Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justaperson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
Hello I just recently got my iPhone and I noticed straight out of the box that the mute switch makes a rattle sound. My previous iPhone 7(lost) and 5s didn't have a loose mute switch and felt very solid.
I just feel like apple should have a better quality control than this.
Would this problem concern you guys or am I being too OCD? Would you guys get a replecement?

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
Yeah...take it to Apple Store..I don’t have an 8..6s+..but it shouldn’t do that.. I’ve never had one do that either.. Do you have Apple near you?..

Reactions: Justaperson

Justaperson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
I bought it through my carrier and they have a 14 days return policy without any reasons as to why you want to return it.

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
Oh...that’s unfortunate... Apple store would hand you a new one.. I’m in US so not sure how things work where you are.. I’ve got 2 Apple stores near me and I’ve never had an issue with them swapping phones with problems..and I’ve only had a couple with problems.. I guess check with carrier on exchange policy..

Justaperson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
I'm going to return it. Just thinking if it is ethical/morally correct (for the environment as well) to do so as the problem is kinda minor but enough to bother me. I mean other than that the phone is functioning perfectly.
Do you guys know what is the smallest problem that someone returned their phone for?

xboxbml

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
Typically Apple store will swap with new phone for issues like that.. then I think they refurb. Not sure what carrier in Denmark would do..

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm going to return it. Just thinking if it is ethical/morally correct (for the environment as well) to do so as the problem is kinda minor but enough to bother me. I mean other than that the phone is functioning perfectly.
Do you guys know what is the smallest problem that someone returned their phone for?

With my prior iPhones, they all have had some slight rattle to them when the mute switch is not engaged. I have never heard mine rattle if the phone is on vibrate. It's your call, being nobody can physically see or hear it. But in the least, I would allow Apple to at least look at it and see what their thoughts are as well.

Here is a similar thread to your concern as well.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-8-mute-switch-slightly-loose.2093341/

Justaperson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
With my prior iPhones, they all have had some slight rattle to them when the mute switch is not engaged. I have never heard mine rattle if the phone is on vibrate. It's your call, being nobody can physically see or hear it. But in the least, I would allow Apple to at least look at it and see what their thoughts are as well.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-8-mute-switch-slightly-loose.2093341/

Hey thanks for you reply I will take a look at this thread :)
[doublepost=1513188638][/doublepost]

I have just taked a look at the post.
Do you think that the water sealing is compromised if the mute switch is loose?
My guess is that the water sealing is behind the moving mechanism of the mute switch, can't find any information about it though.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have just taked a look at the post.Do you think that the water sealing is compromised if the mute switch is loose? My guess is that the water sealing is behind the moving mechanism of the mute switch, can't find any information about it though.

I don't necessarily think the water resistance would be compromised if the mute switch was loose. Again, that would depend on how loose the switch actually is. But for a second opinion, I would have Apple assess the mute switch and then perhaps they might replace your iPhone based on that.

Something else to consider, is that not every iPhone button or mute switch all have the same tolerance. It could be slightly loose or tighter, but I don't necessarily think that makes it defective. Which is why I think Apple should look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.