Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I have some queries about getting creative with the iPhone camera (IP 8 on iOS 13.4)

1- How exactly does Auto HDR work? What are the steps involved?

2- There's an option beneath that "Keep normal photo." Is this one of the photos already taken in Auto HDR? Or, will enabling this mode make the camera take an extra photo over the one taken by Auto HDR?

3- Where can I find more technical information on the filters? e.g. do they correspond to films?

4- How does the "square" photo mode work? Is there any loss of quality using that?

5- What kind of post-processing can I do?

6- Do you find significant improvements shooting with dedicated apps instead of the default camera apps? Which do you recommend?

7- For video, what's the difference between 24, 30, and 60 fps? When should each be used? Or, does it make sense to just leave it on 60 all the time?

Thanks!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
1. AutoHDR works like “magic”, as iPhone tries to take multiple photos with different exposure setting, analyse those photos and combine them into one final photo using machine learning.

2. That option keeps the photo without HDR, so your iPhone will always save one extra photo that does not have HDR applied to it.

3. I don’t know where to find. But adding filter feels like adding a film to it imo.

4. I think this one just takes a normal photo and crop it as square afterwards before saving it to your Photo library.

5. You can export the photo and do all kinds of post processing using photoshop. But you cannot control how iPhone process the raw image from stock camera app.

6. I only use stock camera so I have no idea.

7. The higher frame rate the smoother video tends to be, but takes more storage space. For me personally 60fps is good enough.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Shirasaki is right about everything noted.

apple gives you the option of keeping a normally exposed picture along with the artificially enhanced HDR version so that you can choose the one that looks best to you. In my experience, its a 50/50 chance that the HDR version looks better.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
1. AutoHDR works like “magic”, as iPhone tries to take multiple photos with different exposure setting, analyse those photos and combine them into one final photo using machine learning.
That means if I have Auto HDR on, the phone is taking multiple shots even before I've pressed the shutter?
2. That option keeps the photo without HDR, so your iPhone will always save one extra photo that does not have HDR applied to it.
Let me get this right. The first photo it will take will be Auto HDR. This as you say is actually a few exposure that are merged.
And, after this it will take another photo, which it will save as a regular photo?
In effect, keeping Auto HDR on, and also having it save a normal photo, means the camera is taking two different photos? What effect does this have on the longevity of the sensor?
4. I think this one just takes a normal photo and crop it as square afterwards before saving it to your Photo library.
Oh. That means I am effectively getting less than 12 MP?
The pictures look fine but then I am then looking at smaller prints. Hmm...
5. You can export the photo and do all kinds of post processing using photoshop. But you cannot control how iPhone process the raw image from stock camera app.
Do you find a difference between how the iPhone processes it, and how a "proper" app like Lightroom on your computer processes it? Does the latter give more leeway in terms of how you can process the photo?
Also, what happens if I import an HDR photo into Lightroom or some other app?
6. I only use stock camera so I have no idea.
Is there a reason you've stayed away from dedicated apps (I've been reading good things about Halide, e.g.)
Perhaps because they may not allow for as fast an operation as the stock app?
7. The higher frame rate the smoother video tends to be, but takes more storage space. For me personally 60fps is good enough.
I see. So, for a more "natural" look it's advisable to stick to 24 fps?
How does using 4k over 1080p make a difference to all this?
Thanks!
[automerge]1595800212[/automerge]
Shirasaki is right about everything noted.

apple gives you the option of keeping a normally exposed picture along with the artificially enhanced HDR version so that you can choose the one that looks best to you. In my experience, its a 50/50 chance that the HDR version looks better.
Yes, I see that in the settings.
I still don't get if the phone will take two different photos, or just one (HDR)?
By keeping the "keep normal photo" option on, am I using the sensor twice over? That presumably will shorten its life.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
That means if I have Auto HDR on, the phone is taking multiple shots even before I've pressed the shutter?

Let me get this right. The first photo it will take will be Auto HDR. This as you say is actually a few exposure that are merged.
And, after this it will take another photo, which it will save as a regular photo?
In effect, keeping Auto HDR on, and also having it save a normal photo, means the camera is taking two different photos? What effect does this have on the longevity of the sensor?

Do you find a difference between how the iPhone processes it, and how a "proper" app like Lightroom on your computer processes it? Does the latter give more leeway in terms of how you can process the photo?

Is there a reason you've stayed away from dedicated apps (I've been reading good things about Halide, e.g.)

Thanks!

I still don't get if the phone will take two different photos, or just one (HDR)?
By keeping the "keep normal photo" option on, am I using the sensor twice over? That presumably will shorten its life.
No the sensor will not age by taking more pics.

the square photo still has same ppi. So quality is the same by printing

professional photo apps cost money but also give you much more options for postproduction. Layers, healing, drawing, Raw. Time you spend depends on what u wanna do. Multiple fotos can be processed by macros. Check youtube

Reactions: AMSOS

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
>>Nah. The Camera takes shots when you press the shutter, not before.

>>The camera takes the same photo, but have one post-processed as HDR. Tbh, your phone will die long before sensor gets killed by taking too many shots. Your sensor will not die out of taking shots, but dust, water, dirt etc.

>>Not so sure about this one cause I never use square. It looks like some stuff that Snapchat fanatics would love and I am not one of them.

>>Your iPhone process each photo you are taking every time using machine learning. The detail is confidential but various tests on YouTube shows Apple is doing a bit too much and photo does not even look like what’s happening in real world anymore.
Sure, post-processing using Photoshop etc. can give you more options and better control over your photos, but that’s based on assumption that the photo you take is RAW, meaning uncompressed and unedited by camera by any means. iOS camera app compress the photo and process it to make the final product looks appealing, but does not really give computer programs too much leeway to do anything. At the end of the day, the result you get is as good as the input you send in.

>>I am just lazy and yes, no system integration for third party apps for “obvious reasons”. For normal use of just showing people what I see, there is no need for a professional camera app. And certainly I do not expect iPhone camera can even remotely compete with high end DSLR or something similar. Professional photo taking needs professional cameras. If you use iPhone to take amazing shots, then the photo quality itself is certainly not the priority.

Thanks!
>>Human eyes needs at least 24fps to be considered “watching a video”, while 30 and 60 FPS provides smoother experience. I’d say unless your iPhone is 64GB or 128GB, stick with 60fps. The video would be super smooth.

>>Again, your iPhone will likely die long before your camera sensor wear out by taking too many photos. They do not degrade much, unlike SSD NAND flash. Do keep camera sensor out of water, dust, dirt etc. though, cause those WILL kill camera sensor really fast.
Please check in-line comments.

Reactions: AMSOS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.