Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I’m curious when this phone might start experiencing random shut downs. It’s my old phone my moms been using for the last couple years. She has no intention of upgrading it as she doesn’t use it for much more than calling and texts.

So far she hasn’t had any issues with battery life or performance. I just happen to check over her phone for updates and decided to check the battery health and seen it at 79%. Apple is giving a warning about battery degrading under the battery health as well

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
When the battery gets really old and it’s really cold, the phone can crash. It simply re-springs. Turns off suddenly then automatically restarts. It’s only a 30 second inconvenience. I’ve never had it do it twice in a day.

After the first crash, iOS will throttle the cpu from then on, slowing the phone down to prevent another crash but you can disable that throttling in the battery health section of settings… until the next crash, etc.

An iPhone battery that’s at 79% is pretty worked. You don’t have 79% of what you had when it was at 100% and new.
An iPhone battery that’s at 65% is for all intents & purposes unusable, so 65% is actually more like zero and 79% is really like 54% life left.

Last edited:

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Mine just hit 79 but generally speaking, it's ok until it drops down to low to mid 70s. After that, it nose dives and battery life is very significantly reduced (think: do some intensive tasks and battery is quickly depleted)

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
My iPhone 8’s battery health is at 87%. I get about four hours SOT on Wi-Fi, and two hours SOT on LTE. I only do web browsing. But the phone is blazing fast, even with the latest iOS update! Thinking of upgrading rather than replacing battery.

Last edited:

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
My daughter is clinging to her Gen1 iPhone SE. She had the battery replaced by Apple for $49 about a year ago and still loves it. "From her cold dead fingers..."

I keep offering to get her an iPhone Mini or the newer SE but she adamantly refuses. Compare and contrast with my wife, who uses about 1/4 of the features of her iPhone, and asks em constantly if she has the latest/greatest. "Should I be upgrading?" She glommed my 11 Pro Max and is now eyeing my 13 Pro Max rather suspiciously.

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
My daughter is clinging to her Gen1 iPhone SE. She had the battery replaced by Apple for $49 about a year ago and still loves it. "From her cold dead fingers..."

I keep offering to get her an iPhone Mini or the newer SE but she adamantly refuses. Compare and contrast with my wife, who uses about 1/4 of the features of her iPhone, and asks em constantly if she has the latest/greatest. "Should I be upgrading?" She glommed my 11 Pro Max and is now eyeing my 13 Pro Max rather suspiciously.
That's a fascinating family dynamic. Both parents more open to the latest and greatest, you don't see that often. I'm older and am a software engineer and therefore somewhat of a tech nerd. My wife, daughter and younger son (an engineer) don't really care whether they have the latest and greatest either, as long as they can take pictures, make calls, text and email, they are happy. Life's funny.

Last edited:

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Thanks for the responses everyone, sounds like it will need to be replaced fairly soon. She doesn’t mind paying to have the battery replaced, as I said, she basically just uses it as a phone. I just got her an iPad 9 for Christmas as she uses the iPad as her computer for home and her old 5th gen was starting to act up.

Just want to make sure it doesn’t start failing her while she’s out at about and suddenly doesn’t have access to a phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.