Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laserfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
I'm on Spectrum Mobile which uses Verizon towers, and it seems that whenever I lose signal ("No Service" or "SOS Only" when I RETURN TO A STRONG SIGNAL AREA the phone does not always re-connect. I have to go to Airplane mode and then back again and then signal is regained and I get e.g. 3 or 4 bars.

Right now I'm in a weak signal area showing zero bars. If I switch to Airplane mode and back then two bars appear.

I have Wi-Fi Calling switched ON all-the-time and this enables me to use the phone, but e.g. when on a road trip I might go out of range and then return but the iPhone doesn't "awaken" to the strong signal which is a huge annoyance. Further, I noticed just today that my Battery Settings display shows that most of my batter is used by "No Cell Coverage"!

1. Any ideas about why the phone doesn't auto-reconnect to a tower when strong signal appears?

2. Why does the phone even bother searching for Cell when I'm using Wi-Fi Calling?

laserfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Thanks well it's only been a few months, but I am gonna try two things: first, to insert the SIM into an SE that I have, and second to replace it to my iPhone 8 after making certain contacts are clean...

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
My 12 pro did that yesterday when at the hospital. My wife’s 14 pro never lost signal. I didn’t realize what happened until I went into the parking lot and still had no signal. After scrolling through settings I decided to toggle airplane mode on and off and that brought back service. I just found this post and also am curious as to why this happened.

laserfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Hi Thirio2. First hospitals have for me always been "no signal" zones what with all the electronics.

But I believe that my problem (from over a year ago now) turned-out to be of all things a weak battery. Since I had the battery replaced, the phone has not been doing the "won't reconnect" thing any more.

It doesn't make logical sense to me that it would behave this way, but then again Apple has some mysterious algorithms in re: the battery power, and of course "searching on cell towers/signals" eats battery, maybe more than any other function.

Look at your battery's Health & Charging in Settings and see if maybe your capacity is degraded. Look also at "Battery Usage by App". In my case I was seeing "No cell coverage" or some such as a primary consumer of batt.

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
Thanks for the reply. I just checked my battery health and it was down to 80%. Maybe that explains it. I didn’t expect it to be that low after only 3 years. I had been playing Word Trip waiting for them to take my wife to surgery but still had plenty of battery I thought. Thankfully toggling airplane mode on and off fixed the problem. I may have to start thinking about a new phone soon.

laserfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I just checked my battery health and it was down to 80%. Maybe that explains it. I didn’t expect it to be that low after only 3 years. I had been playing Word Trip waiting for them to take my wife to surgery but still had plenty of battery I thought. Thankfully toggling airplane mode on and off fixed the problem. I may have to start thinking about a new phone soon.
Mine was showing the very same 80% which I'd thought should be just fine.

Keep watching your battery usage for anomalies. Consider spending $ on having the battery replaced vs. a new phone. Mine cost $90 bucks I think at a local IFIXIT.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The iPhone 8 phones have an Intel modem which gave some people problems in the past. Newer phones and older ones have a Qualcomm modem which has proven to be more reliable.
I don’t know if your disconnect issue is due to having an Intel modem - but it’s something to consider.
My iPhone 8 hasn’t given me any connection problems.

Reactions: laserfan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.