Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaLaPoP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
is anyone else experiencing green orbs on photos taken with the regular iPhone 8? It happens for me any time a light is shining near the camera. I came from an iPhone 6s and didn’t have this issue with that phone. Also Both camera have a halo effect around the edges of pictures/ videos and the front camera takes terrible video...my 6s was way better. I compared my camera to my sisters iPhone 8 camera and hers is the same...are they defective or is it just the way they are?

Attachments

• EE5C71A6-CCC7-4538-A136-EB0958D7A224.jpeg
    EE5C71A6-CCC7-4538-A136-EB0958D7A224.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 1,766

LaLaPoP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
That’s called lens flare. Any camera will have that when pointed directly at a light source.
Thank you for your reply. I’m aware of lens flare and the orbs appear even when the camera isn’t pointed directly at a light source.

LaLaPoP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
It’s normal, maybe you should research lens flare a little better. What do you expect to happen if you take a picture of a light?
As I said above it happens anytime theirs light around. The picture I uploaded was the best example I had to show what I’m describing. I also took a video walking down a street at night and the same orbs appear in the video and the camera was not pointed directly at any light
[doublepost=1511250968][/doublepost]
That’s not lens flare. It’s light reflecting off the lens structures inside.
Right, I just can’t remember experiencing this issue when I had my 6s

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
As I said above it happens anytime theirs light around. The picture I uploaded was the best example I had to show what I’m describing. I also took a video walking down a street at night and the same orbs appear in the video and the camera was not pointed directly at any light
I believe you, what im saying is my iPhone does it too and it’s a 6S..

mrvirginia

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
is anyone else experiencing green orbs on photos taken with the regular iPhone 8? It happens for me any time a light is shining near the camera. I came from an iPhone 6s and didn’t have this issue with that phone. Also Both camera have a halo effect around the edges of pictures/ videos and the front camera takes terrible video...my 6s was way better. I compared my camera to my sisters iPhone 8 camera and hers is the same...are they defective or is it just the way they are?

What app were you using to take front cam video with?
I noticed recently that when using the Marco Polo app in low light with the front cam that when motion is introduced, the video becomes pixelated on my 8 Plus. I took the exact same vid on my girlfriend's 6s and the video was clear with no pixelization. I then did a test with facebook messenger video and native camera app and no issues on the 8 Plus. This leads me to believe it's an issue with the Marco Polo app. If you're using a 3rd party app, it could be the app itself taking crap video. Seems unlikely it's a hardware issue if it's working normally in other apps, imo.

I've contacted Marco Polo to see what they have to say in regards to my personal issues with the front cam vid.

LaLaPoP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
What app were you using to take front cam video with?
I noticed recently that when using the Marco Polo app in low light with the front cam that when motion is introduced, the video becomes pixelated on my 8 Plus. I took the exact same vid on my girlfriend's 6s and the video was clear with no pixelization. I then did a test with facebook messenger video and native camera app and no issues on the 8 Plus. This leads me to believe it's an issue with the Marco Polo app. If you're using a 3rd party app, it could be the app itself taking crap video. Seems unlikely it's a hardware issue if it's working normally in other apps, imo.

I've contacted Marco Polo to see what they have to say in regards to my personal issues with the front cam vid.
I’m using the native camera app, my videos are pixelated as well even in well lit areas. I haven’t tried using a 3rd party app for front facing video just yet.
[doublepost=1512275113][/doublepost]
It is lens flare. Larger camera lenses are better at coping with this but the smartphone camera lenses are so small it is hard to stop. I have had all of my iPhone do similar.
Thanks, I’m seeing it happen on other phones as well. I guess it’s something I just have to get used to

Reactions: Newtons Apple

mrvirginia

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
I’m using the native camera app, my videos are pixelated as well even in well lit areas. I haven’t tried using a 3rd party app for front facing video just yet.
[doublepost=1512275113][/doublepost]
Thanks, I’m seeing it happen on other phones as well. I guess it’s something I just have to get used to
This sounds hardware related if it's native camera app and in well lit areas. Should be easy to take it in and show apple rep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.