Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
I'm having trouble deciding what to do here.

I bought an SE 2020 and it is still in its return window. I set it up with a trade in on my iPhone 7. So I still have both right now. I paid full price for the SE minus my trade-in which is feeling like less of a good deal now that the other phones all went down $100...

I like the SE but I couldn't help but feel like it's almost the same phone as my 7. I wanted a new phone because the 7 has been kinda slow lately, and has been getting warm and the battery has been dying faster. It is at 85% health, down from 87 only a couple weeks ago. I know I could just replace the battery but I started thinking I want something I can charge wirelessly, and that will be good for a bit longer.

I'm not as into the idea of losing Touch ID, so the SE seemed like the perfect fit.

But with both of them sitting here I can't help but pick up the 7 and think... it still works fine. I've been doing everything I need to do on it, yes it takes a second longer to load some apps than the new SE, yes the battery isn't as fresh, but overall it's still fully capable, and I can save hundreds of dollars by not upgrading to the SE which feels like almost exactly the same phone.

That made me start thinking maybe I should check out the 12 mini. As much as I hate the idea of having to put in my passcode to use Apple Pay at the grocery store with a mask on... I'd love to have the smaller size and the better camera setup with night mode. But then what - I drop 729 on a new iPhone only for them to release the version with Touch ID next year? That would drive me crazy.

What should I do? Keep the new SE? Return iPhone SE while I still can and wait for 12 to come out and then decide? Try to ride out the 7 for another whole year? I might need a battery replacement in that case, and then there goes my trade in value, so idk if that's a good idea.

What are iPhone 7 users upgrading to?

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Well, if you want to be my buddy we can ride out the 7 till next year ?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
There is no guarantee that next years models will have Touch ID added, so if you’re content with using your 7 for another year do that. There is no point in upgrading when you are clearly very price conscious. If you have to replace the battery, Apple does it for $49, others will charge more.

Reactions: New York

verito81

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
I would definitely go to the iphone 12 mini no doubt the iphone 7 which I had is very similar to the se 2020 I would go for the mini and enjoy that beautiful bigger screen
I decided to change the iphone 7 because it was too small for me after a year I wanted a bigger screen but still compact size and happy with the decision I made

IsaacM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
If you can afford it, 12 Mini. The difference is night and day.

If you have an Apple Watch, you can use that to pay without removing your mask or typing in the code at the grocery store. If not, you can get a Series 3 very cheap these days and solve that problem.

Reactions: Jxdawg and New York

New York

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I'm using an iPhone 6 and bought the 2020 SE the minute they came out. I tried it for a bit but then returned it to wait for the 12 Mini. I know what you mean when you say the SE is almost the same as what you already have (the aged designed doesn't help with this feeling). The 2020 SE internals are obviously a lot better, which for me basically meant that I could do the same things as on the iPhone 6 but it was way more responsive. The camera improvements are significant. So the SE was really great yet... strangely kind of the same. The iPhone 6 is no longer getting software updates, so I really need to upgrade, but the argument for upgrading from an iPhone 7 that works perfectly fine isn't so clear to me (especially if you replace the battery). Can you go to a store to check out the new iPhone 12? You'll then have a pretty good idea of what you'll get if you wait for the mini.

Reactions: tt061282

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Well I’ve been using the SE extensively since launch and it is definitely NOT the same as the iPhone 7. However I did get what you’re saying. It does “look” the same, but it’s different in a LOT of ways.

I do have an 11 and XS Max that I can use at times though, but find myself using the SE the most. Which has me very interested in the 12 mini as well. I can sale the XS Max and 11, buy the 12 mini and still have the SE and money left over. I’m leaning towards doing that. The 12 and 12 pro isn’t interesting me at all so I know I have a few weeks to decide thankfully lol.

chaoslimits

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2019
NJ
Definitely no upgrade until Touch ID comes back. SE2020 is the best option for me right now (OG SE). If I had a 7, I’d keep it for another year or 2.

Reactions: tt061282

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
What should I do? Keep the new SE? Return iPhone SE while I still can and wait for 12 to come out and then decide? Try to ride out the 7 for another whole year? I might need a battery replacement in that case, and then there goes my trade in value, so idk if that's a good idea.

There's a few ways to look at it:

If you're happy with the 7 and willing to wait, I'd suggest you keep that (replace battery if necessary) and wait and see if next years phone provides enough incentive to update.

If you're not happy with the 7, or are impatient, or just want a new phone, then go out and purchase a 12 mini. Worst comes to worst, you can sell the 12 mini (at a small lose) to purchase the 2021 iPhone containing the features you want.

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
I'm having trouble deciding what to do here.

I bought an SE 2020 and it is still in its return window. I set it up with a trade in on my iPhone 7. So I still have both right now. I paid full price for the SE minus my trade-in which is feeling like less of a good deal now that the other phones all went down $100...

I like the SE but I couldn't help but feel like it's almost the same phone as my 7. I wanted a new phone because the 7 has been kinda slow lately, and has been getting warm and the battery has been dying faster. It is at 85% health, down from 87 only a couple weeks ago. I know I could just replace the battery but I started thinking I want something I can charge wirelessly, and that will be good for a bit longer.

I'm not as into the idea of losing Touch ID, so the SE seemed like the perfect fit.

But with both of them sitting here I can't help but pick up the 7 and think... it still works fine. I've been doing everything I need to do on it, yes it takes a second longer to load some apps than the new SE, yes the battery isn't as fresh, but overall it's still fully capable, and I can save hundreds of dollars by not upgrading to the SE which feels like almost exactly the same phone.

That made me start thinking maybe I should check out the 12 mini. As much as I hate the idea of having to put in my passcode to use Apple Pay at the grocery store with a mask on... I'd love to have the smaller size and the better camera setup with night mode. But then what - I drop 729 on a new iPhone only for them to release the version with Touch ID next year? That would drive me crazy.

I'm upgrading with an iPhone 12.
12 mini is a very strong option too, but I'm looking for a slightly bigger phone and was a bit worried about battery life.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Thanks all for your input

Money isn't an issue... I could afford the most expensive iPhone in the lineup if I wanted it. It's more that I feel I could put $300-400 to better use than replacing my 7 with something that feels almost exactly the same when the 7 is still working. So I guess you could say I'm frugal but not broke.

Also I've stopped using a case and screen protector on the old 7 which is nice. I don't think I could bring myself to do that with any new phone.

Also if SE went on sale for 50-100 off once the holidays roll around, I'd definitely feel like I jumped the gun on it. Wish I thought of that before I ordered... since 12 came out, the SE is the only phone in the lineup that didn't decrease in price. I could probably get a better deal on it in a couple months, if I really need to upgrade. Or, I could spend a few extra hundred and get the 12 mini, but I'm still undecided on that, I just don't know if I can live without Touch ID.

Leaning toward returning the SE now and either running the 7 into the ground or reevaluating if/when holiday deals happen...

Reactions: HarryWild

Azzurro

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2015
Milan
Leaning toward returning the SE now and either running the 7 into the ground or reevaluating if/when holiday deals happen...

I think you made the right decision. I also am waiting either for the 12 mini but I'd wait for Black Friday and cross fingers that I can grab one. Or I might just end up with the SE 2020 which is not bad.

Reactions: Camarillo Brillo

gary77

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
London England
I agree think you made the right choice more so as you like Touch ID so going for the 12 wouldn't make much sense if anything maybe look at the SE it'll still be an upgrade over the 7

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
I just don't know if I could do the Apple Watch... I actually like wearing an analog watch, it's nice to be able to check the time without looking at iPhone notifications

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Yeah... I don't think I want to see ANY of that stuff on my wrist! lol. Just the time. I don't want another thing to charge constantly either. Real watches either have batteries that last years, or mechanical movements that don't require batteries at all. I don't think Apple Watch is for me. I can pull out my phone to do phone stuff.

Reactions: Lwii2boo

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I just don't know if I could do the Apple Watch... I actually like wearing an analog watch, it's nice to be able to check the time without looking at iPhone notifications
You have full control of which notifications through to Apple Watch and you can disable them all, if you like. I think you will be happy with Apple Watch. In my mind AW it is currently Apple's best gadget. It is also Apple smallest phone ;-). I use it primarely for fitness, but love that during summer in light clothe, I can walk around without my phone or wallet. It really does almost all. I can pay, navigate, track fitness, phone etc. except taking pictures.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
You have full control of which notifications through to Apple Watch and you can disable them all, if you like. I think you will be happy with Apple Watch. In my mind AW it is currently Apple's best gadget. It is also Apple smallest phone ;-). I use it primarely for fitness, but love that during summer in light clothe, I can walk around without my phone or wallet. It really does almost all. I can pay, navigate, track fitness, phone etc. except taking pictures.
I did not know that you can use the Apple watch wallet Apple pay without having an iPhone close by! That is great news! That the main reason that in the past for me to not to buy an Apple watch!

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Similiar problem, still on my launch day SE (2016) with original battery.

the SE (2020) would be attractive price wise, improved camera and still have a Touch ID.

the 12 Mini is almost twice the price here, but smaller body and larger screen with fantastic cameras, but lacks Touch ID.

Also wondering, whether I should hope my original SE lasts and wait for a 13 Mini with power button or underscreen Touch ID. But it’s no guarantee at all that a 13 Mini or power button or underscreen Touch ID
will arrive.

I‘ve been told my company is partly financing BYOD iPhones (max 49% of cheaper devices or up to 300 at most), if you don’t want the Android supported MDS devices.
However once the voucher is used, you are on your own for at least 3 years for support, damage, theft, replacement etc.

12 Mini Price would come down from 780 to 480, which is 80 more than the current SE (2020) in stores.
the SE (2020) would only cost me 200.

if I get that voucher I‘ll have a look at the hands on reviews of the 12 Mini first before deciding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.