Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jb244661

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
Hello Community,

My basic question is has anyone had a similar experience to mine (see below) and what did they do about it.

I have been an Iphone owner since 2010 when the Iphone 4 was released. I have loved apple products ever since. After today however, I may NEVER buy and apple product again. My wife's Iphone 8 was purchased 10/2017 and over the last month or so, we had noticed some power issues. The phone would go from 100% to 20% then when plugged in it would be fully charged in a matter of minutes. It sounded like the battery was having issues which apparently is a common issue. I was aware of Apple's battery replacement program for $29 so I figured that we would fix her phone by replacing the battery. Unfortunately, her phone completely stopped charging on 11/9/2018. Again, I did not think too much of it. Iphone charging issues and battery issues seem to be common place and I figured with some basic troubleshooting I could fix it. I WAS WRONG. The phone would not wirelessly charge nor would it charge when plugged in.

I then set up an appointment for her phone to have the battery replaced through the Apple Store. The gentleman I spoke with (Shawn) ran some tests and he stated that the phone was not getting power and typically a battery replacement would not work but he wanted to try anyway. At this point I thought something seemed off since he knew that whatever my problem was a battery replacement would not work but I trusted he knew what he was doing. So, I wait an hour and a half with my wife and daughter until the replacement was done. I get back to the store and speak to a woman named Michelle. Michelle said that the battery was not the problem but that she was willing to replace my phone for the cost of the battery replacement ($29). I found this extremely odd for a few reasons:

1. My Iphone warranty was expired by a month (purchased 10/2017 and problem found 11/2018).

2. They were offering a brand new replacement for only $29.

3. Michelle was very vague on the details of what was wrong with my wife's phone.

I pressed her with questions because none of this made any sense. I asked her what the problem was and why it could not be fixed. Michelle said they believed it may be an issue with the LOGIC BOARD. I asked her if she has ever seen this problem before. She said it was very rare but that is why we could get the phone replaced for only $29. When I asked if I could have written documentation of the problem or email she said no we could not have the technicians notes. It seemed like Michelle said we can attempt to retrieve the data on our own and she will hold the new phone for 1 month. When I asked how will I show them proof of the problem when I come back she said it will be "in the system." Michelle seemed to know something that I didn't but she was very vague with answering my questions. I told Michelle the data is very important to us and we will try to retrieve it and then come back. At this point, I felt something was very off so I started to research on my own what the issues were with the "LOGIC BOARD."

After some digging on the web, the truth came out... some Iphone 8's had defective LOGIC BOARDS. Not only that, there was a FREE REPLACEMENT PROGRAM for defective devices. Michelle NEVER mentioned this was a KNOWN Iphone 8 issue and NEVER mentioned there was a FREE REPLACEMENT PROGRAM. Not only that, this program had a 3 year from purchase expiration date. It all made sense. I was extremely frustrated because Apple CLEARLY kept this defect quiet. I am constantly updated on current apple news and I had never heard of it. After reading a few articles, they even said Apple started a replacement program but were trying to keep it quiet. So, not only did Apple not contact people directly who were affected, but they then try to keep it hush hush to save money. If I knew there was a problem, I could have fixed it before the problem became irreversible.

This may cost me pictures and video of my first born that I will never get back. I'm so frustrated and angry Apple would keep such a thing hidden (or at least quiet). Then the icing on the cake is that the Apple store tried to TAKE ADVANTAGE of the fact I knew nothing about the FREE REPLACEMENT PROGRAM by charging me $29 to replace the phone. What a dishonest thing to do. I think this may be the final straw with Apple. I can't stand a business who intentionally tries to scam their customers. I will be switching to another phone when this is all settled.

I am asking for help from anyone who may have had a similar issue and any advice moving forward. Does anyone know a company who can retrieve data off a phone with logic board issues?

Thank you all in advance.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Sorry for your issues but, if you feel you have been mistreated, contact Apple customer support and voice your issues with them. I’m sure they would replace the phone for free but your data is something that could be lost due to the fact it sounds like you didn’t backup your phones data regularly. If you did, you wouldn’t lose anything.. Data backup is critical and failure to do so results in losing irreplaceable memories and other important data.. Seems like replacement of the phone is the easy part. As far as keeping it secret, it was mentioned on the main page of this forum as soon as it was announced by Apple as well as other tech forums and was all over my Apple news feed... Anything can happen to your phone at anytime including not being able to retrieve your photos and data. That’s what iCloud is for as well as iTunes. Having iCloud photos enabled as well as backups on iCloud (over wifi) and iTunes makes losing anything very unlikely..

Last edited:
Reactions: bhodinut

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You should have been backing up your device continuously.

There probably are companies that may be able to retrieve your data but is could/would cost more than you want to pay.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201557

Backups are important, not just at the first hint of trouble, but as a matter of daily routine.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone-8-logic-board-replacement-program/

If your serial number (You can enter it above) is part of the program, you shouldn't have to pay the $29 and I'm sure Apple will take care of you.

If not, then Apple is doing you a big favor offering to replace the device for only $29 out of warranty. I'm not sure any other hardware manufacturer would offer you that.

Sorry if you lost data, and I hope you get it all worked out. But good backups are important whether the device goes bad, is dropped, stolen etc. Good luck with everything.

jb244661

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions. This thread was mostly just out of frustration. I normally back up monthly but it was just the perfect store of issues with my computer breaking and not ordering a new one yet (I manually back up because I don't pay apple for the extra icloud storage). I am going to attempt to use a recovery company.

My frustration was the apple genius never mentioned the program and that it is free. Yes my device falls in the category. I also recognize losing the data is on me it just adds to the frustration. I also think apple should have emailed people whose devices were effected. In the end, I'm going to request they wave the $29 and if not then Ill just pay for it and move on.

Thanks for the responses. I was just looking to rant. And I did post it to apple discussion boards but they removed it...

Reactions: dotme and BugeyeSTI

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Did you iPhone 8 have any physical damage, dents, or cracks?

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
As far as the data if it’s not backed up it does not exist. Device rule 101.

From iCloud to Drop Box to Google Services there’s no excuse not be backed up.
Especially with iCloud when it’s just plug and play backup.

jb244661

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
As far as the data if it’s not backed up it does not exist. Device rule 101.

From iCloud to Drop Box to Google Services there’s no excuse not be backed up.
Especially with iCloud when it’s just plug and play backup.

I agree the data loss is on me. It just added to the frustration. My quarrel with Apple is they could have personally notified affected devices and they did not. Then when I went to the Apple store for repair, they attempted to charge me $29 when my device falls under the free replacement program which she neglected to mention. When I asked her questions about seeing this type of issue before or when I asked if other people have had this problem in the past she gave vague answers. It felt like they were being deceptive.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I agree the data loss is on me. It just added to the frustration. My quarrel with Apple is they could have personally notified affected devices and they did not. Then when I went to the Apple store for repair, they attempted to charge me $29 when my device falls under the free replacement program which she neglected to mention. When I asked her questions about seeing this type of issue before or when I asked if other people have had this problem in the past she gave vague answers. It felt like they were being deceptive.

It honestly sounds like the Apple Store did you a favor.

You experienced charging issues that seemed to be battery or power management chip related.

The iPhone 8 logic board service program affects phones experiencing "unexpected restarts, a frozen screen, or won't turn on." Your phone didn't have these symptoms and sounds like it didn't qualify for the program. You paid $29 and the Apple Store was able to use that to replace your phone.

Reactions: ouimetnick

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011

You may want to contact Apple corporate support and explain the situation with names of the employees of the store you went to.
If they are telling the logic board can’t be replaced for whatever reason that’s not your fault.
Maybe send a email to corporate.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
...My quarrel with Apple is they could have personally notified affected devices and they did not. Then when I went to the Apple store for repair, they attempted to charge me $29 when my device falls under the free replacement program which she neglected to mention. When I asked her questions about seeing this type of issue before or when I asked if other people have had this problem in the past she gave vague answers. It felt like they were being deceptive.
I've often felt that Apple puts some constraints on their retail staff as far as what they're allowed to say. That's not always a bad thing - but I do think it can make customers feel that they're being given a corporate-sanctioned canned response to a question instead of a simple, open and honest one. Hope you are able to get it all resolved and recover your data.

jb244661

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
It honestly sounds like the Apple Store did you a favor.

You experienced charging issues that seemed to be battery or power management chip related.

The iPhone 8 logic board service program affects phones experiencing "unexpected restarts, a frozen screen, or won't turn on." Your phone didn't have these symptoms and sounds like it didn't qualify for the program. You paid $29 and the Apple Store was able to use that to replace your phone.

My phone was not turning on period. When apple did a diagnostic test they phone would not power on even when they bypassed the battery and even when they replaced the battery (they only replaced the battery because the tech figured they might as well try just in case the diagnostic was wrong). They specifically said it was a logic board issue. Also, after going back to them and speaking to a few people they waived the $29. See my update for details.
[doublepost=1544733660][/doublepost]Update: I was able to recover all videos and photos by using a company named Flash Fixers in New Hampshire. They were awesome but it did cost $400 (which is relatively cheap for recovery work).

As for Apple, I did return and spoke to a few different people about my situation and being charged $29 when I fall under the service program. I worked with a guy who was very patient and helpful. Apparently the prior techs put in the work order incorrectly. He said the previous techs were supposed to send my phone off for repair first before offering a new phone. Either way, that was not on me so the $29 were waived and I was able to turn in my phone and get a new one.

Everything worked out. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.