Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactech20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
Hey All,

I have an iPhone 7 128gb Jet Black that I have been using since the dawn of time now. I tried a 13 Pro but absolutely hated how big and heavy it was so I returned it.

My buddy from a couple states away offered me his old iPhone X 256GB for $100, it just needs a new battery. Is it worth the $180 for the Phone+battery replacement even though its only one year newer?

Will I see any noticeable improvements?

Thanks!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
YES.
The iPhone 8 & 8 Plus have the same processor as the X.
I have a 7 and both 8s and the 8 series is a definite improvement over the 7.

The iPhone X will be too.
The X has a first generation OLED display that bothered some people due to high frequency flickering. Some people don’t notice it and others get nailed by it (headaches, eye strain, nausea, dizziness).
So you’ve GOT to use that screen for a while before committing to it to see if you’re sensitive to the PWM flickering or not.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Absolutely!!!

Face ID, telephoto camera, OLED, larger display.  A11 Bionic chip, overall better phone.

No contest ?

1647303725321.jpeg

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
For that price, I would say yes. Apple’s trade-in value for the X is currently $170, so it seems your friend is offering a good deal unless there’s something wrong with it. Most people try to sell higher than trade-in values.

If cost isn’t much of a factor for a new phone (considering you had the 13 Pro), I think you have other valid options to keep in mind or at least consider if you haven’t already…
  • The regular 13 is lighter than the Pro and is the same weight as the X (but still heavier than the 7). The X and 13 are roughly the same size too. The regular 12 is a little lighter than the X and 13.
  • The 13 mini is about the same weight as the 7. It’s even slightly smaller, but still has a bigger display. The 12 mini is similar.
  • If you think you might prefer Touch ID over Face ID or want the same form factor as the 7, there’s the SE.
So if size and weight are your only concerns, you wouldn’t necessarily have to go with the X since current models are comparable to the X (12/13) or even the 7 (12 mini/13 mini/SE).

Last edited:
Reactions: BluefinTuna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.