Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I've been curious to try a plus sized iPhone since the 6+, but wasn't sure how pocket friendly it would be. After trying the X for two weeks and went back to a regular 7, I was still interested in trying something different. Came across the Target deal on the 8+ I finally caved. I'm a week into it and so far I am quite pleased with it, as long as I accept that it's a two hand device. One thing that I am in love with is the battery life. Under my normal usage pattern, the absolute most I've ever seen on my iP7 was 8-9 hours. During the two weeks of using the X, it didn't fare much better.

So yesterday I had a full day of semi-heavy usage (for me), which included nearly two hours of camera usage recording my kid's school concert, flipping between the stock and 645Pro camera apps. Today I left the house with just 40% battery as a test. After a day of normal usage I have nearly 19 hours of use and with 17% battery left. Wow.

So I'm the oddball around here to be happy downgrading from the iPhone X to the 8+.

8+.JPG

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
Wow! That’s a lot better than my 6s+.. I might be able to get 6 hrs of usage and about 24-30 hrs of standby maybe.. I also have the 645pro app!

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I am thrilled at the battery life of my 8 Plus as well, coming from the 6 Plus it was like night and day. As for it being a two handed device I don't ever even think about that anymore, I think it's likely because I position my most used apps on the bottom row and it's rare I ever have to use a second hand. I even turned off the reachability feature because it mostly gets in the way.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Shut up. I hate you all. :p I have the X and I came from a 7Plus. It’s a bit of getting used to: this reduced battery life compared to what I was used to getting with my 7Plus before iOS 11 wrecked my incredible battery life. I am happier in the smaller form factor but getting an 8 Plus was a very near thing and once in awhile I still get a bit of envy for the road not taken, mostly over the battery life.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I’m coming from an s8+ that probably got better battery life during use, but standby more than negates that. I’m extremely pleased. This battery is 500-1000mah short of being the best EVER for any phone. They nailed the standby, the size is just lacking for a phone this large.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
7+ I was able to get a day and a half, 8+ I get about a day and a quarter, was a bit disappointed I lost some battery life, but im still impressed. Still much better than the 6+ where it struggled to get through a day.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am thrilled at the battery life of my 8 Plus as well, coming from the 6 Plus it was like night and day. As for it being a two handed device I don't ever even think about that anymore, I think it's likely because I position my most used apps on the bottom row and it's rare I ever have to use a second hand. I even turned off the reachability feature because it mostly gets in the way.

What's interesting, is Apple is able to improve the battery life every single year with the iPhone, especially the Plus size. With the management of a more efficient processor/Co-Processor, display tweaks, etc. Aside from all of that, they actually use quality batteries in their iPhones and that's a big part of it.

Reactions: ericgtr12

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Wow! That’s a lot better than my 6s+.. I might be able to get 6 hrs of usage and about 24-30 hrs of standby maybe.. I also have the 645pro app!
After being a camera nut for years, I really enjoy the simplicity of the phone camera app since the quality became a bit more than better than nothing. What shocked me soon after I bought the 8+ was Apple's sneaky way of using digital zoom when lighting conditions fall below what it deems acceptable. I discovered this when I covered the telephoto lens and saw that I can still see an image. This was why I used 645Pro during the concert, to force the use of the telephoto camera. The 645Pro's UI is quite a bit of a cluttered mess. I would've preferred to use the stock camera app if I could've force it not to use digital zoom from the wide lens.

Shut up. I hate you all. :p I have the X and I came from a 7Plus. It’s a bit of getting used to: this reduced battery life compared to what I was used to getting with my 7Plus before iOS 11 wrecked my incredible battery life. I am happier in the smaller form factor but getting an 8 Plus was a very near thing and once in awhile I still get a bit of envy for the road not taken, mostly over the battery life.
Same of all of you rocking the much slimmer X :p But I can deal with the bigger footprint better than missing the home button and touch ID.

Reactions: 5105973

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I am sure the battery life is great on the 8 Plus, but it really only comes down to if my phone lasts a full day for me. I put my X down on the charger at night with about 30% left typically so I don’t see any advantage to jumping to the Plus for battery life. Battery life for me is really a non issue, but I can see why it’s important to people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.