Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanm84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2022
I have a classmate who has an iPhone 8. She is blind and someone she knows tried to help her by putting some voice recognition software on her phone. Now the problem is is that the screen is black and will not do anything. I tried resetting the phone by hitting volume up volume down and then power, the apple logo appears the phone restarts and I can see the screen for maybe 2-3 seconds before it goes dark again. Does anyone have any tips on how I can help her out with this problem?

Seanm84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2022
Plug it into a Mac computer and reset it from there.

Don't have a Apple laptop to do it with is my problem. I'll have to see if I can figure out a way to use someone else's. There isn't any other way to reset without the use of a macbook?

Seanm84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2022
A Reset will wipe all data.
It can be done from a Windows PC too.

Yeah it doesn't matter she doesn't care about anything being wiped from the phone she just wants to be able to use it which she currently cannot. I'll have my laptop with me tomorrow when I see her again, hopefully I can just download iTunes myself and reset it for her. I looked it up and it doesn't seem too difficult a process.

Reactions: now i see it

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
This sounds like Screen Curtain. VoiceOver is popular in the blind community, and some use the Screen Curtain feature to turn off the display since they don't need it to operate their device. Maybe someone accidentally activated this.

Press the home button to make sure the phone is awake, then triple-tap the screen quickly with three fingers to turn the display back on. (If that doesn’t work, then tap four times quickly with three fingers.)

Seanm84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2022
This sounds like Screen Curtain. VoiceOver is popular in the blind community, and some use the Screen Curtain feature to turn off the display since they don't need it to operate their device. Maybe someone accidentally activated this.

Press the home button to make sure the phone is awake, then triple-tap the screen quickly with three fingers to turn the display back on. (If that doesn’t work, then tap four times quickly with three fingers.)

Bigblur, thank you very much! That's exactly what it was. I was able to get into her phone and help her out with that tip about tapping the phone with 3 fingers. Thanks again!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
That was definitely a screen curtain feature in accessibility. My friend who is also blind uses this feature as he doesnt really need the screen. He navigates everything with voice over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.