Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBrokenBee

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
How has the experience been? I initially bought a iPhone 7 earlier this year and had to return it twice before I got a screen that was remotely even (disparity between the left and right side in terms of color). I ended up giving it to my dad who didnt really notice it.

I thought I'd give it another shot and ordered another 7 after 6 months recently after using a SE for a while. Maybe its just my luck but this display was the worst. It had some sort of dirt under the screen or dark patches towards the bottom.

How has iPhone 8 been so far? I am just so scared to buy one right now. I am using a $250 Honor 8 and it has a perfect screen.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The 8 Plus I had and the 8 Plus that my sister currently has had/have great screen uniformity. No splotches and no discoloration.

Disclaimer: This is intended as a serious reply. Thank you.

Reactions: 44267547

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
The first 8 I got had a slightly uneven screen with dinginess on the lower part of the screen. I exchanged it for a second one and the screen is near perfect. I think most people would say perfect. :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How has the experience been? I initially bought a iPhone 7 earlier this year and had to return it twice before I got a screen that was remotely even (disparity between the left and right side in terms of color). I ended up giving it to my dad who didnt really notice it.

I thought I'd give it another shot and ordered another 7 after 6 months recently after using a SE for a while. Maybe its just my luck but this display was the worst. It had some sort of dirt under the screen or dark patches towards the bottom.

How has iPhone 8 been so far? I am just so scared to buy one right now. I am using a $250 Honor 8 and it has a perfect screen.

At least on a tech forum, most seem to be pleased with their iPhone 8. I Think there will always will be manufacturing inconsistencies with a mass produced Item like the iPhone. But for the majority and Apples quality control, it's very good. Chances are you would likely receive a device with no issues, but even so, that's what warranties and returns are for.

TheBrokenBee

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
At least on a tech forum, most seem to be pleased with their iPhone 8. I Think there will always will be manufacturing inconsistencies with a mass produced Item like the iPhone. But for the majority and Apples quality control, it's very good. Chances are you would likely receive a device with no issues, but even so, that's what warranties and returns are for.

I can of course only speak for my own experience. I have gone through 4 iPhone 7s overall and none of them had a decent display. I am not exaggerating when I say that literally all of them had very glaring inconsistencies. My 6S was perfect but when I had to get that replaced for a unrelated issue, the replacement was pretty bad too.

I would love to have had the option to get it exchanged but in India we dont really have apple stores. Online retailers are happy to exchange once in a while but they get really uncomfortable when they see my account history of a few returns.

The irony is that the cheaper phones I have bought over the years have had such even displays. My honor 8 has a perfectly balanced display, so did the Redmi device before that. I dont really know whats going on with the Apple displays. The SE i had for a few months also had slightly uneven colors but I dealt with it because it wasnt so bad.

I really want a balanced screen with no other issues. After my iPhone 7 experience I am honestly a bit scared to get another 7 or a 8. I just dont want to go through the disappointment of returning it again.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I had an issue with my first 8 and a dark shadow on the bottom of the screen. Exchanged it and got a new one and the screen is great. Very even.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.