Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nduug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
Hi,

My elderly mum has my wife's old iPhone 8 Plus. She knows nothing about these things and so I've set it up with nothing but homescreen-shortcuts that have pictures of our faces so she can FaceTime her loved ones. She uses the phone for nothing else. There's the weather widget and the battery widget on the homescreen. All she does is start these shortcuts or answer FaceTime calls.

The last couple of months our FaceTime calls don't seem to come in any more. The phone doesn't ring and there's no record of a missed call.

I've narrowed it down to the fact that if the iPhone hasn't been lifted or handled for a long while; then it won't ring. Just lifting the phone and waking the screen seems to solve it for a while but it keeps coming back.

It's still on its original battery (81%) but the problem doesn't seem connected to a drained battery. Every other function on the iPhone works fine and it was always taken good care of.

I'm thinking maybe there some kind of "sleep mode" that the iPhone doesn't get out of... maybe due to the old battery.
I wouldn't mind replacing the old battery but I'm hoping someone here knows if that's the issue or it could be something else?
It's not like my mum needs a new battery, she's always home so she's never out of juice. It's just nicer to see her loved ones than to just hear them.

Any help is much appreciated !

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.