Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jumpinbeans

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Does anyone know how to reset or recalibrate the barometer in an iPhone 8? Mine drives me nuts as when I’m out with my Apple Watch 5 using just the watch to track my walks it works fine with Bluetooth off but enable it (as you can see part way through my walk below) it shifts the gps and barometer load to the phone and the elevation fluctuates massively even on a flat straight road. I am forced to either leave the phone behind or turn off Bluetooth if I want to accurately track my walks.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to fix/repair/recalibrate or should I just wait till the phone eventually packs in and get a new one.

A776F059-536A-4DA7-8AE6-3BBAF63BA5F0.jpeg

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
On my iPhone7 the elevation of my home varies as much as 150ft either way from published figures. I’m guessing this is a function of the GPS, which is notoriously flaky for elevation results. For walking, I can’t imagine this would be useful for anything but gross approximations even with the best equipment. Others here might provide more enlightened information but from what I’ve seen, it’s a pretty rough estimate of altitude.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.