 7 audio ic epidemic. You need hardware repairs. The problem was just triggered by the stress of the update."

Makes sense. iOS updates often contain firmware updates for the baseband radio, audio DSP, and other components.

If your iPhone has a defective DSP, it may mess with the firmware update. During the update process, the chip is especially sensitive to bad communication with the logic board. Normally, you might hear audio glitches, but firmware updates with bad data can kill the chip.

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Makes sense. iOS updates often contain firmware updates for the baseband radio, audio DSP, and other components.

If your iPhone has a defective DSP, it may mess with the firmware update. During the update process, the chip is especially sensitive to bad communication with the logic board. Normally, you might hear audio glitches, but firmware updates with bad data can kill the chip.

Thank you for your input. I know nothing about this stuff and your explanation seems reasonable to me. All I know is that I spent $800 on my iPhone 7 less than 3 years ago. I refuse to accept that having to spend this kind of money for a new phone every few years is the new normal. When I spend $800 on a phone I want it to last until I decide that I want to upgrade. Apple should not force me to upgrade. They can say all they want about the phone being out of warranty. Apple should acknowledge this defect and replace all iPhone 7's that have this problem. Apple will not accept responsibility. My hard earned money means nothing to Apple. I mean nothing to Apple.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No issues whatsoever here with the latest iOS version. I am sure the loop disease issue may happen on older iPhone 7’s. The iPhone 7 is still in production, I doubt the newer iPhone 7’s made will even have this problem.
Has there been some sort of a manufacturing change?

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
Same thoughts here. Phone repair shop professional strikes again.

Why is this is so unbelievable? We see quite often with PCs that a large Windows update can be enough to push iffy hardware to the point of failure, specifically hard drives. If a piece of hardware is prone to failure/old and on the verge of failure often times the "stress" of an update can be enough to "push it over the edge" whereas normal day-to-day use is not.

You can liken it to your body..you're genetically predisposed to an ACL tear and you suffer a tear after you stressed it with physical activity.

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
I just wanted to give everyone here an update. Thank you all for contributing to this thread. Because I had insurance, Verizon sent me a refurbished iPhone 7 and I activated it yesterday. I checked the model number and it's exactly the same as my old phone. The serial numbers and IMEI numbers were very close too. This morning when I registered the refurbished phone with Apple it was confirmed it is the older model made in 2017. With software 12.4 installed the speaker icon was not grayed out and the phone works perfectly.

It's just my guess that, yes, there is some kind of connection that gets loose over time and renders the speaker useless. Furthermore, I read that "loop disease" in its advanced stage will only display the Apple logo and will not allow phone access. This happened to me a few times and even after powering off and on my phone I could not get access to my phone. Because my refurbished phone hasn't been used yet (it's in flawless condition without scratches) it hasn't been stressed yet. Maybe this issue is similar to the bending iPads. Even so, Apple still needs to acknowledge this problem and replace any and all iPhone 7's that are having this problem.

For some of you perhaps, spending $800 is just a matter of 0's & 1's. For hard working people to save up for and to spend $800 on an iPhone and have it work only a couple of years before it needs upgrading is appalling. Like I said before, my hard earned money means nothing to Apple. I mean nothing to Apple.

Reactions: teknikal90
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.