Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
In terms of price, the regular 8, imo yes. It’s quite a saving over the base XR, unlike the 8+. I would heartily recommend the regular 8 for those looking to save money over the XR.

But if we talk in terms of spec, the 8 is the last iPhone with 2GB if RAM. Knowing the track record of Apple, RAM can become a huge bottleneck moving forward. I have a feeling that with iOS 13 forward, iOS might not be too kind to devices with less than 3GB of RAM. We already see that even the base iPad mini 5 comes with 3GB of RAM. I’m sure the 8 will still survive till iOS 14 or so, but I have a feeling any newer iOS will push the RAM requirement up for smooth experience.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I think it absolutely is if you’re the kind of person that doesn't need the latest and greatest or you prefer the design and Touch ID to Face ID. The A11 is such a beast of a chip and the A12 is only slightly faster, speed that apps probably won’t be taking advantage of for a few years yet.

My only concern would be battery, I’d get a portable charger or battery case if you use the phone more than light to moderate amounts.

Reactions: Locke Cole

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think it absolutely is if you’re the kind of person that doesn't need the latest and greatest or you prefer the design and Touch ID to Face ID. The A11 is such a beast of a chip and the A12 is only slightly faster, speed that apps probably won’t be taking advantage of for a few years yet.

My only concern would be battery, I’d get a portable charger or battery case if you use the phone more than light to moderate amounts.
I've found the battery life on my 8 to be excellent, and much better than then 6s that I upgraded from. I charge it nightly and most days I still have 60-70% remaining when it goes on the charger. Then again I'm probably in the light to moderate usage category using mine mainly for emails and checking my calendar on the go (I use my laptop at the office), phone calls, text messages and music via bluetooth in the car and occasionally looking things up... I rarely use it for playing games, watching videos or general web surfing (that's what the iPad is for).

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
I just got an 8 back in early February and I love it. Can use it with one hand. I need a work phone so i am in a dilemma of whether to get an 8+ or the XR. But for my regular phone, the 8 has been excellent.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think with the way most iPhones run so well and get long update cycles i think yes any older iPhone is still worth it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The biggest differential with the A12 versus the A11 isn’t really even the Speed, the A12 can utilize 60 FPS for gaming and it has smart HDR for the camera, depending on the users preferences, those can be significant upgrades.

Reactions: Devyn89

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
I got an 8 back in January (upgraded from 6s) and am very happy with it. I used to upgrade every year to the newest model until 6s.

Here is why I chose the 8:
Size
Price (only €670 here in France)
3D Touch
A11 Is very fast
Touch ID

Why I didn’t go with the XR:
Price (XR is ridiculously-priced in EU)
No 3D Touch on XR
HUGE size
Face ID (I don’t feel comfortable with the idea)

I did not consider Xs models as, to me, you’ve got to be insane to pay €1150+ for a phone.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
The phone that worths is the one that:

A: meet your needs
B: you can pay
C: makes you happy
Yep.

I bought an Xs. Though I’m fine with Face ID, I liked Touch ID. Get what you want. My wife still likes her 7 so I replaced the battery in December.

I don’t understand the big difference between the 7 and 8, however, other than wireless charging and the bio chip. If you don’t need those, you can save some coin and buy a 7 — same form factor and basic features. Apple has surplus 7 and 7+ in the refurb store and some carriers still have them.
https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/refurbished/iphone

I’m not saying you should buy the 7 over the 8. Get what you want. They’re both excellent. It’s going to be 2021 till we see 5G on an iPhone when we all get to make new decisions.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
If you buy one used, absolutely, I got an 8 at launch and still use it. Plenty fast still, Touch ID and no notch. I regret not getting the 256 though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t understand the big difference between the 7 and 8, however, other than wireless charging and the bio chip.

That’s because there’s not really that big of a difference between iPhone 7 and iPhone 8, there really wasn’t meant to be a significant difference. The iPhone 7 was a larger leap over the 6s with the water resistance rating, stereo speakers and dual camera for the Plus model. One other thing you missed the iPhone 8 includes is True Tone.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
I don't think its worth it. Probably the regular iPhone 8 will be phased out (wont get supported newer iOS) in 2021 together with iPhone 7 series, as there are no differences between the specs, and clock speed. Both are 2GB Ram anyway, and i think that iPhone 7 Plus will live longer than iPhone 8 though, since it has 3GB Ram just like the iPhone XR and iPhone 8 Plus.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Still a very capable phone. However, especially because you consider the non-plus, i'd say you are better off with the iPhone 11.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Yep.

I bought an Xs. Though I’m fine with Face ID, I liked Touch ID. Get what you want. My wife still likes her 7 so I replaced the battery in December.

I don’t understand the big difference between the 7 and 8, however, other than wireless charging and the bio chip. If you don’t need those, you can save some coin and buy a 7 — same form factor and basic features. Apple has surplus 7 and 7+ in the refurb store and some carriers still have them.
https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/refurbished/iphone

I’m not saying you should buy the 7 over the 8. Get what you want. They’re both excellent. It’s going to be 2021 till we see 5G on an iPhone when we all get to make new decisions.

The 8 (Plus) is more worth it for those that like the classic Design and use a 6 or 6s. The 8 is nothing more but a 7s.

New features include:

Way faster A11 chip
Improved Stereo Speakers
True Tone Display
Better Camera Quality
Portrait Lightning (Plus Model)
Auto HDR
Slow Sync Flash
4K 60 FPS video
1080p 240 FPS slo-mo
Bluetooth 5.0
Wireless Charging & Fast Charging

talkin73

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2008
Depends on the price. But you're better off grabbing an XR instead.

Big size difference. OP may not care but I find many people are comfortable with a particular size in hand. The 8 is smaller than anything released in several years, and that size/weight difference is significant to some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.