Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1wallpaperfactory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2016
Boston, MA
I'd like to hear people's views on the two ways I think we can set 'shelves' wallpapers or other wallpapers that need precise home/lock screen alignment:
  1. The first and most well known, I think, is to go to: Settings -> General -> Accessibility --> Reduce Motion --> ON which disables the parallax effect. Then, you can set any 1,334 x 750 wallpaper as your home screen. if you still want to have the app open/close effects, you can go back and turn the Reduce Motion back to OFF (wallpaper won't be affected).
  2. Using image editing tools (example), you can 'parallax' the original wallpaper, i.e. add padding to convert it from 1,334 x 750 to 1,608 x 852 and then set it as your home screen using 'still' (so that it doesn't move) Vs. 'perspective' (Apple instructions)
I think these are the only 2 ways that I can think of doing this.
Please let me know if I'm missing anything.
I think each method has its pros and cons but interested to see what people think.
My feeling is that the parallax effect made this process so complicated that people stopped using 'shelves' or other custom made wallpapers as their home/lock screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.