Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Not really. The bezelless phone with Amoled was supposed to be this year, but got pushed back to next year for tenth anniversary addition.

I think Gruber, love him or loathe him, is spot on regarding the mythical anniversary iPhone. Fifth paragraph;

http://daringfireball.net/2016/10/iphone_edition

Although I do believe Apple holds back some features for cost reasons (understandably), and (more cynically) to encourage frequent purchases.

Last edited:

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I will mark my calendar. I do hope we get the 3 iphones mentioned. As I don't want a curved iphone. Played with them a couple years ago and don't like them.

zalchi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2016
Hungary
This is a geek's wish list, and definitely not apple's list.

1. VR? not gonna happen
  2. 4K on 5.5" screen? for what? drain battery and heat up faster than it can recharge with little benefit.
  3. Curved screen? seriously those gimmick curved TV are a niche market.
  4. no camera bump? not gonna happen unless they want to downgrade camera picture quality or increase thickness. two biggest compromises just for no camera bump? not gonna happen.
  5. 4GB RAM and USB 3. I wish for USB 3 but apple is pushing for cloud, not local storage.
[doublepost=1477148647][/doublepost]

some of us never pay full price for a phone. we spend a faction of the cost by using carrier subsidize/promotion and selling old phone. for example, I paid around $200 for iphone 7 plus, including tax and activation fee.

Pro products don't need to be the slimmest, 8mm is ok if there's bigger battery and no camera bump. USB 3 sure will come, iPad Pro has already got it. bigger resolution is for VR and marketing. Apple prefers AR, but you can augment VR with cameras, intel does it.
[doublepost=1477217242][/doublepost]
how about we wait till 2017 till even thinking about next years phone?
tell Cupertino this

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Pro products don't need to be the slimmest, 8mm is ok if there's bigger battery and no camera bump. USB 3 sure will come, iPad Pro has already got it. bigger resolution is for VR and marketing.

you are thinking it like a "geek" which apple is not. that is Android. all iphone and ipad product lines have the same thickness. would apple change their manufacturing process just to have one iphone with different thickness? highly doubt it.

but for what benefit? if regular consumers, including kids and grandma, want VR, then Apple would go for it. but I doubt regular consumers would care for it yet.

zalchi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2016
Hungary
https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/31/sharp-confirms-oled-iphones/

This is a geek's wish list, and definitely not apple's list.

1. VR? not gonna happen
  2. 4K on 5.5" screen? for what? drain battery and heat up faster than it can recharge with little benefit.
  3. Curved screen? seriously those gimmick curved TV are a niche market.
  4. no camera bump? not gonna happen unless they want to downgrade camera picture quality or increase thickness. two biggest compromises just for no camera bump? not gonna happen.
  5. 4GB RAM and USB 3. I wish for USB 3 but apple is pushing for cloud, not local storage.
[doublepost=1477148647][/doublepost]

some of us never pay full price for a phone. we spend a faction of the cost by using carrier subsidize/promotion and selling old phone. for example, I paid around $200 for iphone 7 plus, including tax and activation fee.

zalchi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2016
Hungary
new infos in the first post!!!

everybody thinks the next iPhone's going to be a huge step. half true, half false. next year Apple will expand the iPhone line, and finally separate iPhones: entry-level, main users (two sizes), and business users. And of course Apple must at least prepare for VR, but more likely release a VR product connected with iPhone. This way needs screen resolution improvement, and there must be a well comunicable change for every iPhone.

iPhone: Retina 2K, 4.7" 2048*1152, 500ppi, with Home button
iPhone Plus: Retina 2K, 5.3" 2304*1296, 500ppi, with Home button

a new individual category for comprehensive business use:
iPhone Pro: curved OLED Retina 4K, 5.8" 4096*2160, 800ppi, with no Home button, new design with no camera bump (but 0.3“ thick), extra features comming annually in the first three models (sapphire glass, IP68, real 4-core A11, 4 GB RAM, USB 3 speed, smart connector, no SIM card, split view, AirPlay Pro for desktop use, fast+wireless charging, all-day usage, stereo sound recording, four speakers, laser focus, 4K slo-mo, Bluetooth 5, 5G etc.), from 899 €

entry-level iPhone stays fancy but not the smartest one: similar construction, improved features (camera, processor, connections), new functions rarely.

in 2018 the Home button and SIM cards leave the iPhones forever and the new design and OLED screen both arrive to all iPhone already (except the entry-level one).

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Eliminating SIM card means this iPhone only works in United States.
No. This would not Happen any time soon.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Curved edge screen, 4 years after Samsung? Not that bothered as I wasn't with Live Photos last year, 3 years after I had it on my HTC

I would like them to get rid of the bezels and make the top and bottom smaller so that the plus models don't look like something from years ago. Amoled and at least a 2k screen. Screen off display, loved it on my MotoX years ago.

Wireless and fast(preferably VOOC) charging, it will be 2017 after all.

Curved back towards the sides to make it feel nicer to hold. Ticker to both incorporate a bigger battery and get rid of some of the battery hump. Waterproofing.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Come on guys, don't say 7S!
That would make next years iPhone the 4th year with the iPhone 6 design.
Surely they have enough money/talent to come up with something completely new.

zalchi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2016
Hungary
what else you expect in the next few years?

"curved OLED HDR Retina 4K, 5.8" 4096*2160, 800ppi, 1000 nit, new design with no Home button, Touch ID built into the screen, >75% screen-to-body ratio, >1 inch/oz. screen-to-weight ratio and no camera bump (but 0.3“ thick).

sapphire glass with transparent solar panel and ceramic back, new colour options, IP68, interoperable cores in a tri-cluster SoC, TFLOPS level GPU, 4-8 GB quad-channel LPDDR5 RAM, Bluetooth 5 includes wireless high-resolution audio, 5G (Gbps level), USB 3.1 speed, smart connector, no SIM card (multi eSIM/Apple SIM), split view, AirPlay Pro for desktop use, fast & long-range wireless charging, new battery technology: 2 days heavy use, stereo sound recording, four speakers, laser focus, HDR video recording, dual 6-axis OIS, 4K slo-mo, 360° sphere VR-panorama"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.