Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Everybody know that ....

and 9-10-11-12 are same too :D

but 1 things not same =

old and new

people love something new just like car
same model same speed same color but new car and people still want it

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
I upgraded from a 6s+ to a 8+ and sure, it's just an evolution of the same phone but the UX is better because it's faster, because of the battery life and also the 256Gb. Is it the same form factor? An upgraded version of the previous version(s) with the usual over powered upgrades to the cpu? Yes. Does it do everything I need it to do? Yes. Then my money is well spent. Unless I need to hold something that is a mixture of cosmetic changes along with some brand new tech. My Twitter feed or blogging via Squarespace is going to be the same thing for me, be it on a 8 or had I gone for an X.

Steve is right but it doesn't necessarily matter. Had I bought an X this year it would simply have been because it's the latest version and not because I particularly required OLED. This time next year, I'll make the jump if the X comes in a Plus sized version. I think the choice is still great and what Apple have done is a requirement for them to step up to another level again. But let's not pretend that smartphone and the desire for massive changes hasn't peaked. It's slowly going to come down to what it looks like not what it can do. If it hasn't already.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I upgraded from a 6s+ to a 8+ and sure, it's just an evolution of the same phone but the UX is better because it's faster, because of the battery life and also the 256Gb. Is it the same form factor? An upgraded version of the previous version(s) with the usual over powered upgrades to the cpu? Yes. Does it do everything I need it to do? Yes. Then my money is well spent. Unless I need to hold something that is a mixture of cosmetic changes along with some brand new tech. My Twitter feed or blogging via Squarespace is going to be the same thing for me, be it on a 8 or had I gone for an X.

Steve is right but it doesn't necessarily matter. Had I bought an X this year it would simply have been because it's the latest version and not because I particularly required OLED. This time next year, I'll make the jump if the X comes in a Plus sized version. I think the choice is still great and what Apple have done is a requirement for them to step up to another level again. But let's not pretend that smartphone and the desire for massive changes hasn't peaked. It's slowly going to come down to what it looks like not what it can do. If it hasn't already.

Hear, hear! ;):D very well said.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…but the UX is better because it's faster…
Are you saying it comes down to iOS 11? Or are you saying the UX is better because iOS 11 is running on your 8+?

If it's just iOS 11 and you feel it's just an evolution of the same phone, would not running iOS 11 on your old 6s+ have the same effect?

I'm guessing though that you mean it's better because of the phone and iOS 11 even though the 8+ is just an evolution of the same phone.

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
Ultimately, if the X sells very well, Apple can claim that 8 didn't do well because of X.

If that is not the case, it will be clear that people don't want to pay more..... for more of the same!

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
My hope is that this is the last year of the form factor found in the iPhone 8 and 8+. They look outdated and bulky when compared to the X. Hopefully Apple will put all of their energy towards focusing on the new form factor.

montanaco

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2016
Have to agree with him on the 5C comment, love that phone.

But disagree about the X, I think its enticing. Maybe not enticing as a tesla, but hey I'm still really excited for it.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Are you saying it comes down to iOS 11? Or are you saying the UX is better because iOS 11 is running on your 8+?

If it's just iOS 11 and you feel it's just an evolution of the same phone, would not running iOS 11 on your old 6s+ have the same effect?

I'm guessing though that you mean it's better because of the phone and iOS 11 even though the 8+ is just an evolution of the same phone.

Yeah, sorry, that wasn't clear. Because everything is faster, camera tech improved and so on. It's incremental and I guess for me, I only upgrade every 2 years so I feel the difference even more. Although if I do opt for an X+ next year (if it happens) it will be interesting to see how much of a leap it feels in comparison to what I've just done upgrading to an 8+.

Reactions: eyoungren

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
So if the 8 is the same as the 6 and 7, but the 8 also has the same internals as the X, does that mean that the X is just an iPhone 6??

Reactions: ABC5S

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've felt this way all along, 6 to 8 each has just minor improvements. That doesn't make them bad phones, just that there's less reason to upgrade as quickly.

Since I'm on the SE, I think 7 or 8 would make a nice jump up, though I'm not looking to buy the 7 or 8

Reactions: arefbe

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
not sure why they even came out with the 8. Perhaps to entice people to spend more and get the x.
If the strength of ios plays a major role in dissuading people from switching, why not sell a few more million 8s at a higher margin (literally no development cost for 8) ?
[doublepost=1509379960][/doublepost]
That doesn't make them bad phones, just that there's less reason to upgrade as quickly
Hmm.. Most users would upgrade every two years (or less) due to expiration of contract or battery woes or boredom - there is regular sales to be had, no doubt about that...

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I mean, he's not wrong. The 6, 7, and 8 all share the same form factor, overall dimensions, screen size, screen resolution, and can all run practically the same operating system. From a user experience standpoint they are the same phone for day to day use. That's also the reason I haven't upgraded my iPhone since the 6 Plus. I can see where he's coming from regarding the X, but I will be getting that on launch day simply because I made the mistake of getting a 16GB iPhone last time, plus I really like how it looks.

Reactions: rgarjr and balaplus

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hmm.. Most users would upgrade every two years (or less) due to expiration of contract or battery woes or boredom - there is regular sales to be had, no doubt about that...
I don't know about that anymore.

I'm not disagreeing, but we see so many people here upgrading annually. The very successful IUP program by apple which gives people the ability to update annually, and many carriers have a similar program.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Everything is fundamentally the same now. Whether I have a 6, an X, or a Samsung. I'm surfing the same sites, listening to the same music, and making the same calls. Everyone is looking too hard for differentiation. We're talking about very small degrees of change.

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
Amazing isn't it? Planet's most valuable companies are all tech (apple, Amazon, alphabet..). Not pharma, not energy or FMCG..
Happy to pay to dollar but is it that unreasonable to demand innovation consistently?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.