Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramez98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Here is my iphone 7 still in warranty ... i was changing my cover and had seen these rust points and eaten ports i talked with apple support and went to service provider and they just assumed it is chemical damage out of no where and when i talked to apple advisor he told me it is your problem not ours and ended the call and was talking in a rude way i complained to apple and they said that pictures and report will be delivered to engineering office .. and i am waiting ... but the report of service center said it is chemical damage but they have no proof will that affect apple decision ?? and what should i do if they refused to change the mobile .. please help .. thanks in advance

Attachments

• 23660232_2736531426485590_1976074704_o.jpg
    23660232_2736531426485590_1976074704_o.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,513
  • 23715298_2736531473152252_108191479_o.jpg
    23715298_2736531473152252_108191479_o.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 877
  • 23730630_2736531446485588_1649593394_o.jpg
    23730630_2736531446485588_1649593394_o.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 733
  • 23730983_2736531433152256_807455029_o.jpg
    23730983_2736531433152256_807455029_o.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 809

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Wow, that's... that's pretty bad. It looks like the phone had a date with an acid bath.

If you were changing the case there may have been something on the case that caused that issue, though I can't see what it could have been.

EDIT: as Citivolus said, possibly a battery. The corrosion appears to have happened from the exterior rather than the internal battery, so maybe your external case was one of those battery extender cases and its battery leaked? Just throwing out ideas.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Tell us what case you are using.

It does like a chemical agent not only attacked the anodized surface but the aluminum also.

Is this the first time you changed your cover.

What do you do for a living that might have exposed this device for this to happen.

I can see why Apple is saying it is not their fault.

Ramez98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
it was first time to change cover .. and i never leave phone without a cover .. and no its normal cover without battery extended .. and its not acid because the cover that was on doesn't have anything it still like brand new .. the service reported that battery is in good condition ... and all over the mobile .. the way of treatment .. and saying that i am lying and closed the line ..

Ramez98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
and i was at home for that 2 days and the mobile was fine nothing was on it ..
[doublepost=1510935993][/doublepost]a glass case from x-doria and nothing was spilt on it for sure
[doublepost=1510936176][/doublepost]what i should do now ??

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA

Ramez98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
no a normal case but it is glass somehow ... i need help please .. the phone looks in a disgusting manner .. and apple is just talking to me as a criminal and i am the faulty one and that is my problem .. and they will not do anything

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I would contact whoever makes your case. This is not an Apple issue.
[doublepost=1510936492][/doublepost]
no a normal case but it is glass somehow ... i need help please .. the phone looks in a disgusting manner .. and apple is just talking to me as a criminal and i am the faulty one and that is my problem .. and they will not do anything

I don't understand why you think Apple should do something when you made a choice that ultimately ruined your phone.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I don't think there's anything they can do. It looks like user damage. Just put an opaque case on it and hope you forget about it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
it was first time to change cover .. and i never leave phone without a cover .. and no its normal cover without battery extended .. and its not acid because the cover that was on doesn't have anything it still like brand new .. the service reported that battery is in good condition ... and all over the mobile .. the way of treatment .. and saying that i am lying and closed the line ..

I have seen and read threads before where cases can be the curlprit causing damage to the anodized aluminum. It's some type of chemical reaction with the materials from the case with the aluminum. What happens is the iPhone warms up with when the phone is charging or in use, which causes the case to heat up, causing the case to deposit some residue on the aluminum, which degrades the finish on the iPhone, hence eBay happened to your iPhone. I'm not saying it's for sure, but definitely a possibility.

I don't think Apple necessarily will be responsible for this IF your third party case was the problem, but they could at least investigate it the issue as well.

Last edited:

Ramez98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I would contact whoever makes your case. This is not an Apple issue.
[doublepost=1510936492][/doublepost]

I don't understand why you think Apple should do something when you made a choice that ultimately ruined your phone.
how come it is my fault the cover is 100 percent fine and been using it for 9 months plus an original apple cover i have been using ... could a case normal case get the phone on rust like that

Ramez98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I don't think there's anything they can do. It looks like user damage. Just put an opaque case on it and hope you forget about it.
shall i leave my right and letting them treat me by that way and leave the phone by this way ..
[doublepost=1510936767][/doublepost]
If you never removed the case.... could be something as silly as sweat. Got under there and sat forever.

Also aluminum doesn't rust.
i mean never removed the case while using mobile .. but of course i have been changing covers .. and it was totally fine till that day ..

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm a bit confused why you keep switching between case and cover... aren't they the same?

Finally i just looked up that case... how could not have seen this kind of damage way before?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
how come it is my fault the cover is 100 percent fine and been using it for 9 months plus an original apple cover i have been using ... could a case normal case get the phone on rust like that

I am sorry, that may have came off a little rude. It may not necessarily be your fault specifically, but your phone encountered something that caused the issue with the phone. It's not an Apple issue (from what it looks like) so I wouldn't be expecting Apple to fix it. As I mentioned, I would contact the case maker if that was the only thing that came in contact with the phone.

Ramez98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I have seen and read threads before where cases can be the curlprit causing damage to the anodized aluminum. It's some type of chemical reaction with the materials from the case with the aluminum. What happens is the iPhone warms up with when the phone is charging or in use, which causes the case to heat up, causing a the case to deposit some residue on the aluminum, which degrades the finish on the iPhone, hence eBay happened to your iPhone. I'm not saying it's for sure, but definitely a possibility.

I don't think Apple necessarily will be responsible for this IF your third party case was the problem, but they could at least investigate it the issue as well.
but it is not a third party case it is an original case and approved in america ... how should it be the problem

Ramez98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I am sorry, that may have came off a little rude. It may not necessarily be your fault specifically, but your phone encountered something that caused the issue with the phone. It's not an Apple issue (from what it looks like) so I wouldn't be expecting Apple to fix it. As I mentioned, I would contact the case maker if that was the only thing that came in contact with the phone.
how come it could encountered something ... the phone for theses 3 days was totally in home and i was using it and nothing even touched the phone

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
i mean never removed the case while using mobile .. but of course i have been changing covers .. and it was totally fine till that day ..

Looking at the pictures you posted, something has actively corroded the metal - air/sweat just won't do that. Something has happened to cause that and it's certainly not anything that would be within the scope of the warranty.

It's been eaten into with something highly acidic: it's not synonymous with heat damage and if it was 'totally fine' until one day then something must have happened between those times to cause the problem - be that a case you put on, or the phone being exposed to something unorthodox. That damage wouldn't just randomly happen with normal use unless you breathe Boron gas in your home.

If the only variable is the case you put on then it would be best to speak with the case manufacturer.

Reactions: rattler

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
but it is not a third party case it is an original case and approved in america ... how should it be the problem

It's a third party case not manufactured by Apple. If the case was the issue, then Apple will direct you to deal with the case manufacturer directly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
shall i leave my right and letting them treat me by that way and leave the phone by this way ..
[doublepost=1510936767][/doublepost]

Your only recourse is with Apple. If in Mexico I do not think you have Apple stores but people who sell Apple products. These people have the final say so as if they are not going to replace it, you might be out of luck!

It is a long shot but you could email Apple but no matter if you think it is your fault or not, what has happened to this phone is not Apple's fault, looks like the back case is almost eaten all the way through with corrosion.

Forget the last three days. This could have been happening for months.

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
how come it could encountered something ... the phone for theses 3 days was totally in home and i was using it and nothing even touched the phone

Because iPhone casings don't just look like that all of a sudden. At least I haven't seen one. And people come to these forums to complain about scratches that they do themselves, so I feel like I would have heard about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.