Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomstone74

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2021
Hi there,

my ancient iPhone 8 still works, a bit of degraded battery, but didn't receive iOS 17 anymore, thus also can't upgrade my still supported AW6 to watchOS 10. But as the iPhone 15 also got things like USB-C etc ... thought it's time for a decent upgrade :).

I treat myself as a fairly average phone user with a bit of usual daily stuff, no gaming etc. But as I'm super happy with my other Pro devices, like the iPad 11 Pro (M1) and MBP 14" M1 Pro, I thought I want to spend even more money for the next iPhone, going Pro there as well. The MAX is to big for me as a daily driver, thus the normal Pro it will be. Especially curious looking forward to the upgrade from the iPhone 8 in terms of the camera system, as a daily snapshot camera driver. 👍

I'm a bit on the fence though in terms of 256G or 512G as it should last me (at least this is my idea) for many years, thus wouldn't mind spending some extra euros, but on the other side could also go with AC+ with the money I guess.

Anybody here who went with the 256G and regret it not going to 512G after some weeks/months? Especially having the camera system with photos and videos in mind, how largish are typical 48MP shots (Non-RAW vs. RAW)? Similar for videos? Any regrets not going to 512G? I tend to have my photos / videos locally and not in iCloud. I'm on a 200G family plan there, but mainly for backup purposes, thus I intend to stick with storing locally resp. moving them to my MBP 14" with 2TB storage for editing resp. on my NAS, thus also the USB-C with Pro speed. :)

Any thoughts, a bit of discussion is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Is your iPhone 8 jampacked with data or you still have storage left, that should give a good idea of your storage needs.
I went with the 256gb 13pro and I do copy over a good bit of gopro movies and fill it up fairly quick.
But I have my iPad 2TB that I started to use more since it has the space and for editing.

Since it seems like you don't swap devices every year then I'd say if you can afford it and get the 512B version :)

Ahiqar

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Fox Cities, WI
I have a 15 pro 256. I currently have 2700 photos and almost 700 videos, mostly shorter family vids of the kids. I still have 140 gb free. I keep the photos and videos in original quality (not optimized storage).

Reactions: Reverend Benny

rich32gb5s

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Berkshire
I first jumped to 512Gb when I upgraded to my iphone 13 pro in part because it was a good deal @512gb but also thinking I would have the option to keep it for longer (future proof). Well that didnt last long! Just upgraded to a 512gb 15 pro! 😆

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I would say go for 512GB given that you save media locally.

I to save a lot of my media (pics, vids, music and podcasts) locally and 512GB has really helped in terms of not needing to worry about storage usage.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Hi there,

my ancient iPhone 8 still works, a bit of degraded battery, but didn't receive iOS 17 anymore, thus also can't upgrade my still supported AW6 to watchOS 10. But as the iPhone 15 also got things like USB-C etc ... thought it's time for a decent upgrade :).

I treat myself as a fairly average phone user with a bit of usual daily stuff, no gaming etc. But as I'm super happy with my other Pro devices, like the iPad 11 Pro (M1) and MBP 14" M1 Pro, I thought I want to spend even more money for the next iPhone, going Pro there as well. The MAX is to big for me as a daily driver, thus the normal Pro it will be. Especially curious looking forward to the upgrade from the iPhone 8 in terms of the camera system, as a daily snapshot camera driver.

I'm a bit on the fence though in terms of 256G or 512G as it should last me (at least this is my idea) for many years, thus wouldn't mind spending some extra euros, but on the other side could also go with AC+ with the money I guess.

Anybody here who went with the 256G and regret it not going to 512G after some weeks/months? Especially having the camera system with photos and videos in mind, how largish are typical 48MP shots (Non-RAW vs. RAW)? Similar for videos? Any regrets not going to 512G? I tend to have my photos / videos locally and not in iCloud. I'm on a 200G family plan there, but mainly for backup purposes, thus I intend to stick with storing locally resp. moving them to my MBP 14" with 2TB storage for editing resp. on my NAS, thus also the USB-C with Pro speed. :)

Any thoughts, a bit of discussion is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think the solution lies within your question - you should get the 512GB to future proof it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.