Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8 or X

• X - Silver

Votes: 37 88.1%
  • 8 - Gold

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

annoyingbaguette

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2022
Hi all, I recently lost my iPhone XR and need to get a new phone. I've decided that I will either get the Gold iPhone 8 or the Silver iPhone X. I know all the differences and that the X is obviously better, but my budget is tight and I can get the 8 for around $100 less. Which should I get?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The X definitely isn’t necessarily “better”. It was a first generation OLED device that has a flickering screen that really bothered a fair number of people (headaches, eye strain, dizziness).

I have an 8. It’s fine. Plenty fast. No problems.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Personally I say you should pick the iPhone X. Not only does it have a telephoto lens, it also has an OLED panel which can come in very handy, especially at night. I had an iPhone X and got my mother an iPhone 8 last year. The 8 is great, although the 10’s screen was better and considerably bigger.
As you also seem a little concerned about the colour, the iPhone X with its stainless steel frame does hold up without case a lot better. It also is significantly heavier and thicker though.
But the steel does age very nicely. In my opinion. One of the reasons why Steve Jobs liked the iPhone 4 with its stainless steel frame was because he thought the way it ages turns it into a unique but ever-changing personal feeling thing. I certainly agree with that. I rocked my iPhone X in black bare back as well. I would do the same with my silver 11 pro but am too clumsy with the smooth glass back.

Anyway, I think 100 bucks more for the X are worth it. At least they would be for me, solely because the screen this bigger and better and gestures are a lot more fluent.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
The X definitely isn’t necessarily “better”. It was a first generation OLED device that has a flickering screen that really bothered a fair number of people (headaches, eye strain, dizziness).

I have an 8. It’s fine. Plenty fast. No problems.
I had an X. It was better. Way faster. No problems. Like the majority of people from that post reported.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
IMO the 8 gold is the most beautiful iPhone ever made.
But I chose the silver X over the 8 back when they were released and I would again prefer the X today.
I agree that the 8 gold was the most beautiful iPhone ever made and I loved mine. However I did upgrade eventually to the X because of the larger screen. At my age the larger screen made all the difference.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
One other consideration I'd add as food-for-thought is that because the 8 has Home Button and X doesn't, going back from your XR "swipe-up" gesturing to the 8's Home button may take some getting used to again. And then eventually when you upgrade again, you'll have to go back to the swipe-up.

Reactions: N69AP

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
One other consideration I'd add as food-for-thought is that because the 8 has Home Button and X doesn't, going back from your XR "swipe-up" gesturing to the 8's Home button may take some getting used to again. And then eventually when you upgrade again, you'll have to go back to the swipe-up.
Isn’t it possible to swipe-up with the iPhone 8?
I have the iPad Air 3 with home button and I can swipe-up there too.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I would also go with the X, but if you are on a budget, maybe you should get the 8. Same SOC, will last you about the same time. Just be sure battery health is good

Guppy Guy

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2018
Baltimore, MD
Hi all, I recently lost my iPhone XR and need to get a new phone. I've decided that I will either get the Gold iPhone 8 or the Silver iPhone X. I know all the differences and that the X is obviously better, but my budget is tight and I can get the 8 for around $100 less. Which should I get?
Personally, I have the iPhone 8 which has worked well me for four years now; and the battery has aged okay at about 72% currently. Unfortunately, I went with the 64gb model partly due to availability of the 128 and cost in general.

I would not want to have a smaller storage option on an iPhone after what I've been through with the 64gb; too many problems with storage fore apps and updates. I use iCloud extensively but 64gb is just too small. If you can get an 8 with decent storage it's a great device, speeds are good and it has held up well to Mary years of solid use although I am not hand on my devices. I'm still using an iPad Air 2 as a YouTube screen so that my iPad Pro is just for working.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
the one thing nobody has mentioned yet either is the ram. Yes they have the same A11 chip but the regular 8 only has 2gb of ram vs 3 for the x. That alone will make a big difference in its performance.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
the one thing nobody has mentioned yet either is the ram. Yes they have the same A11 chip but the regular 8 only has 2gb of ram vs 3 for the x. That alone will make a big difference in its performance.
That’s right but I agree with the poster above. I would chose the 8 with 128GB (better 256GB) over the X with 64GB

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
That’s right but I agree with the poster above. I would chose the 8 with 128GB (better 256GB) over the X with 64GB
I wouldn't be worrying about lots of storage on a device with 2 gigs of ram and running out of time to stay as a daily driver just for usability

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Get the X. It has 3GB of RAM. The 8 only has 2GB of RAM, and might be on the chopping block off OS support earlier than the X.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Try to increase you budget slightly and pick up a used SE 2020… it’ll be good for around 3 years so it’s definitely worth the money.

If you have to pick between those 2 then I’d go for the 8. I loved my 8 and never had any problems with it over 2.5 years of use.

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
Try to increase you budget slightly and pick up a used SE 2020… it’ll be good for around 3 years so it’s definitely worth the money.

If you have to pick between those 2 then I’d go for the 8. I loved my 8 and never had any problems with it over 2.5 years of use.
I have the SE 2020 as a back up phone and it utterly sucks on iOS 16.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.