Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EW800

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Hoping to get a few opinions, please. My college-age daughter is still using an iPhone 7-plus (256GB). She has been happy with the 7-plus and has never really said much about getting a new phone until now. She is really eyeing the iPhone 11 (not the Pro version). I know the 11 is lower end, however am I correct in assuming that this would still be a significant improvement for her as compared to the 7-plus?

Opinions?

Thanks!

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Hoping to get a few opinions, please. My college-age daughter is still using an iPhone 7-plus (256GB). She has been happy with the 7-plus and has never really said much about getting a new phone until now. She is really eyeing the iPhone 11 (not the Pro version). I know the 11 is lower end, however am I correct in assuming that this would still be a significant improvement for her as compared to the 7-plus?

Opinions?

Thanks!

Imo yes. Asides from a inferior screen resolution wise it’s better. Don’t get me wrong the screen looks good either way. But you get Bluetooth 5.0, better battery life and lose those bezels which is worth it

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
There are comparisons of the 7 vs the XS on YouTube using IOS 13 beta. It looks just as fast as an Xs for all intents & purposes. The 11 won't be noticeably faster.
I don't think an iPhone 11 is much of an improvement over the 7 Plus except for the camera. If I had a 7 Plus, I personally wouldn't swap it for an 11.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

Opinions?

Thanks!
It's a huge upgrade! It has the same components as the Pro except "only" two cameras and LCD instead of OLED display. The metal band around the phone is aluminum instead of steel but just like all phones since the X the front and back is all glass. This is going to be the weak point so get a case unless you're one of those people who can carry an egg around all day without breaking it. Don't listen to the " but it's not 1080P" crowd. I had the 7 Plus, upgraded to the XS Max and I've seen the XR in stores (Same screen as the non pro iPhone 11). I'm considering trading my XS Max for the iPhone 11 when it comes out. If you're absolutely paranoid go to the Apple Store and look at them in person.
[doublepost=1568244937][/doublepost]
There are comparisons of the 7 vs the XS on YouTube using IOS 13 beta. It looks just as fast as an Xs for all intents & purposes. The 11 won't be noticeably faster.
I don't think an iPhone 11 is much of an improvement over the 7 Plus except for the camera. If I had a 7 Plus, I personally wouldn't swap it for an 11.
Wireless charging, A13 vs A10 processor, double the RAM, cameras are significantly improved, battery life significantly improved, FaceID, etc. I could go on with more differences but I think it's pretty clear

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's a huge upgrade! It has the same components as the Pro except "only" two cameras and LCD instead of OLED display. The metal band around the phone is aluminum instead of steel but just like all phones since the X the front and back is all glass. This is going to be the weak point so get a case unless you're one of those people who can carry an egg around all day without breaking it. Don't listen to the " but it's not 1080P" crowd. I had the 7 Plus, upgraded to the XS Max and I've seen the XR in stores (Same screen as the non pro iPhone 11). I'm considering trading my XS Max for the iPhone 11 when it comes out. If you're absolutely paranoid go to the Apple Store and look at them in person.
[doublepost=1568244937][/doublepost]
Wireless charging, A13 vs A10 processor, double the RAM, cameras are significantly improved, battery life significantly improved, FaceID, etc. I could go on with more differences but I think it's pretty clear
The 11 is a huge upgrade over the 7. https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/ Maybe one doesn't care about the differences in phones over three model years, and that's okay, given it's being used for a college student. But to deny there is virtually no difference, is not the case. A fairly big update in terms of features and functions.

It maybe the 7 is a better value for college, given a college environment. Only the parents can make that determination. However, the battery life according to the specs is much better in the 11.

Reactions: russell_314

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
I have a 7 and would love a bigger/brighter screen for reading Waze or Maps in the car. That and the night photos (whatever it’s called) might be enough to justify an upgrade.

Reactions: russell_314

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
My son has the XR, I have a Max, I can tell you that the screen is not inferior at all, it’s not a low end device. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but it’s a fantastic phone. I can only assume the 11 would be the same as the XR, if not better, so yes it would be a nice upgrade.

TSM

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Yes. Check that video. The weak point of the 7 is battery, but not so much on that plus.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My wife has the XR. The screen is a downgrade compared to my 7 Plus. I definitely notice it, with the edges of some small fonts with some content being noticeably blurrier on the XR. However, I will say my wife doesn't care. She doesn't see the difference unless I point it out to her, and even then she doesn't care. However, for me, I have a hard time unseeing the differences. It's actually not bad, but nonetheless it just bugs me sometimes.

The true upgrade to the 7 Plus is the 11 Pro Max, but that costs too much for me to upgrade now. I'll likely upgrade to the Max, but not until next year, when 5G actually can justify the upgrade.

---

To put it another way:

If you think the iPhone 6/6s/7/8 screen looks good, then you'll like the XR screen. My wife upgraded from her 6s and she likes her XR.

However, you think the Plus model screens look better than the 6/6s/7/8, then there's a good chance you'll think the XR screen is a downgrade. I fall into that category.

Last edited:

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
I’ve got a 64GB iPhone 6. Thinking about getting the 11 (not pro), mainly because the 6 won’t get iOS updates anymore. I know the device will still work, but I prefer to have the most up to date iOS version for security updates. That feels important to me. Happy to hear other thoughts.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
If night mode works as they say, for me is an upgrade. The XR was a great phone (a little big for me, but you came from a 7+ so it should not be a problem); but the lack of portrait mode for objects was a dissapointed.

Now with the portrait open for everything and the night mode... I think the Plus series is over.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Although the iPhone 11 (XR last year) has this year's CPU and FaceID... This is the first time a lower end phone's camera as caught up to and slightly surpassed the 7+'s camera.

Primary lens, optical stabilization, secondary lens, telephoto, digital stabilization.

The iPhone 11, will have a lower screen usable screen area as compared to the iPhone 7+...

The 7+ is 1080x1920. The iPhone 11 screen, horizontally it will be more constrained. The iPhone 11 scaling is on par with the iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone XR, iPhone 8, iPhone 7.

Keep in mind, pixels per inch, and resolution are not exactly represented by the graphical elements and object spacing. This goes for any Retina display. Imagine the screen is divided into a virtual grid independent of resolution. Everything is scaled in reference to the grid... I use the term "grid" just for this explanation. There is an official term for this, points, etc, which escape me.

The iPhone 6,6S,7,8,X,XS,XR,11 have the same virtual grid.
The iPhone 6+,6S+,7+,XSMax,11Max have the same virtual grid.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The iPhone 11, will have a lower screen usable screen area as compared to the iPhone 7+...

The 7+ is 1080x1920. The iPhone 11 screen, horizontally it will be more constrained. The iPhone 11 scaling is on par with the iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone XR, iPhone 8, iPhone 7.

Keep in mind, pixels per inch, and resolution are not exactly represented by the graphical elements and object spacing. This goes for any Retina display. Imagine the screen is divided into a virtual grid independent of resolution. Everything is scaled in reference to the grid... I use the term "grid" just for this explanation. There is an official term for this, points, etc, which escape me.

We went through this last year and the year before.

The XR and 11 will display more content than iPhone Plus. The area of the actual LCD is also bigger than Plus.

The iPhone 6,6S,7,8,X,XS,XR,11 have the same virtual grid.
The iPhone 6+,6S+,7+,XSMax,11Max have the same virtual grid.

No, refer to the link below for details.

https://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/ultimate-guide-to-iphone-resolutions

Reactions: MrAperture and EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
We went through this last year and the year before.

The XR and 11 will display more content than iPhone Plus. The area of the actual LCD is also bigger than Plus.

No, refer to the link below for details.

https://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/ultimate-guide-to-iphone-resolutions
Yes, in terms of information shown on screen, the XR/11/Max all show the same amount of information width-wise as the Plus, but much more in height. Think of XR/11/Max as equivalent of the Plus with the bezels converted to usable screen.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Okay, I was partially correct...

I put the 11/XR on the wrong side... However it does seem the 11/XR rendering is worse off than the Plus models.

However because of the point grid, I suspect you won't notice much difference in quality... Maybe someone would, but given that everything else inside the 11 is an upgrade to the 7+, the usability is much improved.

My original assumption is that it would feel a little bit more claustrophobic... But it's just slightly lower quality resolution on a slightly larger display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.