Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Question. I’m on TMobile.
My son has an iPhone 8 and I have a Xs. Both are on my plan. I’m going to give him my Xs iphone and I want to trade in his phone to Apple to get the new 11 pro. So I want to know if we can make my Xs have his number and his iPhone 8 have my phone#. Can we just swap out sims or is there something else to this? Both phones are on the iphone upgrade program. The 8 is paid off in full already.

roxysdad

macrumors member
May 19, 2005
Yes, just switch the SIM cards. Make sure both are on the same OS version, do an iCloud backup of both of them, sign out of iCloud on each phone, then do a full reset on both phones. Switch the SIM cards, and then do a restore of the iCloud backup. Turn in the 8 when you get the new 11 Pro.

That should work, give or take, or someone will chime in here and set me straight. But I do this all the time with teenagers and their phones, and trade ins, hand-me-downs.

Reactions: anarche and michial

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Yes, just switch the SIM cards. Make sure both are on the same OS version, do an iCloud backup of both of them, sign out of iCloud on each phone, then do a full reset on both phones. Switch the SIM cards, and then do a restore of the iCloud backup. Turn in the 8 when you get the new 11 Pro.

That should work, give or take, or someone will chime in here and set me straight. But I do this all the time with teenagers and their phones, and trade ins, hand-me-downs.

Thanks. I was worried thinking when I give them the iPhone 8 it would still have my son’s info registered on their end even though my sim was in it.

Do I need to keep my sim or give it to Apple with the iphone 8?

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.