Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelew1985

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Hey all, so I am looking to switch back to the iPhone and currently I can get a free iphone 7 with activation and switch on Cricket. Is this phone still a solid phone to get for those who can't afford to drop a bunch of money?

The biggest reason for considering switching is my hearing aids are MFI and I want a solid camera. I primarily use my phone for slack, social media, email and web browsing.

I should also mention that my last iphone was a 6s

ryankul

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2014
Michigan
I think it’s still a very capable smartphone. Runs the latest system software smoothly. Only downside is I have experienced battery life. Goes quick.
Hey all, so I am looking to switch back to the iPhone and currently I can get a free iphone 7 with activation and switch on Cricket. Is this phone still a solid phone to get for those who can't afford to drop a bunch of money?

The biggest reason for considering switching is my hearing aids are MFI and I want a solid camera. I primarily use my phone for slack, social media, email and web browsing.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
iPhone 7 is still a great phone, heck even iPhone 6S is still great with iOS 13. iPhone 7 can easily get other 2-3 year worth of update in my opinion.

The only thing iPhone 7 is bad at, is the battery endurance. I assume you will need connect your hearing aids constantly with iPhone and I can see this could shorten already bad battery endurance. You would either purchase a battery case or go for iPhone 7 Plus (at this point, I don't know if you can still find brand-new iPhone 7 plus)

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

I looked at cricket website to see their selections. If you can spend at least $200, the 2020 SE is a much better phone and will last you longer in terms of software support.

If budget is super strict, then yes, amongst all the free options, the iPhone 7 is probably the best one. I have a 7 Plus, and performance wise it’s still great.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I looked at cricket website to see their selections. If you can spend at least $200, the 2020 SE is a much better phone and will last you longer in terms of software support.

If budget is super strict, then yes, amongst all the free options, the iPhone 7 is probably the best one. I have a 7 Plus, and performance wise it’s still great.
7+ has more ram than the 7, which is what makes or breaks iPhones.

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
I use an iPhone 8 which is just a year newer, and everything runs smoothly and fast. You should expect almost the same in the 7. My only complaint is battery life.

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
I loved my 7, the only reason I switch was because it dropped and the earpiece speaker broke. They make it too expensive to fix to force you to upgrade. So I did, but if that hadn’t happened I’d still be using it.

jelew1985

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Thank you everyone! The information is really helpful. We are going to wait a little longer and see if the next iPhone release creates any new deals on the iPhone SE.

Reactions: AE_stc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.