Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
How much better is the camera? Im trying to see if I can maybe sell my 7+ if the Camera really is better.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
How much better is the camera? Im trying to see if I can maybe sell my 7+ if the Camera really is better.
Do not upgrade to iPhone 8+ iPhone 8 Plus is an iPhone 7 Plus with minor tweaks. Upgrading it to 8 Plus is so no worthy upgrade for the price you will pay. Stay with the 7 plus and wait until next year upgrade which will be better than 8 Plus, unless you want to upgrade to the X, which is a worthy upgrade.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Do not upgrade to iPhone 8+ iPhone 8 Plus is an iPhone 7 Plus with minor tweaks. Upgrading it to 8 Plus is so no worthy upgrade for the price you will pay. Stay with the 7 plus and wait until next year upgrade which will be better than 8 Plus, unless you want to upgrade to the X, which is a worthy upgrade.

There’s hardly any difference in camera quality between the 8 plus and X, why’s one worthless and the other one is worthy?

Reactions: sartrekid

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I wouldn't say it's drastic of a difference between both cameras. Personally, I'm not a photo enthusiast, and I really can't tell much of a difference between both cameras on the iPhone 7 Plus and 8+. However the 8+ does have Portrait Lighting, which is a really neat feature that iPhone 7 Plus does not have.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I wouldn't say it's drastic of a difference between both cameras. Personally, I'm not a photo enthusiast, and I really can't tell much of a difference between both cameras on the iPhone 7 Plus and 8+. However the 8+ does have Portrait Lighting, which is a really neat feature that iPhone 7 Plus does not have.

7 plus has the portrait mode though.

terps2005

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
The market is flooded with 7+ devices now. They're going for between 525 and 625 depending on the storage on swappa. I had both and to me the upgrade to the 8+ was not worth it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The market is flooded with 7+ devices now. They're going for between 525 and 625 depending on the storage on swappa. I had both and to me the upgrade to the 8+ was not worth it.

I like the iPhone 8 Plus, but if somebody was upgrading from the iPhone 7 Plus, it's not that much of a difference. But anything under the iPhone 7, would be a substantial upgrade to the iPhone 8.

Reactions: KONVICTED

Sunnyday2017

Suspended
Nov 10, 2017
If you don’t care about the below, do not get the 8 or 8 plus, and wait till next year

Camera is slightly better than the iPhone 7 camera in low light situations. Go to some of the YouTube comparisons video
Glass front and back
Wireless charging
CPU/GPU is faster
4K at 60 fps recording

Reactions: sartrekid

Turtle69Turtle

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
I’d put it like this , if the X didn’t come out this year, I would still have my 7 Plus. The 8 Plus didn’t seem like a worthy upgrade to me. But of course that’s just me .

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I actually started a thread about this as well. I’ve pretty much decided to hold on to my 7 Plus one more year. It’s a fantastic phone overall and honestly, I’ve got no complaints on anything. I’m not wishing for more speed (The A11 in real world use isn’t hardly any quicker than the A10), or a better screen, or really even much better photos. I’ve never had wireless charging so I’m not missing anything at this point. Honestly, even if I sold my 7 Plus for $500-$550, is still have to pay $500 excluding Apple care for the iPhone 8 Plus...definitely not worth that at all. And after running numbers today thinking over a possible upgrade, the iPhone X isn’t worth an additional $600-$650, again excluding Apple Care, over my iPhone 7 Plus. I’ve only used 37GB out of the 128GB and aside from some recent bugs with the battery and phone apps it’s been fast and smooth. I’m always quick to jump at the new iPhones but this will probably be the first year I skip a generation.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
There’s hardly any difference in camera quality between the 8 plus and X, why’s one worthless and the other one is worthy?
Because the camera is not the defining factor.
From 7+ to 8+ has even less improvement than from 6s+ to 7+, at least you would get the dual camera and water proofing.
[doublepost=1511401233][/doublepost]
I’d put it like this , if the X didn’t come out this year, I would still have my 7 Plus. The 8 Plus didn’t seem like a worthy upgrade to me. But of course that’s just me .
When Apple was announcing the iPhone 8 series the audience was just completely silent. :D

Reactions: x-evil-x

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
If you have a 7 Plus I wouldn't recommend upgrading unless you're getting the X for the display. This is an S year. People with S phones upgrade. If you have a 7 there's no real point in upgrading unless like I said you want the X for the display. I upgraded but that's only because I'm in the iPhone Upgrade Program & I wanted the X.

Reactions: nfl46

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
8 Plus, IMO, may be worth the upgrade from the 7 Plus. To me there are more than just some “minor” tweaks.

- Glass back. To me feels much better than my 7 Plus
- Wireless charging.
- Faster processor
- Better cams:
- 4K @ 60 FPS video
- Deeper pixels (I shoot in raw almost exclusively so jpg comparisons are worthess to me)
- Slow sync flash (this is kind of a big deal)

Just to name a few.

I'm seriously considering the same upgrade and just wait for the next wave of iPhones “x” type phones in late 2018 for a further upgrade.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I agree its a small difference. I went from a 7+ to a 8+. I'm giving the 7+ to my dad because his 6 wifi is not working correctly. To me, the color in the camera is more pleasing to the eye. Minor difference but its noticeable to me, and I wanted better low light which the 8 plus has. For daylight pics they're basically the same. Also close up pics are really amazing.

I wanted the 8+ because I'm going on vacation and wanted the best smartphone camera from apple without going with the X. I notice the difference when you use flash, its more natural looking.
[doublepost=1511407480][/doublepost]
8 Plus, IMO, may be worth the upgrade from the 7 Plus. To me there are more than just some “minor” tweaks.

- Wireless charging.
- Faster processor
- Better cams:
- 4K @ 60 FPS video
- Deeper pixels (I shoot in raw almost exclusively so jpg comparisons are worthess to me)

Just to name a few.

I'm seriously considering the same upgrade and just wait for the next wave of iPhones “x” type phones in late 2018 for a further upgrade.

I agree slow sync flash is a big difference. When I take close up pics of my dog at night you can tell i'm using flash but with the 8 plus it more natural.

Also I have to say trutone is also great. It makes whites look natural depending on the lighting conditions.

I haven't used wireless charging yet but I know I'm getting a cheap charge pad for work next year for my desk and another wiireless portable charger for home charging at night.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

- Wireless charging.
- Faster processor
- Better cams:
- 4K @ 60 FPS video

Just to name a few.

I didn't know about Slow sync flash. This is huge.

Reactions: Farsider

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I don't think anyone with a 7/7+ should move to the 8s.
I am just not that keen on the x so far with face ID and the new swipe gestures.
I actually like the 8 plus coming from a 6s. I' considering it. I even got a note 8 and I am still on the fence....

Reactions: KONVICTED

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Because the camera is not the defining factor.
From 7+ to 8+ has even less improvement than from 6s+ to 7+, at least you would get the dual camera and water proofing.

The OP has started this thread with only the camera in context. That tells me that he’s not concerned about anything else other than that.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
I see the 8 Plus as a great upgrade from the 6S Plus and before only. It’s still a better phone in every respect than the 7 Plus (as it should be) but its not worth the money to upgrade to. Wait until next year.

Reactions: GuruZac

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I see the 8 Plus as a great upgrade from the 6S Plus and before only. It’s still a better phone in every respect than the 7 Plus (as it should be) but its not worth the money to upgrade to. Wait until next year.
This post probably sums it up best. Better than the iPhone 7 Plus, as it should be, but only very incrementally. From an iPhone 6s Plus and before, definitely worth the upgrade.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines

No one except the person who is considering the switch can decide if it’s worth the money or not. To you, maybe not, too someone else, something like slow sync flash and/or 4K @ 60 FPS may be worth the money. FWIW, I’ll probably do that swap and wait another year to see what Apple does with their next gen of “X” type phones. Considering that i can still sell my (pristine) 7 Plus for a great price, moving to the 8 Plus is kind of a easy decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.