Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionFigures

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Hey will Apple still replace your battery with a cracked glass back or would they require the back to be fixed first? The videos I've seen go in through the front of the phone and the glass just has a crack in it no pieces or anything falling off so was just curious.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Hey will Apple still replace your battery with a cracked glass back or would they require the back to be fixed first? The videos I've seen go in through the front of the phone and the glass just has a crack in it no pieces or anything falling off so was just curious.
If you’re worried about it just buy a skin for the rear glass and they won’t know about the crack

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
More likely than not, they will ask you to repair the crack first.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Battery replacement isn't risk free. There's a significant chance that something will get broken (by Apple) when they remove the screen. They wrecked my iPhone 7 replacing the screen. Phone speaker doesn't work anymore.
Lesson: only replace the battery if it makes the phone totally unusable cuz apple might botch the repair

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Battery replacement isn't risk free. There's a significant chance that something will get broken (by Apple) when they remove the screen. They wrecked my iPhone 7 replacing the screen. Phone speaker doesn't work anymore.

When Apple borked your iPhone 7, did you ever purchase that iPhone 8 you were considering?

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Lesson: only replace the battery if it makes the phone totally unusable cuz apple might botch the repair
After they wrecked the phone did you have them give you a free replacement?

Reactions: WingsAndBeer

ActionFigures

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
See the upside is, if they botch the repair I'll get a brand new phone anyway but didn't know if they would turn me away with the crack even though they go through the front of the phone for the replacement.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
See the upside is, if they botch the repair I'll get a brand new phone anyway but didn't know if they would turn me away with the crack even though they go through the front of the phone for the replacement.
I’d say theres a 90-95% chance they won’t repair a damaged phone that’s why I suggested to put a skin on the back with some texture to hide the back. If they attempt a repair and damage the rear of the phone causing the cracks to be much worse or pieces fall off and become a risk for injury they would be responsible to replace the phone which I’m sure they don’t want to do. I guess you can give it a try and if they refuse you can always try the skin so it depends if you have the time to spare

Reactions: DevinNj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.