Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I'm upgrading my iPhone 5 to the IPhone 8 & I am basically making my decision on the color selection choice of the phone (not on the colors on the back of the phone) but primarily on the bezels framing the front of the phone.

Unfortunately, I am unable to go to an Apple Store & would appreciate any feedback as to which color ( the black or the white bezel) is best when viewing text & e-mail messages & reading digital magazines/ newspapers on the web as that is what I'm primarily using the phone for.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi,

I'm upgrading my iPhone 5 to the IPhone 8 & I am basically making my decision on the color selection choice of the phone (not on the colors on the back of the phone) but primarily on the bezels framing the front of the phone.

Unfortunately, I am unable to go to an Apple Store & would appreciate any feedback as to which color ( the black or the white bezel) is best when viewing text & e-mail messages & reading digital magazines/ newspapers on the web as that is what I'm primarily using the phone for.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would say the black bezel is the best, as its more uniform with the display. The white bezel can be more distracting when you're trying to read, where the black bezel blends more naturally in a darker environment as well.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The one that is best is the one you prefer. The screen is exactly the same.

Thanks for your reply! The reason I posted this question is that I have some vision issues (that causes glare & sensitivity) & I read that the white bezel frame is more suited for doing reading online, so that's why I wanted some feedback from you guys.

Reactions: 44267547

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Thanks for your reply! The reason I posted this question is that I have some vision issues (that causes glare & sensitivity) & I read that the white bezel frame is more suited for doing reading online, so that's why I wanted some feedback from you guys.
There is barely a bezel anyway but as you have vision issues then only you will know what makes it comfortable for you. I’ve had iPhones since their original release and each year I swap. I can’t see any difference between them.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Its a shame that an Apple store is not convenient, as seeing the colors in person is the only way to really appreciate them and determine if you like them or not.

That said, my vote is for Silver.

Based on everything I'd seen online, including all the photos on the Apple website, I thought I'd like the Space Gray the best. It is essentially what I have on all my other Apple iOS devices. But it turns out that Apple, in spite of their many other talents, is really lousy at naming colors. When I got to the Apple store to look at them in person, it turns out that "Silver" isn't really silver at all. It is more of a "pearl white" or "off white" in my opinion. And, it has a rich and beautiful high-quality look it. I decided to get it and really like it.

I understand you are concerned mainly with the bezels, but it would be really great if you could see both the "silver" and the space gray before you made a decision.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Its a shame that an Apple store is not convenient, as seeing the colors in person is the only way to really appreciate them and determine if you like them or not.

That said, my vote is for Silver.

Based on everything I'd seen online, including all the photos on the Apple website, I thought I'd like the Space Gray the best. It is essentially what I have on all my other Apple iOS devices. But it turns out that Apple, in spite of their many other talents, is really lousy at naming colors. When I got to the Apple store to look at them in person, it turns out that "Silver" isn't really silver at all. It is more of a "pearl white" or "off white" in my opinion. And, it has a rich and beautiful high-quality look it. I decided to get it and really like it.

I understand you are concerned mainly with the bezels, but it would be really great if you could see both the "silver" and the space gray before you made a decision.

I agree. This year's colors are not well named. Gold is almost copper. Space Gray is almost matte black. The silver is as you describe it, and to me looks surprisingly nice compared to prior years.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
I would have bought the black one,if it wasnt for swapping phones. Got the gold one with the swap and loving it,even tho i would have chosen the black obe if i could choose.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I vote space grey but I won’t own one with the white front. I have the space grey iPhone X and I absolutely love it...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I agree. This year's colors are not well named. Gold is almost copper. Space Gray is almost matte black. The silver is as you describe it, and to me looks surprisingly nice compared to prior years.

Apple has always had inconsistencies with their naming for different devices throughout their productline. Space Gray is the most subjective color they have that has changed so many shades over the course of multiple products. For example, the Space gray Apple Watch looks nothing like the space gray iPhone 6s, which completely differs from the Space gray iPod Touch.

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
The bezel on a phone is so small I don't think it would make a big difference. If you were looking for an iPad I would say white as it would be like reading a paper book.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I go back and forth. I used two iPads, an iPhone and an iPod Touch every day. One iPad and the iPod have white bezels, the other iPad and the iPhone have black bezels. The bezels really don't affect my use experience much, but that's obviously one person's view. The only bezels that ever made me a little crazy were the huge silver bezels on the MacBook Air, which I found very distracting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.