Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albertthecurious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
Budapest, Hungary
Hi Guys!

I' am wondering about an issue and I can't decide without relevant infos from daily users. So I thought maybe you can help me.

I have an iPhone 7 what I bought in June. During the months I found the battery life very poor (certainly I'm not alone with this), so I bought the Smart Battery Case. This is a good product and it definitely do what have to do. The iPhone stands up to 11 hours usage time with, and only 5-6 without it. Ok, but then what is my problem? Yeah, it is simple, I don't like the feeling as the Smart Battery Case fits in my phone. This bump is horrible, the phone is a fat shick when it's on. So I started wondering what would be if I changed for an iPhone Plus?! Not just because the Case, but also the bigger screen, heavier RAM, etc. and the feeling when I hold the phone in my hands I want a thin thing. The standalone iPhone 7's poor usage time is not enough for me

So, I would like to ask you about the iPhone 7 Plus battery life during (mid)heavy usage in real life. Does it lasts a day? What is the usual usage hour(s)?

And finally: What do you think?

Thanks,
Albert

PS: Sorry if I've made mistakes, I'm not a native English speaker.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Here is the thing to consider:

iPhone 7 Battery capacity: 1960 mAh
iPhone 7 Battery + Apple Battery Case: 1960 mAh + 2365 mAh = 4325 mAh

The iPhone 7 Plus battery capacity: 2900 mAh

Both iPhones use the same CPU. However, more power is spent by the Plus due to having a larger screen.

Do bear in mind, straight up math in battery tech is not always indicative which solution will work best. It'll give you a path to follow and investigate. Battery life will always depend on several other factors.

Reactions: Danoc and akash.nu

albertthecurious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
Budapest, Hungary
Here is the thing to consider:

iPhone 7 Battery capacity: 1960 mAh
iPhone 7 Battery + Apple Battery Case: 1960 mAh + 2365 mAh = 4325 mAh

The iPhone 7 Plus battery capacity: 2900 mAh

Both iPhones use the same CPU. However, more power is spent by the Plus due to having a larger screen.

Do bear in mind, straight up math in battery tech is not always indicative which solution will work best. It'll give you a path to follow and investigate. Battery life will always depend on several other factors.

Yeah, I know this is a huge difference. I've done some research and it's still hard to decide despite the battery facts. Do/did you have an iPhone 7 Plus? If yes, what are your personal remarks about the iPhone 7 Plus battery life in use?

Or anyone?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Yeah, I know this is a huge difference. I've done some research and it's still hard to decide despite the battery facts. Do/did you have an iPhone 7 Plus? If yes, what are your personal remarks about the iPhone 7 Plus battery life in use?

Or anyone?

I don't own a Plus. I only own a 7. I can't comment further than that on the benefits as a Plus owner.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi Guys!

I' am wondering about an issue and I can't decide without relevant infos from daily users. So I thought maybe you can help me.

I have an iPhone 7 what I bought in June. During the months I found the battery life very poor (certainly I'm not alone with this), so I bought the Smart Battery Case. This is a good product and it definitely do what have to do. The iPhone stands up to 11 hours usage time with, and only 5-6 without it. Ok, but then what is my problem? Yeah, it is simple, I don't like the feeling as the Smart Battery Case fits in my phone. This bump is horrible, the phone is a fat shick when it's on. So I started wondering what would be if I changed for an iPhone Plus?! Not just because the Case, but also the bigger screen, heavier RAM, etc. and the feeling when I hold the phone in my hands I want a thin thing. The standalone iPhone 7's poor usage time is not enough for me

So, I would like to ask you about the iPhone 7 Plus battery life during (mid)heavy usage in real life. Does it lasts a day? What is the usual usage hour(s)?

And finally: What do you think?

Thanks,
Albert

PS: Sorry if I've made mistakes, I'm not a native English speaker.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-plus-battery-life.1998209/

albertthecurious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
Budapest, Hungary
That’s a question for me.

Let’s say with a certain, moderate to heavy usage with an iPhone 7 unplugged at 7am, you end up with 10% battery level at 7pm.

With an iPhone 7 Plus, you would be at 30%.

With the smart battery case on an iPhone 7, you would be at 0% on the battery case and 90% on the iPhone 7.

That’s my observation or feeling, about 90% sure.

You definitely get better and noticeable battery life with an iPhone 7 Plus, but not twice like what you can get with the smart battery case, which is, by the way, to my opinion, one of the best Apple designed products ever (so I disagree with your distaste of it).

That being said, if I had to keep one, I would choose the iPhone 7 Plus. For many other reasons.

I think you are good with what you have.

Yeah, you're right about the battery issues as you mentioned above. I have no problem with the Smart Battery Case performance, it is actually very good and I have no problem with its look neither. I have "problems" with the feeling when I holding the phone (weight), and when I put it in my pocket. Ok, this is maybe a ridiculous reason but I started thinking to change for an iPhone 7 Plus because of this. But not only because of this. I think I would love the bigger screen, the 8-10 hours usage time (with no bump), the dual camera, etc.

And why would you choose the Plus?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Obviously the screen size, for someone like me who rely on the device so much for so many things.

I would also add the Plus models are primarily popular because of the display, but Apple also heavily markets the dual camera obviously exclusive to the Plus model and the extended battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.