Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sammyjo20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Hey everyone,

New to these forums but wanted to put up here an issue I've been having with my brand new iPhone 8 Plus. Since I updated to iOS 11.4 (I was on 11.3.1 when I bought my phone), my battery has been going down much faster than it did before the update. It goes down quite quickly as I'm using it. I used to get 2 days out of it with lots of usage but since the update, it seems to scrape just a day and a half.

Edit: I just remember being super impressed with the battery life at first, but after the update, it just seems to be going down rather fast.

Anyone else having this issue with their iPhone?

- Sam

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hey everyone,

New to these forums but wanted to put up here an issue I've been having with my brand new iPhone 8 Plus. Since I updated to iOS 11.4 (I was on 11.3.1 when I bought my phone), my battery has been going down much faster than it did before the update. It goes down quite quickly as I'm using it. I used to get 2 days out of it with lots of usage but since the update, it seems to scrape just a day and a half.

Edit: I just remember being super impressed with the battery life at first, but after the update, it just seems to be going down rather fast.

Anyone else having this issue with their iPhone?

- Sam
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/11-4-se-fast-battery-drain.2120873/

Reactions: Sammyjo20

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I don't know how long ago you installed iOS 11.4, but for the first few days, battery life was really, really bad on my 8Plus. I was getting half the usage time out of it compared to 11.3.1, but eventually it started to equal itself out. I would say I'm about on par with 11.3.1 now, maybe a tad worse.

Sammyjo20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I don't know how long ago you installed iOS 11.4, but for the first few days, battery life was really, really bad on my 8Plus. I was getting half the usage time out of it compared to 11.3.1, but eventually it started to equal itself out. I would say I'm about on par with 11.3.1 now, maybe a tad worse.

It's been around a week now I've had it, and I gave it a few days to get used to the update. It's been okay the last couple of days, but there is a loss of battery life for sure. Even if they don't fix this until iOS 12, I can put up with it, it's just a shame really!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It's been around a week now I've had it, and I gave it a few days to get used to the update. It's been okay the last couple of days, but there is a loss of battery life for sure. Even if they don't fix this until iOS 12, I can put up with it, it's just a shame really!
Are you using iCloud messages? Maybe toggle it on then off, its possible its trying to sync in the background when it shouldn't be.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015

I have heard when we update iOS the phone takes a while to index and can cause battery drain. I know there are a lot more intelligent people on this forum who can comment on that than me though.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I have heard when we update iOS the phone takes a while to index and can cause battery drain. I know there are a lot more intelligent people on this forum who can comment on that than me though.
That’s the general consensus. What is unknown is how long the process can take. Some say 15 minutes, others a day. I guess it depends on how much is on your device. Usually after the second day, my device is back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.